Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT 998 Water Pump Gear install - How is it driven?

I am reassembling my motor and the water pump gear and intermediate gear don't seem to be driven by the balance shaft that the driven gear is on. can't figure out how it works. As far as the schematics go it appears I am assembling them correct. the weird part is that the water pump gear has a key way, but the gear slides down past the key on the shaft. And the gear aligns perfectly with the intermediate gear. I'll post some pics for reference. Both gears are in mesh with each other and spin together while the shaft is stationary. Maybe when the next gear, washer , and nut are torqued they figure that's enough to drive the water pump? No key needed for that?
    Please let me know if anyone knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tarzan; 09-15-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    2012 Spyder RTS
    Arizona

Spyder Garage

Here's a short clip of it if that is allowed. Never mind. It wont load
    2012 Spyder RTS
    Arizona

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    I am reassembling my motor and the water pump gear and intermediate gear don't seem to be driven by the balance shaft that the driven gear is on. can't figure out how it works. As far as the schematics go it appears I am assembling them correct. the weird part is that the water pump gear has a key way, but the gear slides down past the key on the shaft. And the gear aligns perfectly with the intermediate gear. I'll post some pics for reference. Both gears are in mesh with each other and spin together while the shaft is stationary. Maybe when the next gear, washer , and nut are torqued they figure that's enough to drive the water pump? No key needed for that?
    Please let me know if anyone knows.
    Something is clearly wrong in the second photo. The black gear is down below the key that is supposed to catch it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 04:56 PM. Reason: ket ... ;-)
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

It can’t be up higher. It needs to mesh as it does with the intermediate gear. Then there is a keyed gear that goes on top of it that meshes with the crank gear
    2012 Spyder RTS
    Arizona

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    It can’t be up higher. It needs to mesh as it does with the intermediate gear. Then there is a keyed gear that goes on top of it that meshes with the crank gear
    Is there any chance that keyed gear on top has a protrusion that makes the lower gear turn with it too??

Just Guessin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

No. A washer goes on top of that gear, then the other gear is above it
    2012 Spyder RTS
    Arizona