Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F3 vs F3S down on power - computer? Will a flash fix this?

I see the 2017 F3 is down 10 hp when compared to the F3S (105 vs 115). Is that due to the tune of the computer? Can that hp be gained back with a computer flash?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Yes - the power drop is a detune 105 hp on F3 base models 2017 thru 2021. The 2022 and 2023 F3 not detuned - 115 hp.
    Last edited by tibadoe; 09-06-2023 at 06:35 PM.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

If you can't get the HP back with a reflash at the dealer you might look into a reflash from Monster FI where you should be able to get more than 115 HP in stage 1?

Spyder Garage

I think the detune was on the base f3 from 2018 -2021... I almost just bought a 17 and I found an old can am brochure and it said 115hp for the base f3 in 2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I think the detune was on the base f3 from 2018 -2021... I almost just bought a 17 and I found an old can am brochure and it said 115hp for the base f3 in 2017
    I actually have a 2017 brochure and it does say 105 hp. The 2015 and 2016 say 115hp. I know the 2022 F3 base also had 105hp. I think 2023 was the first time (after 2016) that the base model went back to 115 hp for all 1330 engines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AndysF3S View Post
    If you can't get the HP back with a reflash at the dealer you might look into a reflash from Monster FI where you should be able to get more than 115 HP in stage 1?
    I was actually thinking about the Monster flash. I really hadn't thought about the dealership doing a reflash to bring it to the stock 115 hp. If that is a possibility, that is something that I would do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I actually have a 2017 brochure and it does say 105 hp. The 2015 and 2016 say 115hp. I know the 2022 F3 base also had 105hp. I think 2023 was the first time (after 2016) that the base model went back to 115 hp for all 1330 engines.
    I am not very confident about the correct HP rating on the 2017.. some sources say 115 some say 105... the 2022 base f3 has 115 according to the can am site (the 2021 has 105)

IMG_1755.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    I am not very confident about the correct HP rating on the 2017.. some sources say 115 some say 105... the 2022 base f3 has 115 according to the can am site (the 2021 has 105)

IMG_1755.jpg
    I am now wondering if they did anything with the sprocket size for the ones that were detuned to 105 hp?
    I miss having a hard copy of the brochere to look over. No one seems to have them anymore. The last year that I was able to get one around here was the 2017 models. Working on a deal for a 2017 F3 base model that I would like to turn into as close to a road race spyder as I can, without putting too much money into it. I love my 2021 RTL, but I am now missing the sportyness of the F3 platform. I still ride the wife's 2016 F3L special series, but sometimes she gives me that "why you riding my bike" look. Kinda want to have this F3 as a cafe racer type of thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My reading of the BRP Parts Catalog says your wife's 2016 F3 has an 89T (6-spoke) rear sprocket while your 2017 F3 Std has an 79T (3-spoke) rear sprocket. With enough money you might match you wife's head start.

You have two conflicting objectives:

(1) "close to a road race spyder as I can"

(2) "cafe racer type of thing"

Pick one.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have experience comparing the Monster FI tune and BLRTuning ? They appear to be almost identical solutions. Thx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

If you're serious about road racing, remember weight is your enemy. I think the 900cc Ryker is the better starting point for a variety of reasons beginning with 616lbs vs F3's 851lbs. Then proceed with tires and suspension. And if you can find a track that allows it, open track time (all the tracks I know only allow cars and motorcycles) which my instructors always said was the best investment (and most fun). Then if you still need more speed there's this $3K farkle https://www.silberturbos.com/product...-900-turbo-kit

PS if I was a decade younger this is what I'd be riding.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 09-07-2023 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added PS
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    If you're serious about road racing, remember weight is your enemy. I think the 900cc Ryker is the better starting point for a variety of reasons beginning with 616lbs vs F3's 851lbs. Then proceed with tires and suspension. And if you can find a track that allows it, open track time (all the tracks I know only allow cars and motorcycles) which my instructors always said was the best investment (and most fun). Then if you still need more speed there's this $3K farkle https://www.silberturbos.com/product...-900-turbo-kit

WOW..... That's Impressive ..... Bert do you know if this kit eliminates the stock muffler .....If so, then it's not for street riding .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post

I might have been a little miss leading on the road racing comment. It would be mostly used for local rides and then some serious corner carving on the mountain roads that I like to do day trips to (about 400-500 mile days). I also would possibly be able to get in some time at VIR for some of their charity laps for things such as toys for tots. I actually bought a 2012 RSS back in the day to try and do some road racing with. And I found out that they do not allow 3 wheeled vehicles. Only cars and bikes were allowed. That was a real shame, as I had loads of fun when I was able to take the spyder to the track for charity laps. I went with the mustang club and we did the whole track at VIR. They made my buddy and I start in the rear (which sucked). But after about 4 laps, the mustang in front (that was holding us up) of us spun out. That allowed us to put the hammer down and have some real fun.

Spyder Garage

What do you guys think would be a good price on a 2017 F3 base model? I see pricing on the F3S and the F3L. But not much info on the base model when it comes to KBB pricing. I am thinking that if it can be had for under $10k it is not a bad deal. What do you guys think?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    What do you guys think would be a good price on a 2017 F3 base model? I see pricing on the F3S and the F3L. But not much info on the base model when it comes to KBB pricing. I am thinking that if it can be had for under $10k it is not a bad deal. What do you guys think?
    That would be a heck of a deal. I'm guessing that the F3 base model will be valued a bit more just because Can-Am dropped it from the 2024 lineup. I found the NADA PPV here: https://www.jdpower.com/motorcycles/...-1330cc/values

I think it may be tough to find one @ 10k -- but who knows. Find the right seller in a pinch, and a good deal may develop.
    Last edited by tibadoe; 09-11-2023 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Pricing update
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    That would be a heck of a deal. I'm guessing that the F3 base model will be valued a bit more just because Can-Am dropped it from the 2024 lineup. I found the NADA PPV here: https://www.jdpower.com/motorcycles/...-1330cc/values

I think it may be tough to find one @ 10k -- but who knows. Find the right seller in a pinch, and a good deal may develop.
    Thank you! That is good information. I notice they actually quote it as a SM6. The SE6 is typically $1500 more when purchased new, and that seems to be holding. I did notice that under more detailed information they state 5 speed. But that is a mistake that many make. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

I think finding one for 10k or under is a difficult ask..but I know you personally have much better luck finding them in the GA - Carolina areas for that price... in the Ohio/mi/indiana area they seem to be 12-15... I almost never see anything under 12k around here unless it's a 2015 model year f3 with higher miles and that is kinda beat up.