Spyder Garage

Default New 2020 RT Limited Owner - Some Newby Shop Questions

Hey all, just traded my '14 Harley Tri Glide for a 2020 RT Limited. WOW my research was right... this thing is GREAT!

Anyway, to my questions. This is based on what appears to be a well-kept Spyder with about 4900 miles on it.

1. They couldn't verify (dealer I bought it from) that the 3,000 mile service had been done by the prior owner. So I am going to have my local dealer do it to make sure. Anything in particular I should have them look for or I should be aware of to check?

2. Looks like the seat and rear trunk shocks are bad - they don't hold the seat up nor the trunk lid. I am going to have them replaced during the 3,000 mile service. Should I assume the replacements they use will be sufficient?

3. The mirrors really move a lot - anything I can do so they don't jiggle in the wind? Would the LaMonster magnetic kit help at all? Seems like it's just the mirrors - not the whole housing.

4. There are times when the bike doesn't want to shift into First when first starting out. All other shifting is fine including Reverse. When I first start it sometimes it just won't go into First until I go into Reverse and even move a bit, then shift into First. Is this normal? Seems like I've read about this. One thing I have noticed in testing today during a ride with the wife - Every time I purposely engage the Parking Brake and shift into Neutral before turning off the bike, when I turn it on and go, I have been able to shift into First every time right away. Not sure why that matters, since I think it shifts the bike into Neutral automatically on Start-up, doesn't it? Any advice on this situation?

5. Any good videos on how to get all the plastic off so I can see where everything is and do some of the work myself?

Loving it. Gotta get used to the noises it makes, like being able to hear the wind noise and the tires on the road that I didn't hear on the Harley Tri Glide. I think I'm really going to love this bike, once I get used to it and get these minor issues resolved.

Thanks all for your feedback.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2023 at 08:41 PM. Reason: goint... ; Caps; + ;-)
    2020 RT , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kdog View Post

3. The mirrors really move a lot - anything I can do so they don't jiggle in the wind? Would the LaMonster magnetic kit help at all? Seems like it's just the mirrors - not the whole housing. Lamonster's kit fixed mine and they're easy to install. I did add a piece of string to each cover, attached to the mirror housing just in case the lids fell off.

4. There are times when the bike doesn't want to shift into First when first starting out. All other shifting is fine including Reverse. When I first start it sometimes it just won't go into First until I go into Reverse and even move a bit, then shift into First. Is this normal? Seems like I've read about this. One thing I have noticed in testing today during a ride with the wife - Every time I purposely engage the Parking Brake and shift into Neutral before turning off the bike, when I turn it on and go, I have been able to shift into First every time right away. Not sure why that matters, since I think it shifts the bike into Neutral automatically on Start-up, doesn't it? Any advice on this situation? I have a 2020 RT as well and every time I get off the trike I put it into N and then push on the Parking Brake. Never had it NOT go into 1st gear from startup, and I can crank it without having my foot on the Brake. I expect you're gonna get a lot of feedback.

5. Any good videos on how to get all the plastic off so I can see where everything is and do some of the work myself? Lamonster has a video on removing Tupperware.

Loving it. Gotta get used to the noises it makes, like being able to hear the wind noise and the tires on the road that I didn't hear on the Harley Tri Glide. I think I'm really going to love this bike, once I get used to it and get these minor issues resolved. I hope you love your ride and quickly relax your grip...it helps.

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2023 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

If you have a rack or something on the rear trunk lid. Or plan to. Don't waste your money on another BRP shock. Get a good aftermarket shock for both. In my opinion, I'd do that in any case. They are stronger and last longer as well.

Less than 5k on a going on 4 year old bike means it sat quite a bit. Riding it may be the cure for better shifting. If the battery is original. Keep an eye on that.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-09-2023 at 03:18 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hey all, just traded my '14 Harley Tri Glide for a 2020 RT Limited. WOW my research was right... this thing is GREAT!

Anyway, to my questions. This is based on what appears to be a well-kept Spyder with about 4900 miles on it.

1. They couldn't verify (dealer I bought it from) that the 3,000 mile service had been done by the prior owner. So I am going to have my local dealer do it to make sure. Anything in particular I should have them look for or I should be aware of to check?
    If you can, do the service yourself and save some money. BajaRon sells a kit for that.
    2. Looks like the seat and rear trunk shocks are bad - they don't hold the seat up nor the trunk lid. I am going to have them replaced during the 3,000 mile service. Should I assume the replacements they use will be sufficient?
    Do not waste your money on the OEM struts, they will not last. There are a couple of threads on fixing the seat strut, I recommend replacing it with one from McMaster Carr, I have the part number listed in one of the threads. The trunk strut can be ordered from Lamonster for under 40.00 and takes maybe 15 minutes to replace.
    3. The mirrors really move a lot - anything I can do so they don't jiggle in the wind? Would the LaMonster magnetic kit help at all? Seems like it's just the mirrors - not the whole housing.
    The Lamonster kit will fix this. Make sure to get the one for the 2020 and up. It is not magnetic but works great.
    4. There are times when the bike doesn't want to shift into First when first starting out. All other shifting is fine including Reverse. When I first start it sometimes it just won't go into First until I go into Reverse and even move a bit, then shift into First. Is this normal? Seems like I've read about this. One thing I have noticed in testing today during a ride with the wife - Every time I purposely engage the Parking Brake and shift into Neutral before turning off the bike, when I turn it on and go, I have been able to shift into First every time right away. Not sure why that matters since I think it shifts the bike into Neutral automatically on Start-up doesn't it? Any advice on this situation?
    Maybe the fresh oil and just riding the bike will fix this, it's worth a try. I also make sure to NEVER leave mine in gear when shutting it down
    5. Any good videos on how to get all the plastic off so I can see where everything is and do some of the work myself?

Loving it. Gotta get used to the noises it makes, like being able to hear the wind noise and the tires on the road that I didn't hear on the Harley Tri Glide. I think I'm really going to love this bike, once I get used to it and get these minor issues resolved.

Enjoy your new ride!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2023 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & colour... ;-)
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Shifting into first from either reverse or neutral REQUIRES your foot to be on the brake. Hard enough to actuate the brake light switch. It’s a safety interlock. See if that was it. Shifting out of first into neutral or reverse doesn't - for some strange reason. If you haven't found the manual yet, look behind the liner in the front storage compartment. Or, download one here:

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-09-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    Thank you! Hey do you have a link to your service kits that K80Shooter mentions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Enjoy your new ride!
    Thank you much - good info. I need to get past my first time taking off all the panels and then I'm sure it will be fine. Just don't want to break something

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Shifting into first from either reverse or neutral REQUIRES your foot to be on the brake. Hard enough to actuate the brake light switch. It’s a safety interlock. See if that was it. Shifting out of first into neutral or reverse doesn't - for some strange reason. If you haven't found the manual yet, look behind the liner in the front storage compartment. Or, download one here:

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com
    I'll pay attention and make sure I'm doing that - thanks

Spyder Garage

Get the replacement rear trunk lid shock from Lamonsters and here is a link for replacement seat shock. https://www.amazon.com/Replaces-7083...8627471&sr=8-2
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Hi Kdog,
    Hope you are enjoying your new Spyder.
    What part of MO. are you in. I live north of Sikeston.
    I do my own maintenance on my Spyder. Maybe something
    I can help you with. Let me know.
    Artie
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's a tip for a quieter ( less of a clunk ) shifting ..... This works , even with a cold engine ..... start spyder, wait for the Revs to drop to 800 - 900 rpm's ..... shift into first, even if you want to back-up .... then shift into reverse .... this works for me ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you! Hey do you have a link to your service kits that K80Shooter mentions?
    https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5...063672.JPG?c=2

Go to this site's home page and at top right is a link to Lamonster Garage. Click on "mirror lock".
    Happy Trails
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sure agree on the OEM battery on my 20 RTL. Just up and died suddenly with no prior signs of sickness. Luckily, it was in my garage.
    My advice, remove it and take it to auto zone or some such and have them test it under load. It's a free service, and they won't pressure you to buy. Nobody has that replacement, Amazon is your friend.

Spyder Garage

Thank you much - good info. I need to get past my first time taking off all the panels and then I'm sure it will be fine. Just don't want to break something
    Please watch the left plastic panels at the bottom near the floorboard. There is a plastic pin there just itching to break. Also both sides at the extreme front the plastic is pinned to the chassis using a pin with a fake Philips screw in it. It is NOT the same size as all the other pins.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    Hi Kdog,
    Hope you are enjoying your new Spyder.
    What part of MO. are you in. I live north of Sikeston.
    I do my own maintenance on my Spyder. Maybe something
    I can help you with. Let me know.
    Artie
    Hey neighbor! Well...kinda. I'm SE of the Kansas City area

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5...063672.JPG?c=2

Go to this site's home page and at top right is a link to Lamonster Garage. Click on "mirror lock".
    Happy Trails
    Ah, so the magnetic "magic mirrors" at this link below won't work for my 2020 RT Limited... bummer.
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/magi...-rt-lamonster/

Spyder Garage

Kroger
    Here’s the link to LaMonster for your ride. I put them on my 2021 Rt LTd, work great.
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamo...-mirror-locks/
    Cheers
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Hey neighbor! Well...kinda. I'm SE of the Kansas City area
    Well you are not that close so maybe I will see you at the Lamonster Garage Spyder Rally
    starting Wednesday this week. I will be there . Would love to meet you.
    Ryde safe and enjoy the Ryde
    Artie
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Shifting into first from cold, perhaps the first service was not done and your oil level is a little low? Note there is a correct sequence to checking the oil level, or let the dealer do the service. It's always good to have a service baseline. The brake must be firmly pressed to engage gear. The first engagement forwards or reverse is always rewarded with a lovely but worryingly loud clunk. That's all normal.

Mirrors, mine did that a bit on my 2021. I moved them from one complete push to one side and then back to the other, then up and down, and that seemed to help a lot.

I'd check your tire pressures as they are often overlooked on a trike that isn't used much. I'd start with the recommended values under the seat on the sticker, usually 20 psi up front and 28 psi on the rear, if and only if they are Kenda OEM brand. Otherwise figure out which ones aren't OEM (ie replaced with car tires) and get pressures from some guru on here for advice. If there are car tires on the front or the rear, the pressures might need to be even lower as the vehicle is lighter than the car they were intended for. The OEM rear Kenda will wear out the center first, it is not symptom of incorrect pressure at 28 psi or so, they just wear like that due to centrifugal force. Note, the Harley has very different tire pressures due to its differing tire types and brands. 30 psi plus front pressure on the Harley is way, way too high for a Spyder's front tires. Make sure left and right tires match to within 0.5 psi for best results.

The seat and trunk struts are generally pretty useless within a short period of time. Take them off and go to an auto parts store and you might get a cheaper and better item for a lot less money. Also check the catches for the side panniers work as there is a service bulletin to replace the cables with stainless steel ones if they are stiff to operate. Depending upon your vin number there may be recalls, check the NHTSA.gov website to find out whether your bike needs them or they have been done. The dealer of course should check for this, but it's best to know for sure.

From my very limited experience on a Tri Glide, I think you will find it handles very much more securely.

Good luck and enjoy. They have their quirks, just like a Harley, but I enjoy mine.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver