Spyder Garage

Default My RT622 with Class 1 cooler basket on the rear of the trailer!

Thinking of fabricating a rear class 1 or 2, 1.25 hitch reciever to bolt on the rear of the RT622 trailer for temporary use of a small cooler. I carry a lot of camping gear when we go camping, so there is no issue with tongue wt. The cooler i have is a small 16qt cooler. (smaller thant the 20qt cooler in pic) but you get the idea. I know a lot of people carry them on the tongue instead but I thought this would be a quick easy way to mount and dismount the rack. A lighted tag holder could be fitted to the carrier and tag relocated there when in use. Cooler would be on the back, out of the wind and debris from rear tire. Just an idea.

FB.
    RT622 rear reciever.jpg

Spyder Garage

Several years ago I mounted a heavy duty plastic box on aluminum frame I made for a trailer hitch on my '14 RT to haul some light stuff to a Rally. Two hundred miles and vibration has started loosening bolts. Couple more hundred and plastic box had lost lid and began cracking. Needless to say that was the end of it. I thought it was made very sturdy and never thought of how much vibration resulted from that hitch on the back wheel. I'm wondering if you might encounter similar situation.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see two concerns. One is you may have problem getting a 60/40 weight distribution in front/rear of the axle. That will affect handling and tracking. Second, being that far behind the axle any movement up and down of the tires, and subsequently the trailer body, will be multiplied. You know, the lever effect. I would really be leery of doing it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball1800 View Post
    Thinking of fabricating a rear class 1 or 2, 1.25 hitch reciever to bolt on the rear of the RT622 trailer for temporary use of a small cooler. I carry a lot of camping gear when we go camping, so there is no issue with tongue wt. The cooler i have is a small 16qt cooler. (smaller thant the 20qt cooler in pic) but you get the idea. I know a lot of people carry them on the tongue instead but I thought this would be a quick easy way to mount and dismount the rack. A lighted tag holder could be fitted to the carrier and tag relocated there when in use. Cooler would be on the back, out of the wind and debris from rear tire. Just an idea.

FB.
    RT622 rear reciever.jpg
    Update.. Well I've completed my winter project... Mod's are: Rotopax mount on front, 1 gallon fuel, and 1 gallon water; Cooler rack with MooseJaw cooler on rear.

Trailer Mods.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2024 at 10:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck! Hopefully the cooler won’t hit when going over dips/speed bumps in the crappy road system

Spyder Garage

I like the Rotopax fuel and water idea on the tongue. Have you loaded it and tested it yet? What tongue weight did you end up with?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope it doesn't fishtail.

Spyder Garage

I would also be concerned with the weight of the cooler and its contents behind the trailer axle. Looks like the trailer could experience significant sway back and forth like regular trailers towed behind cars. I would test this setup very carefully with small increases in load before fully loading and leaving on a trip.
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.