Spyder Garage

Default Is this Center Rail safe for Lifting the whole F3?

Hello, using a Harbor Freight lift I can see that there is a Center Rail under the Spyder that is 4 to 5" wide. I want to raise the whole bike up to put blocks under the tires for an oil change. The Service manual shows this is the lower frame. Is it safe to say that any place on the rail is safe to lift? Finding the Center of Gravity, of course. Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

It's always best to give the year and model of Spyder you have. Otherwise, you can easily get information that will not work well with your particular bike.

You can use the center rail to lift. Center of gravity is towards the rear of this lower rail. However, there are things that hang below the rail (depending on model / year). Be very careful what you are lifting on or you can do damage to fragile components.

The Spyder will still be tipsy using an ATV jack (which is what I assume you are asking about).
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-16-2023 at 12:30 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

2015 F3 SE6. Sorry. Me bad figured I posted in F3 shop talk. Thank you BajaRon. https://gyazo.com/fcae9c526e214b900365af3540b021f4 Pic of ATV lift
    Last edited by PappyK; 09-16-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PappyK View Post
    2015 F3 SE6. Sorry. Me bad figured I posted in F3 shop talk. Thank you BajaRon. https://gyazo.com/fcae9c526e214b900365af3540b021f4 Pic of ATV lift
    Actually, my bad. I should have caught that. If it is an SE6, some shift components hang down and will give you grief if you bend the bracket. Which you can do easily. Otherwise, you should be good to go with some care.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you again Sir. I did see some things that hang a bit and will keep eyes open. Not many threads on this to lift whole bike. Only front or back lifting. I do have to address the alinement of drive belt too. So, the threads I saw helped that too. Used to build custom Single overhead cam 750 Honda choppers and maintain my HD's. Getting older now it's getting harder to bend over and lay on ground, so any info helps. It's like learning all over again with the Can-Am. I do need to get your sway bar soon too. Smiles. Thanks again BajaRon. Most helpful.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 03:56 PM. Reason: hole... ;-)

Spyder Garage

For the sway bar, I lifted with an ATV jack and put blocks under the wheels.
    I did ensure, as Ron has said, to be careful with the placement.
    It took several lifts to get it high enough and lots of blocks 4x4 stacked up.

For comfort, I put some carpet down on the concrete floor that I have glued some carpet underlay to.
    I roll it up and store it when not in use.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 03:58 PM. Reason: i's ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Easy to lift with a scissor jack. Just lay a couple pieces of 2x4 on the flat surface of the scissor jack to keep it from contacting the linkages hanging below the frame.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

If your careful you can use a floor jack on that frame rail and lift the bike to the sky, I have several times, but you have to get the jack head right in the right spot. Your jack should work well, maybe come in from the right side away from that shifting linkage!! go slow and be careful.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For a safe stable oil change, I recommend backing your Spyder's front wheels up a pair of car ramps https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-...set-63956.html leaving the rear wheel on the ground. Then let the Spyder sit overnight so all the oil returns to the crankcase. Being a dry sump engine this takes a bit of time. Be careful with engine and transmission drain bolts -- search is your friend. Whose oil change kit did you buy?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I picked up a set of those Magnetic Sump Plugs to fit the F3 and will swap out the OEM plugs during the next service.
    I do have a set of ramps and will try that method. Last time I did it on the ground. Got it done but there wasn't much room.

And an edit...

I also have a bit of timber the same length as the center rail. When I lift it that sits between the quad lift and the rail. Sits ok but can be a bit wobbly when doing stuff so I place blocks under the wheels.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 09-17-2023 at 12:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hello Bert. I bought Lamonsters Kit. And thank you for your information on ramps. I have some I made for a 5th wheel camper I had. Might just use them. 2/10`s like a ramp.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your Tips and tricks. Like good advice and helpful information.