Spyder Garage

Default Any reason a forklift can't be used to lift up a Spyder for service?

Has anyone who owns a forklift tried this?

I'm relatively new to the Spyder game. I am ready for a new set of tires on my 2021 RT Limited. After reading several threads on this site (great site by the way), and watching multiple YouTube videos showcasing how to safely lift the entire bike, it has me wondering if my forklift would achieve the same goal? I don't see why it wouldn't, but would like to hear real world experiences. Everything I've read so far, says picking up the bike from the left side would be best.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Northernsledder; 09-20-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Northernsledder View Post

I'm relatively new to the Spyder game. I am ready for a new set of tires on my 2021 RT Limited. After reading several threads on this site (great site by the way), and watching multiple YouTube videos showcasing how to safely lift the entire bike, it has me wondering if my forklift would achieve the same goal? I don't see why it wouldn't, but would like to hear real world experiences. Everything I've read so far, says picking up the bike from the left side would be best.

Thanks!
    Well it depends on how far apart the FORKS are......I've never seen a Forklift that I would use on a Spyder ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

If the forks are level it should work fine. You would have to avoid a couple of hanging items. If you did it for oil changes you would need to put it on stands after lifting so you could get to the drain plugs.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The centre bar that the forks would go under is only 4” wide. The Spyder is therefore very unstable and can tip to either side.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hi and welcome to the forum Northernsledder.

Lifting the Spyder with a forklift is doable of course, but it has to be done safely and within the forklift's limits.
    Are you just planning to get it off the ground so you can get under there and change oil and filters?
    I would never feel safe going under there unless I put the Spyder on stands first. I have seen cars and various things fallen off forks a few times due to people thinking "I am just going to do a quick job, so it is good"
    I have lifted my 2012 Spyder using three fiber round slings and a "chain winch" (do not know the English word for it) mounted in a workshop ceiling where I used to work, so many options to get it off the ground, just be sure to secure it before you go under there to work.
    Hope you find a good safe solution
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-21-2023 at 04:01 AM. Reason: ' 's +
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

15661E2F-9EF6-4007-8AB5-E2C156889CDC.jpg skilled operator & level -long forks (maybe specialized) Shop does move lot of boat /jet ski trailers & such.** pic from 2019**
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-21-2023 at 03:45 AM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum Northernsledder.

Lifting the Spyder with a forklift is doable of course, but it has to be done safely and within the forklift's limits.
    Are you just planning to get it off the ground so you can get under there and change oil and filters?
    I would never feel safe going under there unless I put the Spyder on stands first. I have seen cars and various things fallen off forks a few times due to people thinking "I am just going to do a quick job, so it is good"
    I have lifted my 2012 Spyder using three fiber round slings and a "chain winch" (do not know the English word for it) mounted in a workshop ceiling where I used to work, so many options to get it off the ground, just be sure to secure it before you go under there to work.
    Hope you find a good safe solution
    That is a great idea!!!! Please give us or me more pictures on where and how you have it rigged up!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Northernsledder View Post

Thanks!
    If I had a forklift, I would make a framework that slides under the bike and makes contact with the frame in such a way that it is hitting the frame at three areas. The frame under mine is in a T shape, the top of the T shoots out towards the tires, the tail shoots down to the tail. If you hit those spots at the ends of the T and your forks are level when you lift, it should be rock solid and stable to do anything you may want to do! Good luck be safe!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Don't have a forklift, but I do have a pretty heavy duty front end loader, on a 4x4 farm tractor. I have lifted more motorcycles and trikes than I could count with it, but I don't lift from under the bikes. I use slings to lift from above. I have had to lift 2 wheel bikes on to trailers, lifted trikes on to trailers, and lifted them in the shop to push some blocks under them so something under could be worked on. Most any hardware or trailer sales place will have non-marking nylon choker slings that you can lift with, and not have to get up under the bikes. You can lift from most any of the frame members if you don't choke down on any brake lines or wires. Front ends can lift from the forks on two wheelers, or the suspension framework for reverse trikes. Anything that will support the full weight of the vehicle when it is sitting on the ground, will also support it when you lift from the top side. Might need to fab some spreader bars to get the proper rigging, but it is not rocket surgery.

Inside the shop, I lift it with the same nylon sling rigging on a 2 ton engine lift. Lot easier to move an engine crane on dolly rollers around inside a shop than it is to maneuver the front end loader in there. Pick up one end at the time and set it back down on jack stands.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 09-21-2023 at 08:35 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    That is a great idea!!!! Please give us or me more pictures on where and how you have it rigged up!!
    That is the only picture from that set up, sorry !
    In front I put slings around the lower arms on the front suspention. In the rear end I put a sling through the rearwheel rim and had both end going up to a spreader bar that was hooked in the crane to prevent squeeze on the rear plastic parts when lifting.
    Hope you can picture this and my explanation is understandable !
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The forklift is a great idea. I like it. Just remember the spyder is designed to support its weight from below, not above. So if you sling from above you are reversing the direction its construction was designed for. Be careful.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    The forklift is a great idea. I like it. Just remember the spyder is designed to support its weight from below, not above. So if you sling from above you are reversing the direction its construction was designed for. Be careful.
    I totally agree, that is why I lifted in the front suspention arms and through the rearwheel rim. That will have same effect as if the Spyder stood on a pallet.
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Yes, a forklift works well! I took my time on placement, and the machine picked up level with the outsides of each fork set at 14" apart. Now, I didn't move the machine around. Just picked it straight up off the floor to allow easy installation of my new Baja Ron sway bar. I also installed a new set of Elka stage II shocks.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Northernsledder; 11-13-2023 at 07:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Here we go.
    Last edited by Northernsledder; 11-13-2023 at 07:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

No problem.
    I have a 4000 pound forklift, and will be using it to lift up my Sea2Sky.
    Strategically placed blocking on the forks with the forks placed properly (basically where the Big Blue places their lift points) under the machine.
    Will lift it right up.