Spyder Garage

Default 2022 RT with Limp Mode & VSS faults - any ideas?

I have a new 2022 RT Limited. I have gotten both the Limp Mode warning and VSS Fault twice. Fault codes and descriptions I have found from an internet search are:

C006C Faulty Stability System Stability, System harness is open or shorted, Stability System circuit poor electrical connection
    U0126 Comm Lost with Steering Angle Sensor
    C0051 Steering wheel position sensor failure caused by defective steering angle sensor (SAS), or wrong sensor mounting, or Steering angle sensor is not yet initialized /calibrated, or loose magnet on DPS output shaft.
    P0552 Power Steering Pressure Sensor Low (electrical) - I take this to mean it is open or shorted.

They all cleared immediately once I shut down and restarted. The dealer worked on this problem two weeks ago. His solution was a new battery, my 3rd in less than 1500 miles.
    Hi hoe, hi hoe, its back to the dealer we go.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I took the bike in for round two of working on the recurring VSS Fault. It was a beautiful morning to ride, cool with a rising mist, light traffic, and few deer. I was detoured by the police who had closed down a large area looking for an escaped convict.

On the way in, the power assist on the steering cut out twice for a short period without a fault being displayed. A bit later the "Limp Home Mode" dialog message popped up followed by the VSS Fault message. Since I was closer to the dealer than I was to home, I elected to ride to the shop. I did not stop to clear the faults. I rerouted my trip to take slower roads to get to the dealer. Once I got to the shop, they took the bike in, without turning it off, and hooked up their computer. They did diagnostic work and test rides. They reset and recalibrated the steering sensors and checked cabling connections. We discussed the type of roads I ride, they were thinking I was abusing it. After two to three hours, they came back saying they needed to keep it overnight.

VSS Faults being worked on: C006C, U0126, C0051, P0552.

Total miles for the day, approximately 275.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 09-16-2023 at 05:46 PM. Reason: steerig; accerories; + .... ;-)
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

Yesterday I rode to my dealer to exchanged the loaner bike for my RTL.

I delivered bike to the dealer with the VSS Fault(s) active: C006C, U0126, C0051, P0552. They reset steering angle sensor, lateral offset sensor, and the long offset sensor. The dealer took it for multiple test rides, none longer than 10 miles. The paper work is unclear but they may have replaced the battery again. That would be the 4th new battery since I bought the bike as new old stock in July 2023 with 1 mile on the odometer. We have now over 1700 miles on the bike.

I rode the bike home on the same backroads that produced the faults originally. No new errors or faults on the way home. Time and miles will be the proof.

Total miles for the day, approximately 340.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 09-16-2023 at 06:14 PM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

4 batteries in 1700 mi. and it's a 2022 RTL ....... IMHO your dealer *ucks ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    4 batteries in 1700 mi. and it's a 2022 RTL ....... IMHO your dealer *ucks ..... good luck .... Mike
    Quite likely... Or it could be that they haven't yet twigged that Yuasa Batteries aren't all anything like the same 'good' batteries that they used to be!!

It seems that Yuasa have outsourced some of their battery manufacture, and a lot of the Spyder/Ryker sized AGM batteries that are hitting the streets these days with the Yuasa brand name on them belong in the same trash bin as pretty much all the early Kenda tires and some of their more recent tires too! Apparently, most of the Yuasa AGM batteries that fit our Spyders/Rykers are now coming out of the 'cheap' & 'for the suckers' end of a poorly quality controlled factory in a part of the world that shall remain nameless but that isn't & hasn't ever been associated with producing too much in the way of good quality products for the Western World!!

Going by my experience with them of late, many of the Spyder/Ryker spec Yuasa batteries I've seen that've been produced since about 2018 have been 'less than ideal' in their charge holding capabilities, and just about ALL Spyders/Rykers &/or bikes with similar sized/capacity Yuasa AGM batteries that have a 2020 or newer battery fitted are likely to have early & significant power/battery problems - "How old is your battery?" is rapidly becoming the very first thing I ask people with Spyders/Rykers exhibiting pretty much ANY problem that could be by any stretch of the imagination attributed to a dud battery.... And you'd be astounded at how many times it's a relatively NEW Yuasa battery that's proven to be a dud Yuasa Battery!! They might work OK for a while, but few last much longer than about a year at best, even if it was charged properly before installation and then used/maintained well!

Sad, I know - the Yuasa batteries in our Spyders used to be the most reliable & capable batteries we could get.... But not any longer! I dunno if BRP specc'ed something that wasn't as long lasting &/or reliable as they used to be (prior to about 2018) or if there's been some manufacturing component supply or quality issue impacting their quality control, but if you want a new battery that is likely to work capably &/or reliably and last as long as your pre-2018 Yuasa did, you will probably need to look elsewhere!!

They just ain't what they used to be; and we're seeing more and more 2018 & up Spyders & Rykers with dodgy power issues &/or needing regular replacements of their failed 'OEM spec' Yuasa Batteries much sooner than you'd ever expect, even if said battery does come from someone who's not BRP!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2023 at 10:54 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

As the thoughts of battery replacement slowly creep into my head:

What brand and/or type of battery would you suggest???

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I contacted the dealer for clarification and they did not replace the battery last visit so I'm back to only 3 batteries since July 2023. The confusion was the new assistant service manager reused a copy of the previous service report to save time entering data. She did a poor job of it. In the work done description she left in some of the work done during the previous visit. Since the bike's last service the bike has been running like a champ. No riding this weekend, Tropical Storm Ophelia is visiting the area and it is going to be very wet. Hoping to go out on Monday for romp in the country side.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 09-23-2023 at 04:13 AM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking batteries are getting an unjustified bad reputation.
    None of the problems I had were battery related.

Suspension Fault - air vent valve and air compressor not working. The fix was to adjust ride height settings and calibrate sensors for one and two riders.
    Brake Failure Fault - erroneous nusiance message. The fix was documented in BRP Service Bulletin 2020-6 (sensor adjustment).
    VSS Fault - 4 fault codes outlined above. The fix was to adjust and calibrate multiple sensors.

When I have talked to the service guys the first thing they say is replacing the battery cures all. None of the faults above were low voltage related. In fact I now think the 3rd battery they supplied was totally unnecesssary and possibly the 2nd as well. I feel in my case changing out the battery didn't cure a single thing. Butt since all it cost me was time and the problems appear to be solved I can live with it.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 09-23-2023 at 05:09 AM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

If I were your service guys, I would invest in a good load tester to get rid of some of the guess work! The big thing on your case was your set up, and you're not the only one on here that has complained about that. I would think that one of the last manufacturing steps would be, putting the bike on the computer and make sure it's ready to pop out the door. Inspector 12 was on break when yours was boxed up!!! Glad to hear you're on the road and happy!
    2012 RTL , Pearl