Spyder Garage

Default New to me - which Spyder?

Not a Can Am Spyder owner yet. I'm 78, just sold my BMW R1200R. I'm a tad too unsteady on two wheels, so a Spyder is in my future.
    I want to start off slow, so what would be a good purchase for $8k or less as a beginner. I'm fairly good with tools, and sent a couple of Snap-On dealer's kids through college, so working on a Spyder is no problem.
    So, girls, and boys, what would you recommend.
    Oh yeah, I live near Las Vegas and will pay in cash.
    Photo is my last bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Test ride as many as possible and shop around. Facebook and here on SL site. If I were to do it again I'd focus on 14s to 17s they seem to have the fewest problems. But as for 8K, that's wishfill thinking. You've got to get up to twice that for a decent reliable ride. Good luck searcing.

Spyder Garage

Your price point might be a bit low for getting started with a Spyder. I would recommend a 2014 or higher year with the 1330 three cylinder engine. The older, 998's, especially the early ones 2008, 2009, which would be in that $8K price range, may be more work than you desire or are capable of working on.

I have seen 2014 going for $12K or so. I have a couple F3's, a 2019 and 2020 for sale. See my ad if interested.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...2020-F3Limited

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Very nice BMW. I see it is the later liquid/air cooled engine and has some nice farkles such as luggage, Corbin seat, etc.

Like other members said, I doubt you would be happy with the 990cc engine so therefore 2014+ 1330cc engine. Which is very nice: 3-cylinder, DOHC, counter-balance shaft, throttle-by-wire, Bosch ECM/TCM, etc. You'll like it although not quite as sophisticated as the BMW twin.

If you want to continue the open air ride then you want the F3 series.

And if you get one for $8K that's better than me at $9K ... including trailer.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

At such a low price point, you may need to consider a Ryker model.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ray is right: Used 2020 Ryker 600 $7,888 Make Offer in Las Vegas https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...CE+-5024226989

But I think after sitting on it Pop is gonna pass.

Spyder Garage

Your price point may be a tad too low. I would second the comments of other posters suggesting that you stay in years that have the 1330 engine. After that then the question is do you want an RT or an F3. I rode a bike similar to your BMW (R1200RT) in that it had a seating position with your feet basically directly under your body. The F3 has a feet forward cruiser seating position while the RT has a more sport bike position like the bike you now have. That is the reason I went to an RT when I had to give up the BMW. I found the seating position of the F3 awkward and uncomfortable. But this bike is for you and not me so test ride or at least sit on both an F3 and a RT and make your own decision. Incidentally it is less expensive to spend the money to get what you want the first time than to try to save money by buying older used bikes. I bought a 2019 RTL and found I loved it then traded for a new 2022 Sea to Sky where I could have saved about $5,000 by getting the 2022 to begin with. Someone suggested a Ryker. Your decision but the Ryker's look terribly small and seat the rider down close to the pavement. Again your choice. No matter what you will enjoy the Spyder.
    Last edited by Bartender; 09-07-2023 at 03:02 PM.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Like others have said, at your current budget you're probably looking at a used Ryker instead of a Spyder. I just made the switch myself a little over a month ago. I came from an R1200RT-LC and Energica Ribelle. I rented an F3-S for a week and test rode both F3 Limiteds and RT Limiteds (with my wife). Personally I found the F3 "sportier" despite the cruiser-ish riding position. My wife liked the lower riding position of the F3 Limited over the higher passenger seat on the RT Limited. But like others said, you need to test ride the different models to see what fits you the best. I highly recommend taking multiple test rides if at all possible and perhaps renting one or more. It's such a personal decision that even the cost of renting is money well spent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pop -- assuming your riding future will be a 3-wheeler here are your choices:

H-D and Honda (side-by-side): dangerous single steered front wheel sans safety electronics

Polaris (side-by-side): Slingshot (almost the same length and width of my Ford E-350)

Vanderhall (side-by-side): Santarosa, Classic, Venice: very nice but if I wanted a side-by-side I'd get a sidecar

Can-Am (fore-aft): Ryker (maybe too small); 990cc Spyder (out of production); 1330cc Spyder (Bob's your uncle!)

Spyder Garage

Not sure what you mean by H_D and Honda (side-by-side). They are the same as the Spyder, fore-aft. While Honda does make Side by Sides they are for off-road use and I don't think Harley has entered that market.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2023 at 08:17 PM. Reason: off rode... ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I am 76 and just went through what you are going through. Got rid of my 2 wheeler (Harley Heritage) and wanted to try a Spyder. I found a 2011 Can Am RT-S with the Semi-Auto transmission. Had to pay $10,500.00 but it had 20K miles and looked brand new and everything works. I like this bike very much. I agree that the later models with the 1330 engine and 6 speed transmission would be nice. But I wanted something I could pay for and enjoy. If you are like me and have never ridden a 3 wheeler, I will warn you that you are in for a surprise. It took me about 150-200 miles to relax and enjoy the ride. It does not ride anything like 2 wheels but relax and everything will be great.

Spyder Garage

If I were you, I would back up to post# 3 and jump into one of those nice rides!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The key will be to test ride and see which seating position works for you. As for your price point, it might be a little low for getting into a 1330 engine, but you can certainly find one for the $10k range. It will take a little patience, but they are out there. I am looking at a 2017 F3 base that is in that range. Just waiting for the title to come to him and then we will close the deal. Good luck with your search.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

BL - does the 2016-2017 Base come with Cruise? It's a deal breaker for me and my two replaced knees.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poprivit View Post
    BL - does the 2016-2017 Base come with Cruise? It's a deal breaker for me and my two replaced knees.
    The RT base comes with cruise. But the F3 base model does not come with cruise.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

You can add cruise control to the F3 Base model. All you have to do is change out the RH Switch Housing from a F3S. It's a plug N play install. I have the part and plan on installing this fall or winter.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice high mileage RT-S SE6 with eye-catching color and graphics $6,999 make offer leaves some headroom for extended warranty https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...SE6-5023672805

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

poprivit -- the only way to get a better deal than this https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Spyder-F3S-SE6 is to steal one.

PS I believe it has the 89T rear sprocket for added performance.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-22-2023 at 06:35 PM. Reason: replaced the 'image' of the link with the 'actual' link! ;-)

Spyder Garage

So Poprivit, did you find something or are you still looking? Let us know how your search is coming.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Welcome to this site! I'm 69, been riding 2 wheels for 50+ years, mostly Japanese/German bikes, but I owned 2 HD's as well. I bought a slightly used 2020 RTL (1100 miles on it in Dec 2022 when I bought it) Takes a little seat time to get used to the 3 wheels, it's not just a "Get on and ride" I now have almost 4K on it, and I love it. I bought it to do some long-distance riding, it has HUGE storage space, and you can buy Cam-Am luggage to fit it (I bought the hard case for the front storage) $8K is going to be hard to find, but don't be in a hurry to buy. Best time to buy is Winter, DEC-FEB (IMHO). I find the stock seat to be fine, and I can do 500+ miles a day on it. The 1330cc has plenty on HP for Hwy/In Town, but I noticed it only gets about 35mpg (Gold Wing got 43-47), and the "ECO" setting is worthless. But if you use it, it will retard the engine enough that passing will be VERY SLOW, and you should turn it off prior to passing. Cruise works Very well, Sound System is Great, and I use my phone for SiriusXM, Sena for helmet, all with no issues. The one problem I did have was I turned the engine off when it was in gear, that's a BIG NO-NO! Took about 10-12 minutes for the computer to work it out and go into Neutral. Good Luck with whatever bike you buy.

20230506_143710.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2023 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ryker's are not bad rides. They are different for sure, but that's because they have different roles to fill than the Spyder. Ryker's are "scrappy and fun" for around town and light travels while the Spyder is "smooth, brute force" capable for longer trips and cruising. (My interpretation)

I'm a Ryker fan. I paid like $9K for my wife's new 2023 600ACE. I don't see why a low mileage use Ryker 600 or 900 could not be found for around 8K. In my area, 2023 models are still in dealers and all are discounted $750-$1000. If you find a used model, you also forgo the destination and commodity charges Can-Am forces on people.

I do agree with others, with 8K you will be hard pressed to find a Spyder at that price that's not going to be a "service project". Best of luck and I hope you find something that fits your budget and needs.
    Last edited by broderp; 12-02-2023 at 11:21 AM.
    2023 Spyder F3-S, Manta Green
    2023 Ryker 600 ACE, Black on Black (The wife's toy )
    2020 Kawasaki Z900, Candy Plasma Blue

Spyder Garage

Well, thanks all. I found a 2015 F3s in my price range. I'm picking it up in two hours.

Spyder Garage

Well, thanks all. I found a 2015 F3s in my price range. I'm picking it up in two hours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

on finding a spyder.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue