Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Hardly anyone on this site has ever checked their tire pressures using the chalk mark method on their tire treads. Amazing how such a simple test gets no attention at all. JMO
    and here's why ( IMHO ) as Peter said above .... the Difference in tire Brand ( Auto vs. Kenda's ) tire size, HARD road surface composition, temperature, rider size / weight, and riding style is so SMALL.... it's meaningless for the avg. everyday rider ..... For the professional or even amateur RACER it's a different story .... ride more - worry less .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't know what the chalk method is?
    You can't check the front tires on a ride unless you carry an air compressor. As soon as you put your gauge on you will lose about 1 or 2 PSI which is about 10% of the PSI
    I use a TPMS on all my vehicles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I don't know what the chalk method is?
    You can't check the front tires on a ride unless you carry an air compressor. As soon as you put your gauge on you will lose about 1 or 2 PSI which is about 10% of the PSI
    I use a TPMS on all my vehicles
    You are absolutely correct about the 1 or 2 loss in PSI. With the PSIs we run, 1 or 2 means much more than if we were running say 80/90 PSI. Also, ambient influences will affect us more. I also run TPMS (FOBOs) for that very reason. The chalk method is simply a yardstick method to get you into the ballpark so to speak. It's not for fine tuning your PSIs. Use a piece of chalk to make a mark across the tread of your tire. Then drive in a straight line for a short distance and examine the chalk mark. I mark next to the stem to make it easier to find. If the mark is gone in the center of the tire and remains on the two outside edges then you have too much PSI. If the mark is still showing on the center and gone on the outside edges then you need more PSI. More importantly, if the mark is gone on one side of the tire and not on the other side, then you have a serious alignment problem. I might also suggest you get a tire tread depth gauge. That can also help give you an insight as to how your tires are wearing. Good luck in understanding and playing with your PSIs but don't let it interfere with the enjoyment of riding your spyder.