Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Is a 2 up shock a necessary item on the F3 and F3S?

I have come across a smoking deal on a 2017 F3 base model. I know it doesn't have cruise or anything, and I am Ok with that. This would be my hooligan machine and only ridden 1 up 100% of the time. I know a lot of people upgraded to the 2 up shock, but is that a necessary item? Will I bottom out riding with the stock shock?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you will be riding by yourself the stock shock is satisfactory, go 2 up though and if you are a big boy like me then you will need a better shock.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I am 180-190 and wife is 165-75. I don’t consider us big but average to a bit big. I upgraded to the M2 shock and went above what was needed since I also tow a trailer that sometimes hits 42 tongue weight. Marcus set me up with a 700 spring. If I would not be pulling a trailer then 600 would be perfect. If riding solo for a long period of time I loosen the spring tension by 5 turns and it’s perfect. A bit stiffer but imagine the OEM and +3 on airbag. If 2 up, The M2 shock its perfect, 1.25 inch sag constant. It is stiffer feeling no doubt. She loves the feeling of the M2 stiffness compared to the OEM with airbag set on 5! You will not bottom out with the M2! Noticed a huge difference for us. I have the RT series not the F3 but I imagine the touring shock is about the same rating on both the F3L and RTL
    Last edited by Wmoater; 09-01-2023 at 11:32 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    If you will be riding by yourself the stock shock is satisfactory, go 2 up though and if you are a big boy like me then you will need a better shock.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. 260 here, so a 2 up might be in order.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I am planning on upgrading all 3 shocks in the near future. Maybe going with the M2. Probably don't really need to but I been hearing lots of good things about upgraded shocks, sway bar, and tires.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I wouldn’t bother going with the BRP 2 up shock, Blacklightning, as it is still pretty weak. If you are going to upgrade, spend that little bit more and go with something like M2.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I prefer the wilbers over the M2, I got mine with the HPA adjuster so I don't have to turn any wrenches to adjust it (rear shock).

Plus there are no remote reservoirs to worry about with the wilbers as on the M2's.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 09-01-2023 at 05:30 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That's kinda what I was thinking. 260 here, so a 2 up might be in order.
    I'm 235 and the stock shock was not great but good enough. But get the wife on it with me and I would bottom out if I didn't take my time going across transitions such as bridges or even wavy parts of the highway.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black