Spyder Garage

Default From a Beloved 2001 Wing to a 2014 Spyder RTL in 23 years

Hello Spyder Members!

Ok, so we are still acclimating to this strange vehicle with the three wheels. Admittingly we're attempting to bring it to the the same comfort level that we enjoyed with the wing for eight years together on rides. I've about become adapted to the new approach to maneuvering through tighter mountainous curves, but am, like before with the wing, not satisfied with the dampening performance when encountering rough road, of which there seems to be a lot these days. We finally remedied the wing with traxxion dynamics earlier this year, but a month later encountered a rut leading to a deep divot on Hwy 38 towards Big Bear that left us sliding into the guardrail on the opposite side of the road. I rode that bike 190K miles and in one second it transformed to rubble. I'm wondering if upgrading the shocks on our pearl white "Cream Puff" to Elka or Race Tech will make that much of a difference in smoothing out what the road repair workers should be on top of in this country. I realize there's no substitute for well-maintained, smooth roads. $2400 seems like a ridiculous expenditure at this juncture in time. Will it be worth it?
    Last edited by musicalmessenger; 09-21-2023 at 09:10 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lots of post on this subject if you use the search box top right side. 1.) Seat time with the Spyder (1000 miles or more) 2.) Laser alignment can help 3.) Bajaron swaybar can help. 4.) Tires. 5.) If you still need help with handling Shocks. Start with the low cost stuff first; it just may fix what you think is wrong. This is just my thoughts. On the new to you 2014 Spyder RTL
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If you haven’t already done so, you might want to find a 2020 and up Spyder RTL to demo.. at a dealer, rental or Spyder riding course… just for comparison. Also.. too much air in the tires will leave it bouncing around like a beach ball…
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I've tweaked both a '13 RTL and '18 RTL, starting with Baja Ron Front Shock Preload adjusters, Baja Ron Ultimate sway bar (because I'm 260lbs), If your '14 still has the stock Kenda front tires, consider replacing them with non-kenda tires, and if those don't give you significant improvements, M2 also has upgraded shocks that are custom built / tuned to the Ryder (or Ryder passenger).
    My most recent list of front tire possibilities gleaned from this forum includes
    Yokohama Avid S34FA 175/55R15,
    Kumho Solus KH17 175/65R15
    Continental ContiProContact's 165/60 R15
    Federal Formoza FD2 165/55 R15
    Federal Formoza AZ01 165/55 15
    Vredestein Quatrac 165/60/15
    Vredestein Q5's 175/55R-15

But before doing any of that, as others have already suggested, get some miles on your new ride (plus it will help you appreciate the finished farkles even more....)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicalmessenger View Post
    Hello Spyder Members!

Ok, so we are still acclimating to this strange vehicle with the three wheels. Admittingly we're attempting to bring it to the the same comfort level that we enjoyed with the wing for eight years together on rides. I've about become adapted to the new approach to maneuvering through tighter mountainous curves, but am, like before with the wing, not satisfied with the dampening performance when encountering rough road, of which there seems to be a lot these days. We finally remedied the wing with traxxion dynamics earlier this year, but a month later encountered a rut leading to a deep divot on Hwy 38 towards Big Bear that left us sliding into the guardrail on the opposite side of the road. I rode that bike 190K miles and in one second it transformed to rubble. I'm wondering if upgrading the shocks on our pearl white "Cream Puff" to Elka or Race Tech will make that much of a difference in smoothing out what the road repair workers should be on top of in this country. I realize there's no substitute for well-maintained, smooth roads. $2400 seems like a ridiculous expenditure at this juncture in time. Will it be worth it?
    Do you have a stock sway bar? If so I would start there, and ride it for a few miles, you will see a difference in a few miles, trust me! BajaRon will fix you up! Then if you want to take it another notch, take the crappy shocks off, that will make another big change. Then tires will be the cherry on top! By doing one thing at a time and putting some miles on between each one you will see the change and be able to make the decision whether that's enough and you will not have to spend any more money, or you have to go further. I have gone up to step two so far with my bike and waiting to wear out my front tires so I can get to step three, but I have found that just the sway bar and shocks have made my pucker factor very much happier than before, and my pocket hasn't got a big hole in it by stretching out the way I have. Good luck, be safe!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2023 at 07:04 AM. Reason: dissition; weather; frount; hassn't ... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I owned a 2014 RTL from 2014 to 2020. Put on over 40,000 trouble free miles. That was my favorite of the three RT's I owned over the years.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-25-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I owned a 2014 RTL from 2014 to 2020. Put on over 40,000 trouble free miles. That was my favorited of the three RT's I owned over the years.
    I totally love our 2014 RTL as well
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21