Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Question - what's the vibration

Ok guys since I’m new to Spyder I’m allowing my self 5 rookie questions.
    I bought a 2019 Spyder about two weeks ago and it’s been a pleasure to ride, I’ve ridden BMWs for 38 years and the Spyder was a natural transition to three wheels.
    We rode a little over 1k this past weekend and I kept noticing a vibration as we pulled small hills, it was not noticeable on the flat roads or at high speeds actually it was sort of a grinding vibration.
    I would appreciate any information that you care to share.
    I would add that we have a 2014 Spyder also and I’ve never noticed any vibration in it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2023 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly Ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Best guess - harmonic vibration from the belt. Belt tension might be wrong. Your 2014 belt tension may be correct. Others on here can give you tips on checking the tension with a Kricket with the rear wheel on the ground and off the ground, and the adjustment procedure. My understanding is that it is not hard, just time consuming as the adjustments have to be made in small increments so as to keep the rear wheel aligned. I do know that the real axle nuts have to be loosened, adjustment made, nuts tightened, ride, repeat. Just my 2 cents worth.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Or you could install a vibration damper ("belt tensioner") if the cycle doesn't already have one.
    Last edited by chipveres; 09-18-2023 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I agree with the others. Most likely belt vibration. Different speeds and torque pressure can produce varying occurrence and severity. If it is minor, I would not worry about it. Vibration dampeners can present issues of their own. If you get one. Make sure it is high quality. That little wheel can spin at 30k rpm or even higher. You don't want that coming apart.

The vibration may be annoying, but it will not hurt anything.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I was guessing that it might have something to do with the belt.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kensouthdakota View Post
    Thanks guys, I was guessing that it might have something to do with the belt.
    If that Spyder has ONLY been serviced at a Dealer ..... then they may have adjusted the belt tension to BRP specs ...... which many, many folks here think is too high .... I set my 14 RT at 160 lbs. wheels on-the-ground using the KrirKit gauge .... I have no vibes ( which a common cure ) .... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

that would be my guess , because first ever problem with my Spyder was the Drive Belt , I bought a Krikit Guage from BajaRon , and adjusted on it for 4 or 5 times , finally found the spot for me..... 150 lbs. . . not sure if thats good for anyone else , just raise it a little... and check it , if still there go down some and check it . , just what I did and it fixed my problem. good luck
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

If you dont have one you may wish to pick up a Krikit. Measures that belt tension.

KRIKIT 20220610_110534.jpg

My belt feels fine but the Tech who did the pulley said it was just a tad low. He did not adjust it.
    He used some electronic gizmo with a digital reading.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    If you dont have one you may wish to pick up a Krikit. Measures that belt tension.

KRIKIT 20220610_110534.jpg

My belt feels fine but the Tech who did the pulley said it was just a tad low. He did not adjust it.
    He used some electronic gizmo with a digital reading.
    Those high tech gauges are cool and give a very precise digital readout. Very expensive and usually not very portable. It is amazing that the Krikit II reads within just a few pounds of an electronic, digital gauge. Be careful to get the Krikit II and not the Krikit, which is designed for lighter belts, as it won't read to the weight needed for the Spyder. They look the same but read in different ranges.

Any time I go to an event. Several riders will ask me to check their belt tension. The Krikit II is a great little tool. Easy to use and very accurate if used correctly. To be sure you're doing it right, take 3 readings that all come out the same. Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to get it right the 1st time.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...