Spyder Garage

Default Need advice on Changing Rear Tire on a 2021 Sea to Sky...

I am new to this forum, have owned my Spyder since it came out new, and I am tired of paying $600 to change the tire at a Can-Am dealership. I ran into a situation - when I went to change it myself, there was no cotter pin in the axle and the rear axle was not torqued. I am looking for someone to balance my wheel because the dealer won't balance it if I don't purchase the tire from them. They only offer the Kenda which only lasts about 6000 miles. Are the axles still supposed to be torqued to 160 ft. lbs? And why is there not a hole through both sides of the axle so that a cotter pin can be installed?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2023 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Kudos to you for taking off the rear wheel & .... the good news is IF you are using an Auto tire for the Spyder (and I highly recommend you do so) .... the REAR wheel/tire doesn't need balancing. I & Peter Aawen are the forum's tire experts, and we don't think it's necessary. .... However, there a few tire sealants that also balance & help prevent flat tires. I haven't found a Tire repair place that was unable to mount a tire, either on the front or rear wheels. The fronts can be SPIN balanced the rears usually can't, but that's OK..... 160 lbs. of torque sounds about right, but someone else will verify ..... Find some other forum members that live near you and ask them who they use for tire mounting. I have been using and recommending AUTO tires for over a decade. I have found most of the Auto tires that others are now using. Like the General Altimax RT 45 & Riken Raptor (for the rear) and the Vredestein Quatrac for both front and rear. Just ask questions and we will respond .... good luck ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2023 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

my dealer only charged me $108 to change the rear tire. I carried the tire ($97 from tire rack) in and they did all the labor.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I found an independent custom bike shop to break and balance my rear tire. Most bike shops have the gear to do the work, if you're taking the tire off yourself, they will do the job for you. Just take it to a shop that isn't CanAm.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Ditto what Mikey said above.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

I bought my last full set of tires at Walmart. They mounted and balanced the fronts but stated they were unable to balance the rear. I was planning on using Ride-on sealer/balancer anyway so did that and everything is silky smooth.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

My local automotive tire shop does the installation without any problems or excessive questions. I just remove the drive splines and rubber buffers and take them the rim only.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

$600 for a dealer to change a tire? Sounds to me like they are pricing it at a place where most people will try to find another tire changing place. Seems to be a common thing with BRP "dealers" these days.

I have usually run into $300 for a rear tire...which I also think is way too high. Spyder repairs were never cheap to start with though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-21-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    my dealer only charged me $108 to change the rear tire. I carried the tire ($97 from tire rack) in and they did all the labor.
    Was this with the tire on the bike?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

There is a fair amount of time and energy required to remove and replace the rear tire. This is were a good amount of expense comes in. If you can do this portion yourself, it should save you quite a bit of money.

It is a rare shop that can dynamically balance the rear wheel on a Spyder. That being said, it usually isn't necessary with a good car tire. 3 oz of balance beads or Ride-On will take care of this if you find it needed. It's much easier to install the balance beads at mounting than after, if you decide to go that way.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I bought my own tire to my dealer to change and he only charged me $110.00 Find another dealer.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.