Spyder Garage

Exclamation What's needed to fix Turn Signal Hyper Flash because of trailer?

I keep on getting the hyper flash of my turn signals on my 2016 RTL. I have used the Lamonster Garage reset technique and it will work. But as soon as I shut it off and restart it and rid the bike the hyper flash keeps coming back. Yes, I have a trailer connection and I know that this is what causes the hyper flash. Anyone else experience this and what is needed to fix this?
    I know there is a resistor fix for this. What is it and how is it done? T.I.A.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-10-2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TLI

What trailer adapter did you use to connect to the Spyder wiring?

How many positions (pins) is your trailer hitch connection?

Does the hyperflash occur with the trailer disconnected from the Spyder?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    TLI

What trailer adapter did you use to connect to the Spyder wiring?

How many positions (pins) is your trailer hitch connection?

Does the hyperflash occur with the trailer disconnected from the Spyder?
    I used the plug and play wiring harness from Can Am Spyder Accessories. There are four pins. When I plug the leader into the plug on the bike with no trailer the hyper flash continues. Unplug the leader from the bike no hyper flash.

I installed a 4 pin round female receptacle in the bottom of the left saddlebag as shown in "It's Yours, Own It". From there I created a short jumper or leader wire to attach to the hitch with tie's when needed for the trailer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-10-2023 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand this "When I plug the leader into the plug on the bike with no trailer the hyper flash continues. Unplug the leader from the bike no hyper flash." I'm not familiar with the term leader.

Repeating my questions:

What manufacturer and model/part number trailer adapter did you use to connect to the Spyder wiring?

Does the hyperflash occur with the trailer disconnected from the Spyder -- Yes or No?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do what Bert said or ........ many folks here have spent 100's and more dollars in added lighting so they will be seen ..... Hyper-flash is very noticeable and you have it for FREE .... good luck ....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay I found your trailer adapter. It's a nicely done integration of the Hopkins Electronic Tailight Convertor with the Spyder wiring harness.

When you called CanAm Spyder Accessories, what did they suggest as the cause of the problem?

In the meantime, remove RFB Trailer Module Fuse F4 (10amp). Then connect your trailer to the Spyder. Try testing all lights: taillight, brake light, left turn, right turn. If ANY of those lights work, the problem is in the CASA Spyder-side wiring or the Hopkins converter.

Here's why: to avoid introducing a current load or a short circuit into the Spyder circuits, a "Trailer Module" is used to provide isolation between the Spyder circuits and the trailer circuits. The trailer circuits are not powered by the Spyder taillight, brake light, left turn or right turn Spyder circuits. Instead those circuits are used as very low current signals to the Trailer Module (Hopkins ETC) which then supplies the much higher currents to the trailer circuits and their lights. The power for those much higher currents comes via RFB F4 and nowhere else.

If those trailer lights work with F4 removed that means the isolation is faulty, your Spyder is seeing the trailer light currents and is responding accordingly.

Best wishes when you talk to CASA.