Spyder Garage

Default How to remove plugs from the Freedom Trailer Draw bar?

I purchased a trailer stand yesterday, in preparation for a trip starting tomorrow, but I can find no install information. I have a 2017 Can-Am freedom trailer and before starting the install, I have to remove the existing metal plugs from the mounting holes. I have not found information using the search function here, maybe I didn't use the proper wording. Short of taking it to a trailer shop or my Honda dealer, I'm at a stand still. Anyone out there with experience or ideas please advise.
    Last edited by Flylow; 09-20-2023 at 02:37 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don’t understand what you’re talking about. Plugs on the draw bar???
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

As always, a picture would help.

Not knowing exactly what you're talking about will keep you from getting good answers.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

If you are talking about un-punched hole markings on a trailer frame, you can't remove them. That is just to show you where to drill to mount a tongue jack. Depending on which tongue jack you have, the marked holes may not even be in the right place. Find out what you are dealing with first. Sometimes you have to drill the holes.

Picture would be nice. If the holes are already punched out, they would probably have rubber plugs in them.

Really, the time to find out what you are dealing with, is before you purchase a stand.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go to https://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html#tab=1 and search for part # 219400190.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Go to https://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html#tab=1 and search for part # 219400190.
    You do know these instruction are mainly for service techs? Call a dealer and ask them. I’m f you bought the trailer (or the tongue stand) from a dealer then they should do the install.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    You do know these instruction are mainly for service techs? Call a dealer and ask them.
    What difference does that make? The instructions are those that are included with any accessory you buy from BRP. Of course you do need to be somewhat mechanically competent in order to understand them. My experience with them is they are reasonably comprehensive and well worth having.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What difference does that make? The instructions are those that are included with any accessory you buy from BRP. Of course you do need to be somewhat mechanically competent in order to understand them. My experience with them is they are reasonably comprehensive and well worth having.
    Yes you do need to be somewhat mechanically inclined as in trained to know what the instructions mean. So far, no one has an answer for this.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Yes you do need to be somewhat mechanically inclined as in trained to know what the instructions mean. So far, no one has an answer for this.
    I guess you and I have a different take on instructions. I've found most of them to be sufficiently clear so even when I've never been through the particular process before, I was able to go through it with no problem. I'll admit, they aren't perfect but I don't recall ever having been stumped by any of them. Some of the illustrations could stand to be improved, but all in all I think they're pretty decent. I'm a strong believer that many of us are capable of "figuring things out for ourselves" without having to be taught or trained by someone else.

On the other hand there are folks out there who just don't have the knack for understanding technical issues. Those are the ones who are best served by having a knowledgeable person do the work for them. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It takes all kinds to run the world!

All you need to do is read the many posts through the years here about how "trained" dealer techs have screwed things up to realize that training isn't always the answer. Capability is more important.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flylow View Post
    I purchased a trailer stand yesterday, in preparation for a trip starting tomorrow, but I can find no install information. I have a 2017 Can-Am freedom trailer and before starting the install, I have to remove the existing metal plugs from the mounting holes. I have not found information using the search function here, maybe I didn't use the proper wording. Short of taking it to a trailer shop or my Honda dealer, I'm at a stand still. Anyone out there with experience or ideas please advise.
    If you're talking about the 'placeholders' or 'plugs' that are in the holes already drilled in the drawbar where the stand should mount, IIRC they just prised out with a screwdriver or pick & a wad of cloth to prevent marking the drawbar paint... But it has been a while, maybe I just punched them in?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks one and all for your thoughts, suggestions and comments. Sorry for the delay in responding, we just returned from our trip. When I first opened the box I found only the warning sheet, no instructions. After looking at the parts and photos of trailer accessories I was ready to install. The plugs are flush against the draw bar and I will remove paint if drive something between plug and bar. I did call my dealer and wound up talking to the technician. He said that they have never installed on before and didn't know how to remove them. He did give me the web address for BRP install instructions and a phone number for BRP customer service. Customer Service was a Joke. The lady had a hard time finding the instructions and finally told me to go to YouTube for videos of installs and if that didn't work I should then call my local Can-Am dealer. I do have the instructions and am attaching steps 1 and 2. Will try to attach pictures.

P1070084.JPGP1070088.JPG
    Last edited by Flylow; 09-24-2023 at 01:30 PM.