Spyder Garage

Default Anyone had Front Wheel Bearings wear out?

Question for the collective Spyder community. Has anyone had a set of front wheel bearings wear out on a 2013 and newer Spyder? If so, how many miles?
    I work on a lot of Spyders and have yet to come across one with front bearings needing replacement. Rears yes, but never fronts. My own bike is approaching the 100k miles point and I will replace the rear bearings again and the drive belt but got to thinking about the fronts. May just do them anyway but got curious and thought to ask the community if any have failed due to wear.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

On dads old RTL- 2015 special addition, he had 110,000 when he traded it in. He never had the fronts done. Rear once around 80K. They started whining pretty loud. It solely saw Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada highways which is very smooth and no tar chip and high temps. All asphalt and cement. Belt was never replaced but should have. They were rounded off pretty good. He is not an aggressive rider simply a cruzer with mom.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

We have never seen bad front wheel bearings. And we've had some pretty thrashed Spyders in the shop. I'm sure it happens. But I think it very rare.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-06-2023 at 11:00 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We have never seen bad front wheel bearings. And we've had some pretty thrashed Spyder in the shop. I'm sure it happens. But I think it very rare.
    Thanks Ron. I am leaning toward if they are not loose, just let them ride. I replaced the rears at 50k and will likely do those again at 100 but seems if the failure rate on the fronts are this low that no one sees them fail, my odds are pretty good leaving them be if they show no signs of trouble.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Thanks Ron. I am leaning toward if they are not loose, just let them ride. I replaced the rears at 50k and will likely do those again at 100 but seems if the failure rate on the fronts are this low that no one sees them fail, my odds are pretty good leaving them be if they show no signs of trouble.
    That's the way I'd go unless there is evidence of a problem. The rear bearings are another story. Though BRP has improved these over the years.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I honestly think that you would hear them singing way before they go out if they were to go bad.
    Also like you mentioned, check for looseness occasionally.

Back years ago on auto's, truck and big rigs, if we suspected a bad bearing, we would lift the wheel off the ground and spin the tire with a spin balancer and listen for noise. There was no missing it if they were going out.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

On my old Spyder (2011 RTS, SM5) had 97,000 miles when I traded it in this summer. I rode double over 90% of the time and fully loaded. All of my wheel bearings were original. Same as my front brake pads and all rotors. I guess I was lucky. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I know the original question was regarding 2013 or newer, but I think my case does apply.

I had an original 2008 Premier Edition. The front end was so misaligned from the factory it caused several front-end components to wear out prematurely, including a front wheel bearing.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced a front bearing cartridge on my 2015 F3-S, not due to bearing failure but changing out the spindle. I was trying to troubleshoot a brake run-out / wheel flange run-out. But the bearings were good.

While chasing the run-out issue, as measured with a dial indicator, I found that flange and the center ring both had significant run-out. The center ring/boss that locates the wheel, had lateral runout, a wobble, if you will. That's the same surface that laser wheel alignment magnets attach. That, and coupled with the paint, will affect the accuracy of any alignment based on that datum.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap