Spyder Garage

Talking Rattle - couldn't find the annoying Rattle... Helmet Visor Snap!

Recently traded wheels with wife’s Spyder also changed out coolant for some fresh juice. Then as I was riding I began hearing a rattle of metal hitting metal. As I leaned forward to listen I could hear it coming from the front, as I leaned backwards to listen it was coming from the back. Confused. I spent the morning going over everything I had pulled out and installed looking high and low for the culprit. Took it down the road for a quick check with no helmet so I could hear better and no rattle, came back put on my helmet and went for a longer ride as it seemed that it didn’t rattle till 50 mph or faster, there was that rattle again. I stopped pulled off my visor from helmet as it is attached with 3 snaps one of which (middle one) was not attached. Guess what!?! Rattle is gone!! It was that friggin snap rattling. Good news all bolts and hardware have been inspected and all are snug and tight. Sometimes it’s the simple things.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2023 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

It's the little things that drive us nuts. Happens to everyone! Glad you found your gremlin!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last time that happened to me, it was my brain. I came up with 2 extra screws after I replaced a headlight bulb. I used to lay out and mark everything carefully but because I've had this dam spyder apart so many times I thought knew where every screw came from. Well, I guess not. SOAB!

Spyder Garage

I was out for a ride once awhile back and also heard a rattle which seemed to be coming from the left side. Stopped and looked around but could not find anything loose. Got back on the road and sure enough the rattle was back. Stopped again and put the sun visor up into my helmet and looked around some more, but again, nothing seemed amiss. Back on the road, rattle gone. I put the sun visor back down. Rattle was back. Put the sun visor back up, and sure enough, the rattle was back. I felt like a dope.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Recently traded wheels with wife’s Spyder also changed out coolant for some fresh juice. Then as I was riding I began hearing a rattle of metal hitting metal. As I leaned forward to listen I could hear it coming from the front, as I leaned backwards to listen it was coming from the back. Confused. I spent the morning going over everything I had pulled out and installed looking high and low for the culprit. Took it down the road for a quick check with no helmet so I could hear better and no rattle, came back put on my helmet and went for a longer ride as it seemed that it didn’t rattle till 50 mph or faster, there was that rattle again. I stopped pulled off my visor from helmet as it is attached with 3 snaps one of which (middle one) was not attached. Guess what!?! Rattle is gone!! It was that friggin snap rattling. Good news all bolts and hardware have been inspected and all are snug and tight. Sometimes it’s the simple things.
    I know exactly what you’re saying. I had the same situation approximately 15 years ago while riding my GoldWing, and it was also the 3 snaps on my visor. Easiest fix is to purchase a new visor (check it BEFORE leaving the store, as they sometimes are already loose), or......carefully use a hammer to tighten them (usually works but not always). Good luck!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Add me to the growing list. For me it was switching from my summer half helmet to my cool weather 3/4 helmet. Half helmet has a visor attached, 3/4 helmet has a 3 snap face shield. Just like all of you, it drove me NUTS for miles until I finally realized my bike only made noise when I was looking to my left (rattle-rattle).
    They say age brings wisdom, I'm still waiting!
    2016 S6E , Red

Spyder Garage

Smear a little wood putty in the snaps and put the visor back on. It will stop the rattle and you can still get it off by popping the snaps loose with a screwdriver.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver