Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear ended on the way to OC bike fest

Well I was on my way to the OC Bike Fest yesterday. Came to a stop at a light and the car behind me didn't. Last thing I remember is feeling a lunge after stopping, then coming to standing up next to the spyder in the middle of the intersection with a bunch of people around me.

I didn't have much of a chance to look over at the bike before I had a paramedic snapping a collar on me and getting me over to the ambulance, All I could see was that it looks like my rear tire acted like an airbag and took the brunt of it, didn't have enough time to check to see if my rear shock or frame was bent. The state trooper that brought the report to me in the ER said all he could see was that the back tire was gone but not too much else. I will get a better look and take pictures when I go back up there today to bring the tow slip to the company that towed it so it can be released to the insurance company.

Someone there said I went up in the air and landed on my back and my head. Luckily I was wearing all of my gear and from the looks of the gear, my back hit the ground then my head. I am glad I spent the extra money on the CE level 2 spine pad for my eclipse 2 mesh jacket. There is some bruising around where the pad dug in at but nothing broken and the back of my helmet is scarred up from the asphalt.

Spent the afternoon in the ER getting a cat scan because I am sore all over my head, neck and abdomen. The nurse and doctor said they wish that all of the younger folks that they see would have worn the same protection I was as they were in much worse condition coming in there. I'll post up some pics after I get back from Delaware today. Totally sucks as I was almost at my lunch stop at Bennet's Pier before heading down the coastal highway to OC so it's going to be a long drive in Cafe Silverado to get back up there and get the tow slip taken care of.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 09-15-2023 at 05:32 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That totally sucks. Good the intersection was empty. Hoping the car driver has sufficient appropriate insurance.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear, glad you’re able to tell. Prayers hope nothing permanent & all works out

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

That’s terrible clover. I know when I hit my deer you gave all kinds of support and advice on the rebuild with positive feedback that it would look as new when completed. I hope you feel better and glad you had the protection on. I know you got hit and in multiple ways, car, objects etc but glad you’re pretty much OK. I hate to say it but even though its a single wheel in the back and 2 upfront front, you would have been hurt much worse on a 2 wheeler. I can not say enough about the safety of these machines over having your leg down and holding a 1000 lbs bike up and getting hit from behind. That would have been tragic! Machine can be rebuilt or insurance will replace but can’t replace a life or head! Get well my friend!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Glad your able to talk about it. Scary stuff. Get well soon.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had my guardian bell on and it saved me but I think this bike is cursed.

I had the reframe done after getting run off the road by a cage 3 months after I bought it and wore a bruise from my neck to my thigh for almost 8 months from getting slammed into a curb at about 30 mph when I was launched over the right side of the handlebars.

Hit the Buck 6 months ago and rebuilt the front left fender section myself and now this.

I am afraid of taking my wife back out on it. I will still ride but I will not put her safety at risk as a rider. And she is telling me now no long trips just to stick to the mountain roads around here. I am not in agreement with that but that is left to be worked out after I get the crawler back on the road. If it gets back on the road. The adjuster I talked to on the Phone from my insurance company is already talking about totalling it with out even seeing it yet. I am contacting the insurance of the owner of the other car but it is state farm and the driver does not have the same address as the owner.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Clover, I understand your feeling right now about questioning riding and types of rides and even your wife as a copilot! I was a snowcross racer for many years. I never once, in those years, got into any major wrecks. Yes smashed sleds and thrown off but nothing traumatic. I was also a mountain rider and did some pretty dumb things going up and down area the human body can’t even navigate and again went pretty much unscaved. One year I was simply riding trails casually and got totally T boned. On a sled that is really bad. It was not my fault at all. The guy was not paying attention. I had all my protective gear and it definitely saved me. I questioned riding but continued because my kids loved it. The following season my son was literally ran off the trail by a guy coming down the trail on the wrong side. Again not my fault at all. I zigged by son was forced to zag. It didn’t end very well for his sled or the guy but again luckily my son was OK, mainly because of his tek vest and gear. It took us 2-3 years to get back into riding the trails and still today around every curve I assume there will be a sled coming at me. It’s a feeling that will stick with you forever, but if you truly love it, the itch will come back and bite or nibble and you just start over. You will start very tentatively and increase your trust again. It takes time, so don’t rush it! Rushing in will cause more problems. Fighting it will cause more problems and anxiety. I have seen it many times in racing. Your brain will tell you when its ready and time to make the moves. Don’t try to convince the brain only short trips, only one style of riding or location. Anything can happen at any location. It can happen simply backing out of the garage in your driveway.

My quote “Give it time, You’ll be fine! Jump on the horse to fast and you’ll instantly see the past! If its meant to be, no matter what you’ll be happy!” Thats a racers moto some follow and others don’t. I did on the sleds but yes bad luck does play with your head. Give it time!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, sorry to hear that. Those rear end collisions are something that we can do nothing about and very little to prepare for. But glad to see that you are here to tell the story. Heal up quickly and reevaluate things to see if this is for you. I am in the process of deciding if 2 wheels is for me. Took a ride to church about 10 days ago and had 5 very close calls that were not my fault. Really got me to thinking.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK! Bike can be replaced. Several years ago I lost a good friend when he was rear ended so I know from experience it could have been a lot worse. Good luck with your dealings with the insurance company.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.... Glad you arn't to banged up .....sending my ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Happy to hear you came thru with minimum damage to yourself! Bikes can be repaired a lot easier than the riders.
    Wearing All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT) has saved my body a few times with only a couple bruises. Never understood those that choose to ride 'naked'. Your experience shows you can't control what others do.
    Hope you're feeling better soon!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK and wore your gear! Bike can be replaced.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Glad you're going to be OK. Getting hit is no joke, even if it's a minor one, which yours was not. Heal fully and ryde again.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thank the Lord for your gear!!! Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and prayers going out for you!
    2023 F3-T , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Glad you are here to tell us about it. But the bike? Wow! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    I had my guardian bell on and it saved me but I think this bike is cursed.

I had the reframe done after getting run off the road by a cage 3 months after I bought it and wore a bruise from my neck to my thigh for almost 8 months from getting slammed into a curb at about 30 mph when I was launched over the right side of the handlebars.

Hit the Buck 6 months ago and rebuilt the front left fender section myself and now this.

I am afraid of taking my wife back out on it. I will still ride but I will not put her safety at risk as a rider. And she is telling me now no long trips just to stick to the mountain roads around here. I am not in agreement with that but that is left to be worked out after I get the crawler back on the road. If it gets back on the road. The adjuster I talked to on the Phone from my insurance company is already talking about totalling it with out even seeing it yet. I am contacting the insurance of the owner of the other car but it is state farm and the driver does not have the same address as the owner.
    First of all, glad to hear you are able to tell us all about the accident. The gear was a great help in keeping you alive. Decisions about what to do in the future are something that the two of you will have to decide. We will keep you in our thoughts and that you will heal quickly and make the right decisions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are ok, as the others have said bikes can be replaced you can not, praying for a speedy recovery.
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Well I was on my way to the OC Bike Fest yesterday. Came to a stop at a light and the car behind me didn't. Last thing I remember is feeling a lunge after stopping, then coming to standing up next to the spyder in the middle of the intersection with a bunch of people around me.

I didn't have much of a chance to look over at the bike before I had a paramedic snapping a collar on me and getting me over to the ambulance, All I could see was that it looks like my rear tire acted like an airbag and took the brunt of it, didn't have enough time to check to see if my rear shock or frame was bent. The state trooper that brought the report to me in the ER said all he could see was that the back tire was gone but not too much else. I will get a better look and take pictures when I go back up there today to bring the tow slip to the company that towed it so it can be released to the insurance company.

Someone there said I went up in the air and landed on my back and my head. Luckily I was wearing all of my gear and from the looks of the gear, my back hit the ground then my head. I am glad I spent the extra money on the CE level 2 spine pad for my eclipse 2 mesh jacket. There is some bruising around where the pad dug in at but nothing broken and the back of my helmet is scarred up from the asphalt.

Spent the afternoon in the ER getting a cat scan because I am sore all over my head, neck and abdomen. The nurse and doctor said they wish that all of the younger folks that they see would have worn the same protection I was as they were in much worse condition coming in there. I'll post up some pics after I get back from Delaware today. Totally sucks as I was almost at my lunch stop at Bennet's Pier before heading down the coastal highway to OC so it's going to be a long drive in Cafe Silverado to get back up there and get the tow slip taken care of.
    That really stinks, glad to hear you are okay. I was there in OC at bikefest looking for any Sypders in the lot, virtually none. Where did this happen at if I may ask? I am heading back to PA. tonight. The main strip last night was like a scene from mad max with all the bikes zipping around.
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

I don’t know your situation if your brake lights flash when you press on the brake and it may not have prevented the accident anyway. But I have a brake light flasher on my taillights and also a Brake Free light on the back of my helmet that flashes when I slow down or press on the brake. I highly recommend it and one of our sponsors sells it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Glad your able to tell us about it. Do what the doctors say so you heal up.... sending prayers for you and your wife
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Sucky deal!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Glad you are still here to write about it. Trike can be replaced, you can't.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Upmost important you are OK to be able to write about the accident. You have had a tough go on all 3 incidents. That would be me too saying,,,I'm still going to ride

Hope doctor doesn't find anything more of health problems so you don't have any setbacks
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mishap, but thanking God it wasn't any worse than it was. I was in OC and Salisbury yesterday, and remembered that you had mentioned you were headed there. I don't know where this happened, but if there is anything you need that I could help with on this end, don't hesitate to reach out. Sending prayers for complete healing.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]