Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Adding Ride On to your tires - Good, Bad, Opinions?

So what is the general consensus for adding Ride On to your Spyder tires? Would it be worthwhile, or a waste of money. How about potential tire damage?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

use it in all our bikes

Spyder Garage

Not a fan of putting goo in my tires. IF I was to use dynamic balancers, I would use ceramic beads or the Centrics(sp?) rings.

Ideally, use weights and dynamic or static balancing.

If getting a flat tire is a concern, carry a plug kit and 12v air compressor.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 09-14-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tire guys don't seem to like it.

Spyder Garage

I like Ride-On. I know people say that tire people don't like it. But I don't know why. It doesn't affect anything during a change. Doesn't get on the tire tools, machine, whatever. It stays put on the tread area.

The only downside is the out of balance you'll experience after leaving your bike sit for 2 weeks or more. That lasts (in diminishing degrees) for about 5 miles, depending on temperature.

I recommend using the Car Tire version. Ride-On used to recommend this for the Spyder for good reason. We are running car tires. However, for some reason Ride-On now recommends the Motorcycle Version for the Spyder. This makes no sense to me. The motorcycle version is more geared towards fast puncture seal and less towards balance. The car version goes the opposite direction. Which is appropriate for our application. And the car version is less expensive.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-14-2023 at 11:21 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I like using Ride On. I have used it for the last 12 years and I have not had to balance my wheels. When I had my Yamaha Raider, I replaced 3 sets of tires and add Ride On and never had to balance the wheels. I recently replaced my rear tire on my Spyder and since I did not have a way to balance the wheel, I added 3 bottles of Ride On in the rear tire. Then you ride the bike for about 5 miles so that solution spreads in the tire. I did balance the front tires as I have the equipment at my shop.

Spyder Garage

I really like Ride On. It works wonders.

Spyder Garage

I use balance beads for balancing - and carry a plug kit/compressor. I do use "FlatOut" on my PEV stuff though.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I used Ride-On in my Gold Wing trike tires. Really did like it.
    First time I drove it after putting the Ride-On in the tires it scared the be-jabbers out of me - tires jostling like I had 3 flats.. but after a couple of miles it smoothed out and was an excellent ride. I knew to watch for that thereafter and just relax until the fluid was redistributed in the tire.
    I could ride down the road without holding onto the handlebars until an anomoly in the road would make the trike deviate from straight on. It gave me the confidence to continue to ride, mostly alone, out in the middle of no-where, at least not fearing a flat... well... at least not a flat from a puncture in the center of the tire. The website tells you if its a sidewall puncture the product will not help.
    Per the website I put the motorcycle version in the trike tires (which are auto tires) because they said the motorcycle version will heal the puncture faster than the car product. I called them to verify and discuss that statement and was told they felt it important for an "exposed" rider at speed (not inside a car cage) needed to have that fast delivery of relief as they were inheritantly more vulnerable to danger in the first moments of the episode.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've used it for years in six different bikes.
    It works.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride On worked for me, if nothing else, it can save you if you have a puncture out in the boonies. The old formula was a mess but the new is fine for a tire change.

Spyder Garage

How do you apply or use Ride On? I looked at the website, is it one bottle per tire, how and when do you add it to a tire?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    How do you apply or use Ride On? I looked at the website, is it one bottle per tire, how and when do you add it to a tire?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    You remove the valve stem and put it in with the tube that Ride-On supplies. Pretty easy to do.

Spyder Garage

You might want to read the installation instructions I found on their website...
    https://images.ride-on.eu/en_US/inst...structions.pdf
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I installed Ride-On motorcycle flavour yesterday in my RTL and went for a short ride today. Using their online calculator, I used 12oz in front and 16oz in the rear. I thought there may be some wobbling until it was spread around the inside of the tires but in the short ride I was able to get in, none at all. Tomorrow I'll be able to give it a good test.

YMMV

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Just thinking out loud. Have had 20 bikes, ridden all over on all kinds of road surfaces, in all kinds of weather conditions and not once had a unbalanced wheel/tire from factory or when new tires put on as well as had a flat. Carry compressor and plug kit for peace of mind.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    Just thinking out loud. Have had 20 bikes, ridden all over on all kinds of road surfaces, in all kinds of weather conditions and not once had a unbalanced wheel/tire from factory or when new tires put on as well as had a flat. Carry compressor and plug kit for peace of mind.
    But none of them were Kendas, were they?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    Were they running car tires as the Spyder does?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I like Ride-On. I know people say that tire people don't like it. But I don't know why. It doesn't affect anything during a change. Doesn't get on the tire tools, machine, whatever. It stays put on the tread area.

The only downside is the out of balance you'll experience after leaving your bike sit for 2 weeks or more. That lasts (in diminishing degrees) for about 5 miles, depending on temperature.

I recommend using the Car Tire version. Ride-On used to recommend this for the Spyder for good reason. We are running car tires. However, for some reason Ride-On now recommends the Motorcycle Version for the Spyder. This makes no sense to me. The motorcycle version is more geared towards fast puncture seal and less towards balance. The car version goes the opposite direction. Which is appropriate for our application. And the car version is less expensive.
    I concur...
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    You might want to read the installation instructions I found on their website...
    https://images.ride-on.eu/en_US/inst...structions.pdf
    Thanks for the LINK ..... however I haven't used it yet ..... How do you know how many oz. you have put in the tire...??? ...Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry but I don't really remember... whatever they recommended for the size tires I had on the Gold Wing trike. I know I had a BT46 on for a front tire but honestly don't remember what car tires were on the rear... that was in 2017 and I have since sold the trike and bought the Spyder. There was a chart or reference on the Ride-On website as to how much was needed for whichever size tire.
    I ordered it but my neighbor actually squeezed the stuff into the tires as it did take some muscle to get the tubes squeezed out well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do recall it was a real tough squeeze back in the day on my GW, hopefully they have improved that. I used a clamp arrangement to get it out. When I run out of Kenda's, I'm getting some Ride-On.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I’ve been riding M/C since I was 16 and I’m 80 now. During that time, I’ve never had a wheel balance problem, and only once have I actually suffered rolling flat tire. Also during that time I have never, ever put any kind of goop into my tires and I don’t intend to start now. Also in that same time period, I’ve had numerous flat tires on my cars, but again have never put any goop into them. jmho

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

26 states on original tires with two spyders- no issues

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't really remember... whatever they recommended for the size tires I had on the Gold Wing trike. I know I had a BT46 on for a front tire but honestly don't remember what car tires were on the rear... that was in 2017 and I have since sold the trike and bought the Spyder. There was a chart or reference on the Ride-On website as to how much was needed for whichever size tire.
    I ordered it but my neighbor actually squeezed the stuff into the tires as it did take some muscle to get the tubes squeezed out well.
    Pooch if this was an answer to my question??? ..... It didn't .... How does one know HOW MANY OUNCES ARE GOING INTO THE TIRE? ...... Do you put the Ride-on into a measuring cup and then use a funnel to get it through the valve stem??? .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2023 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)