Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Baja,

Great picture. Reminds me of Bonnie & Clyde. My father's favorite car was his Wills Sainte Claire. At least that's the one he mentioned the most. He had it in the 30's, used, and said it was fast way back then.
    Never heard of it! But this is a nice car! I'm sure it was 'Fast' in the 30's!

Wills Sainte Claire.jpg

Interesting man. Perfection is a fine goal. But it can be carried too far and was the demise of this man and his automobile. Sometimes you need to listen to your employees. They have a brain too! And if they don't... Why are they working for you?

This is what Wikipedia says about the car and the man.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wills Sainte Claire was an American automobile brand manufactured by C. H. Wills and Company, in Marysville, Michigan, from 1921 to 1927. Childe Harold Wills, the company founder, was a perfectionist and his automobile company focused on very high-quality cars. Wills' mother was a fan of Lord Byron's poetry and Wills never used his first name.

As a metallurgical engineer, Wills was an aide of Henry Ford. Wills introduced vanadium steel for the production of the Ford Model T; it was the first the large-scale application of the alloy. Wills was also a designer and is credited with designing the script "Ford Blue Oval" emblem that the company uses to this day.

Wills left Ford on his own terms and with a severance package of more than 1.5 million dollars, which he used to establish his own car company he originally named "Wills Saint Clair" – Wills for himself and "Saint Clair" for the Saint Clair River near his new factory. Wills later added the extra e's, thinking that the French spelling elevated the cachet of the product.

The first Wills Sainte Claire rolled off the assembly line in 1921. Production was delayed due to metallurgy issues surrounding the use of molybdenum in castings, which Wills insisted be used in the production of the car in order to ensure its durability. Despite the durability of the cars, once production got underway most of Wills' executive staff abandoned him by 1922 because Wills was known to shut the whole assembly line down if a new and innovative method occurred to him. After going into receivership that year, the company was refinanced by a group of bankers from Boston and reincorporated as Wills Sainte Claire Incorporated in 1923. Automotive designer Amos Northup worked at Wills Sainte Claire until 1924.

Wills cars rode on either 121 in (3,073 mm) or 127 in (3,226 mm) wheelbases and featured either V8 or inline-6-cylinder overhead cam engines. There was also a wide range of body styles - four-passenger roadster; five-passenger Gray Goose special touring car; seven-passenger touring car; 4-door brougham; four-passenger coupe; five-passenger sedan; five-passenger Imperial sedan and town car. Unable to sustain volume sufficient to make a profit, Wills closed the factory in 1927. Wills was later involved in the development of the front-wheel drive Ruxton automobile. The factory was later acquired by Chrysler.
    All Wills Sainte Claire automobiles are classified as "Classic Cars" by the Classic Car Club of America. Outside of automotive circles, Wills Sainte Claire is best known for its Canada goose logo. Wills chose it because he felt the Canada goose was the ultimate traveler of the world.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-09-2023 at 10:57 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is one not to far from me...It was still open for business until the owner recently passed away...Don't know the current status...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-vi...-19326907.html

Here is a nice read about it...

https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthre...&Number=789532
    Last edited by larryd; 09-09-2023 at 11:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Here is one not to far from me...It was still open for business until the owner recently passed away...Don't know the current status...

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-vi...-19326907.html

Here is a nice read about it...

https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthre...&Number=789532
    Wow! That is awesome! People accuse me of living in the 60's. Other than the Viet Nam war. What was wrong with the 60's? We had a lot of things that were great. And we've lost them. To America's detriment, in my opinion.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't let it ever run out of oil! The early Plymouths had a soft crankshaft and it took very little time with low or no oil to "flatten" them. A crankshaft regrind was then necessary.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Don't let it ever run out of oil! The early Plymouths had a soft crankshaft and it took very little time with low or no oil to "flatten" them. A crankshaft regrind was then necessary.
    I'm using 10/40 diesel oil in it right now. I'm hoping the higher detergent and ability to suspend more junk with a diesel oil will clean it out some. Not sure it needs it. But I didn't drop the pan so I'm not sure what it looks like in there. Oil pressure is 40 psi, going down the road. When it gets good and hot it will drop to around 35 psi at speed and 10~15 psi at idle. From what I've read, this is pretty good. Like with everything else. There is a big debate on what oil version, weight, and brand to use.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Oil pressure is 40 psi, going down the road. When it gets good and hot it will drop to around 35 psi at speed and 10~15 psi at idle.
    It actually has a pressure oiling system? From what I remember back in the early 50's Plymouth engines used splash oiling for the connecting rod bearings. Or did the engine have both? Or do I just remember wrong?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It actually has a pressure oiling system? From what I remember back in the early 50's Plymouth engines used splash oiling for the connecting rod bearings. Or did the engine have both? Or do I just remember wrong?
    It definitely has a pressure oil system. Not sure what components are pressure fed. But I'd hope the main, cam, and rod bearings are on the list. We all 'Know' things that aren't true. That system works fine until something goes wrong! They say 'Ignorance is Bliss!' I think we all know some extremely 'Blissful' people!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-09-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It definitely has a pressure oil system. Not sure what components are pressure fed. But I'd hope the main, cam, and rod bearings are on the list. We all 'Know' things that aren't true. That system works fine until something goes wrong! They say 'Ignorance is Bliss!' I think we all know some extremely 'Blissful' people!
    It looks like my memory is imagination with regard to splash oiling of the rods, although that was a real system in early automotive years. But I do remember my mother's cousin mechanic discussing the issue of "soft" crankshafts in Chrysler engines circa 1955 when we had a 1953 Plymouth. I think he said the same about the 1957 Plymouth we had after that. I know it had a knocking rod when Mom & I took it to Boise in 1962 to trade it for the Rambler we had for years.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Ron when I was growing up my mom and dad owned a 1952 4 door Plymouth Belvedere, the year I was born. It had a three speed shifter on the steering column. This is the car my brother and I learned to drive at my dad’s farm when we were about 11 or 12 years old. The photo of your Plymouth brought back fond memories.
    That’s what we referred to as “3 in the tree”.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I wonder how many guys did like my oldest brother. Moved the shift lever to the left side to make it easier to hold on to his girl!

One cousin in the early 50's said a cop told him, "Use both hands!" "I can't. I need one to drive with!"

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    That is now refereed to as a an anti-theft device.

None of the young car-jackers know how to drive one.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Beans! Congrats Ron.

Spyder Garage

Nice looking vehicle, Ron. When oldbikerblll and I were young lads those were as common as dirt. Now they are precious. I have been drooling over a 47 Ford coupe. If I only had the room for it!!!!