Spyder Garage

Default 2023 RT exhaust sounds tinny - is this normal?

My new 2023 Spyder RT Sea to Sky’s exhaust sounds tinny. Not like a motorcycle and not like a car. Is this the normal sound of a Spyder?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2023 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Sadly, Yes!

The 'tinny' noise itself has got a bit to do with the lack of tupperware on these models (unlike earlier RT's ); somewhat more to do with the exhaust & catalytic converter, the latter of which is basically just a heat generation device that adds a weight penalty; and a whole lot to do with the design of the motor itself - it's a transverse, in-line, triple cylinder, 4-stroke, Dual Over Head Camshaft motor, so because of how it runs & fires those cylinders, it's pretty much going to sound juuust a little 'tinny' regardless - sorta like a kid going berserk with a home-made rattle made out of an empty tin can half full of gravel, and nothing really helps disguise that part of the noise...

If you want to change the 'exhaust note' a little - cos nothing will change anything about it too much, aside from its volume ... then losing the catalytic converter can make the exhaust note just a little deeper, freeing up some top end grunt at the cost of a tiny amount of low-end torque; or swapping out the muffler for something less restrictive can make it louder & often more obnoxious or harshly tinny... Or you can look at the combined offerings from some of our sponsors, and maybe do both a cat-delete (to get rid of the catalytic converter, losing some heat & weight in the process) and fitting a free-er flowing muffler, possibly with a baffle or two (to counteract the extra noise output)??

Lamonster & RLS Exhausts both have some good offerings, and there's a few vids on-line that'll let you listen to the noise output from the various mufflers/converter/resonator combinations - but really, to some degree, that 'tinny' sound is going to be a part of the package whatever you do!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-23-2023 at 08:56 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I take it yours didn't come with the Essentials package or include the Akrapovic Exhaust? If that's the case then the Akrapovic Exhaust add's a bit more throaty sound without being tractor loud. I've had the Sport 3C on my past 998 and it sounded great, also ran it with a Cat Delete.
    BRP Akrapovic exhaust options.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I take it yours didn't come with the Essentials package or include the Akrapovic Exhaust? If that's the case then the Akrapovic Exhaust add's a bit more throaty sound without being tractor loud. I've had the Sport 3C on my past 998 and it sounded great, also ran it with a Cat Delete.
    BRP Akrapovic exhaust options.jpg
    I had an Acropovic exhaust and wasn't impressed .... I think new they are in $ 800 + cost area , so I would listen to one before shelling out that kind of loot . $$$$ .... Plus there is ZERO power gain..... it's all about sound .....JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

It doesn't have to be noisy to get the job done.

If it spins ya wheels fit a straight pipe - rip out the factory stuff and fit some straight pipes like the HD potato potato riders.
    Then you could join the Ultra Cooooowelllll Dudes Club and announce to folk for some distance all around that you're out and about.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2023 at 01:18 AM. Reason: dosnt ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Our 2020 RTL doesn't sound *that* bad. For example, more like a "regular" car and less like a classic Volkswagen. My wife is very sensitive to sharp noises and doesn't mind the RTL exhaust.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A cat delete and a tail gunner exhaust ought to do it. If you live in Maryland they'll hear you in Jersey for sure.

Spyder Garage

I am really liking the quietness on my 2022 S2S. This will be the first of 20+ that I have owned that I'm going to keep the exhaust stock. I can hear my music

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't change my 2020 RTL for anything. I like it being quiet.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I also like that the sound is not that loud on my 2023 S2S, but would like it a little deeper.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2023 at 05:02 AM. Reason: ST'S ceased production in about 2016... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Our 2023 RT L sounds a lot like the 2019 RT L did. I wouldn’t call it tinny. It’s not loud and I like it that way.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I and my neighbors agree in the pleasant quietness.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I live on a backroad, that also happens to be a nice ride for motorcyclists of all kinds, but particularly the Hogs with drag/straight pipes, and it gets real Annoying, so I can appreciate a good sounding stock machine like my F3S
    . Like the guy down our rd who has a stock Hayabusa that sounds excellent and powerful stock. Maybe we'll rub off on folks but I doubt it. ;-)>

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At least it's not a Goldwing. With one of them you can ride up behind a guy and bump him in the butt before he knows you're there!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I did the cat delete and i wish i could make it sound deeper but i also like my music more.

Spyder Garage

I installed the cat delete and chrome Akrapovic muffler. I love the look, but thought the sound was too loud at first. After a few months, I've come to love the sound. Either it quieted down a little, or I've lost a bit of my hearing.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I wouldn't change my 2020 RTL for anything. I like it being quiet.
    I second this. After trying out an RLS crusher exhaust, for reasons beyond it just being louder, I decided that stock is the way to go, so I sold it. At higher speeds, the RLS gave me headaches. I suffer from sinus issues and louder noises have an affect on them.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Simple solution: wear decent earplugs while riding and the "tinniness" disappears. The only time that the engine sounds tinny to me is the rare occasions when I am not only not wearing earplugs but also not wearing a helmet. Usually that only happens after a ride, when i fill up the gas tank, and then have a mile to ride to my garage. I get a bit more annoyed at the sound from the drive belt between 45 and 50 mph than the sound of the exhaust.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

We do a lot of cat deletes with the stock exhaust installs. While the in-line triple will never sound like a V-Twin. It does sound more 'Manly' with a somewhat deeper tone. At the same time, noise volume increases only slightly at cruise, but more significantly at full throttle. For the cost, a very nice upgrade.

So far, everyone has been happy with the change. And as others have said. You get rid of that heavy, 800~1,200 degree heat box cooking you and everything else.

If you want even less 'Tin' sound and heat, you can wrap the pipes with exhaust tape. Also an inexpensive, very nice upgrade to the system.

I'm not convinced there is zero HP gain. The computer does not put a cap on power output. (though it does limit throttle response and WOT position at times) The computer simply adjusts the air/fuel mixture to match airflow. If you free up the exhaust, airflow increases and (theoretically) increases the air charge volume, leaning out the mixture. The computer then adds more fuel to bring the mix back to where it should be. This should increase power. Granted, the difference will not be significant. But my feeling is that it is there. Otherwise, there would be issues with engines running too lean. Especially with one of the obnoxiously loud exhaust pipes with zero restriction and back pressure.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-26-2023 at 07:16 PM. Reason: crus ... ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 2020 RTL had a Akrapovic muffler put on it. When I traded for a 2022 F3L, I had the muffler taken off and put it on the new bike. I like the sound. Stock sounds like a small compact car rather than a bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2023 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)