Spyder Garage

Default Inquiring minds want to know.... will '23 RT brake pedal fit earlier models?

I have a 2020 Spyder RT and have always considered some way of lowering the brake pedal (without sacrificing safety) due to having to lift my foot to get onto the brake pedal. If I try to pivot my foot on the heel, I hit the side of the brake pedal...not good.
    But I was in a dealership yesterday and happened to notice that the 2023 Spyder RT brake pedal seemed lower to my eye so I sat on one. And sure enough, I could pivot on my heel and my foot slips right up onto the brake pedal. I want one!
    So, I searched a parts microfiche and found that the 2023 brake pedal is a different part # (705602008) from the 2020 brake pedal # (705601786), but the link rod is the same # (705601847) on both year models...and I wonder if the 2023 brake pedal will fit on a 2020 model.

Anybody out there know?

p.s...I know there are mods out there to lower the brake pedal by shortening the link rod, but they cost about double what the 2023 brake pedal costs ($56.99)
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2023 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    I have a 2020 Spyder RT and have always considered some way of lowering the brake pedal (without sacrificing safety) due to having to lift my foot to get onto the brake pedal. If I try to pivot my foot on the heel, I hit the side of the brake pedal...not good.
    But I was in a dealership yesterday and happened to notice that the 2023 Spyder RT brake pedal seemed lower to my eye so I sat on one. And sure enough, I could pivot on my heel and my foot slips right up onto the brake pedal. I want one!
    So, I searched a parts microfiche and found that the 2023 brake pedal is a different part # (705602008) from the 2020 brake pedal # (705601786), but the link rod is the same # (705601847) on both year models...and I wonder if the 2023 brake pedal will fit on a 2020 model.

Anybody out there know?

p.s...I know there are mods out there to lower the brake pedal by shortening the link rod, but they cost about double what the 2023 brake pedal costs ($56.99)
    IMHO getting and using a Shorter Brake Pedal ( ie. one that is NOT for your year Spyder ) is not something you should try. ..... I'm sure both of those RT's have floor boards ..... the floor board will limit how far or much you can depress the brake pedal. .... you might not be able to stop from any speeds over 15 mph ..... be careful what you wish for .....JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree with Mike. Modifying a brake system requires much consideration and if not done correctly can be very dangerous to rider and passenger. Aftermarket mods go through extensive testing before being released to the public. Consider your options carefully. Good luck and stay safe.

Spyder Garage

Something like this will be guaranteed to put the pedal where you want it, fully adjustable.

But as already stated always ensure its is not so low it impedes the application of the brakes.

Me I have it high. Can just get the toe of my boot boot under the pedal. Works for me.

canam-spyder-f3-adjustable-brake-rod-spyderextras-glow.jpg
    Last edited by Isopedella; 09-02-2023 at 01:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

You may be able to move it forward by one or two splines; or use Isopedella's suggested adjustable rod.

Brake Pedal removal.jpg
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Something like this will be guaranteed to put the pedal where you want it, fully adjustable.

But as already stated always ensure its is not so low it impedes the application of the brakes.

Me I have it high. Can just get the toe of my boot boot under the pedal. Works for me.

canam-spyder-f3-adjustable-brake-rod-spyderextras-glow.jpg
    That might work on an " F-3 " ..... the OP has an ...RT ... Mike

Spyder Garage

AHH GOTCHA GFrog's photo shows it I guess.

Then I guess shifting on the splines may be worth an experiment.

Are there marks on the bracket and spline like center-punch dots or something?

If not I have found marking the position on the spline and the bracket is a good idea prior to removal.
    Gives you a datum I guess.

1 spline surprisingly goes a long way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    AHH GOTCHA GFrog's photo shows it I guess.

Then I guess shifting on the splines may be worth an experiment.

Are there marks on the bracket and spline like center-punch dots or something?

If not I have found marking the position on the spline and the bracket is a good idea prior to removal.
    Gives you a datum I guess.

1 spline surprisingly goes a long way.
    Thanks all. The reason I even think about this is the fact that having to raise my leg to get onto the brake pedal slows down reaction time for braking, and anything that can shorten that reaction time is worth consideration (to me),
    I do want to relocate the OEM brake pedal one spline lower just to see if that works...but today I'm a bit "left over" from installing speed bleeders and then flushing the brake fluid. Crawling around with multiple trips up/down isn't as much fun as it used to be.....
    (just got home from an early 150 mile ride...beat the holiday traffic by going early!)
    John B.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post

Anybody out there know?

Double check the parts diagrams! When I look at the hydraulic brake parts diagram for the 2020 RT it shows the same number as for the 2023 with a notation that it replaces the ....1786 part.

2020 pedal.jpg

The fit on the 2023 may have been some other change in configuration, say like the floorboard. Go back to the dealer and look at it more closely.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-03-2023 at 01:17 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Judging from the parts diagrams the two pedals are the same shape.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    You may be able to move it forward by one or two splines; or use Isopedella's suggested adjustable rod.

Brake Pedal removal.jpg
    GFrog, Iso, Bama…….No, unfortunately you can’t simply adjust the splines. On the’20+ RT it is not simply a spline to spline. There is a cutout in the pedal splines and a raised section in the receptor so that the pedal will only fit in one position. (My first thought when I got my ‘21 was to rotate the splines. Nope, nope, nope…..and Lamont then mentioned it in one of his fitment videos).

I am wondering though, if the new model has a new part number for the pedal assembly, if BRP have taken feedback on board and have changed the position of the pedal assembly cutout to allow the pedal to sit a little lower. If that proves to be the case, I will be ordering a new pedal assembly post haste. Only time (and a bit more research) will tell

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Is adding a floorboard riser workable for you..it would put your foot a little higher..
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

Spyder Garage

Looking at the parts diagrams again I see the Rocker, the shaft the pedal attaches to, has been changed since 2020. So maybe if you buy the rocker and pedal you can get what you you want.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Is adding a floorboard riser workable for you..it would put your foot a little higher..
    This was my answer to the brake pedal vs floorboards, Lamonster's 2" floorboard riser. This also helped with mounting and dismounting. If your long legged this may not be what your looking for. Works great for us older 5'10" tall people that aren't so limber anymore. Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    GFrog, Iso, Bama…….No, unfortunately you can’t simply adjust the splines.

Pete
    Well, bummer...

Maybe they changed something in 2022+ RTs.

Mine doesn't seem to be raised that much. Here is a picture from my 2022 I took tonight.

Brake Pedal angle.jpg
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    This was my answer to the brake pedal vs floorboards, Lamonster's 2" floorboard riser. This also helped with mounting and dismounting. If your long legged this may not be what your looking for. Works great for us older 5'10" tall people that aren't so limber anymore. Bill
    Glad it's working for you..being 2” shorter I added a 4” mounting block to my floorboard..
    2021 RTL Chalk White (a paler shade of grey, of which there are 50)
    Name: GreyGhost

Spyder Garage

2" or 4" riser on the floor board ????? .... My mental picture of this seems to prevent the brake pedal ARM from travelling the FULL distance needed to achieve MAX braking .... ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    2" or 4" riser on the floor board ????? .... My mental picture of this seems to prevent the brake pedal ARM from travelling the FULL distance needed to achieve MAX braking .... ..... Mike
    Trust Me, the foot brake works fine with the 2" Lamonster floorboard riser. As for a 4" riser, I believe GreyGhost used a block on top of his floorboards positioned for mounting purposes only, not effecting the brake pedals operation. The 2020+ RT's floorboards are long enough to accommodate an extra block. Bill
    Last edited by Knizar; 09-04-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    GFrog, Iso, Bama…….No, unfortunately you can’t simply adjust the splines. On the’20+ RT it is not simply a spline to spline. There is a cutout in the pedal splines and a raised section in the receptor so that the pedal will only fit in one position. (My first thought when I got my ‘21 was to rotate the splines. Nope, nope, nope…..and Lamont then mentioned it in one of his fitment videos).

I am wondering though, if the new model has a new part number for the pedal assembly, if BRP have taken feedback on board and have changed the position of the pedal assembly cutout to allow the pedal to sit a little lower. If that proves to be the case, I will be ordering a new pedal assembly post haste. Only time (and a bit more research) will tell

Pete
    Thanks Pete. I read your post AFTER I pulled the brake pedal off and discovered exactly what you say....goofy is as goofy does! I reckon if I'd keep my right foot completely still in one spot on the floorboard, I might be quicker on the braking....but can't be still with my feet, adjusting to terrain and bracing myself.
    John B.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    Yes, that’s the perfect answer for those with “not so long” legs, Knizar. Doesn’t work for those of us with loooong legs though. I am desperately hoping that the “new” pedal assembly has been modified so that pedal height has been reduced, but I doubt I could be that lucky. I have taken the rubber pedal cover off and replaced it with a scrap of rubber glued on top of the metal. That gives me 3/4” which helps (along with my Daylong lifting me 1.5”).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all again. I don't want to raise the floorboards. Similar to Pete, my feet are 13 XW. So right now, I'm stuck with the OEM setup on the brake pedal (which is workable... just wanted to fine-tune it a little).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-04-2023 at 10:40 PM. Reason: theOEM
    John B.