Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry 2022 Ryker only 3k miles - transmission blown - Help?!

My Ryker just hit 3k a month ago when it started making a noise at low rpm. When I would go fast it would stop.

I set up a service appointment and a few weeks later as I drove it into the lot it made a popping sound and turned off. I turned the engine back on and drove 200 ft into the bay parking.

Left it for 2 weeks; they couldn't find out what was going on & I left for vacation. My buddy called me as I was out of the country to say the dealership said the transmission blew. That's crazy at 3k miles! And it was 2 months after warranty expired.

Anyway, they talked to Can Am and they are providing a new transmission, but I have to pay for labor. This sounds odd to me; could I get your guys opinions?

I just got back into country and today I plan to call the dealership to see what's up and I'm thinking about calling Can Am. What should I do or say? No reason for the transmission to blow as I don't ride it rough...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2023 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Caps; ' 's; nose; +... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Can you tell us more about the noise at low rpm? Could you feel anything while riding it, or just hear a noise?

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Can you tell us more about the noise at low rpm? Could you feel anything while riding it, or just hear a noise?

Sarah
    Yeh it would sound like a low buzzing from 20 to 30 miles per hour or 1500 ro 3000 rpm in thay range when i would go faster it would stop

But as mentioned when I got it to service it made a loud pop and turned off the ryker that was great concern. When I looked at the forum beforehand I was thinking it was the fuel pump noise but I never had it before.

The work I think has already begun on the transmission that's what I'll find out today but should I call can am myself on the issues

Spyder Garage

I'm new to Can Am ownership myself, other folks will chime in who can better advise you. I'm thinking I'd call the dealership and ask for an update, making sure to take notes. I would ask the service manager to provide the details of a blown transmission. What does that mean exactly, and what caused it?

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

See what the service manager has to say, if they don't seem to have a grasp on the particulars ask to speak to the tech who actually worked on the bike. Post back and share what you learned so the folks here can help you. Since the factory agreed to cover the parts they may be willing to cover the labor too, if you state your case with polite but firm insistence. Can't hurt to try.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Make sure you get the old parts back. Don't take their word on what they replaced or repaired. Since the Ryker doesn't have a "transmission" in the typical sense I am wondering if a broken belt or something to do with the centrifugal clutches let loose.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope things work out for you ..... You have a 22 Ryker and the warranty ended ...2 mos. ago ???? .... How is this possible .....Mike

Spyder Garage

"Blown Transmission' really doesn't tell us much. You should not be having any issues at 3k. If it still moved it means the belt was intact. And breaking the belt at low RPM should not do that much damage. Are they saying the CVT went out? Or is it the gear reduction box? A number of Rykers had oil leaks from this box. It only holds a small amount of oil so it can't afford to lose much and still keep everything lubricated.

More detailed information might help. The fact that BRP is doing this much would indicate they feel some culpability in the failure. But I suppose they could just be magnanimous, in this case.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

One year warranty on the Ryker models, Mike.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    One year warranty on the Ryker models, Mike.

Sarah
    Thanks ..... and you didn't get a BEST warranty ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks ..... and you didn't get a BEST warranty ???? ..... Mike
    I did, but it may be that the OP didn't. Hope they come back with an update.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Weren't there some reports here or on some other board that some Ryker's had been shipped without oil/grease in the gearcase?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-02-2023 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Sp clarity... ;-)
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Apparently Rykers only came with a one-year warranty.

OK, update everyone.
    They put a new transmission in; turns out, it wasn't the problem. They cleaned my air intakes and put on a factory exhaust.

They said the issue was my fault for having modded parts. OK, so tomorrow I go to pick it up. They haven't said if they are charging me or if Can Am is going to cover it. A week ago, I called Can Am, who agreed to cover a new transmission. I called them and asked if they were covering labor also? The guy just said it just says it's covered. So anyway, what should I do if they go and try and charge me for a bunch of labor hours for a transmission I didn't need?

You would think they would check my cold air intakes and my exhaust first. They said it was running lean before saying "oh, it must be the transmission"...

So do I wait and see how much it is and just pay it? If it's a lot, do I call Can Am and contest the work? It's like a new transmission is the last resort, one would think...

I believe Can Am agreed to it in order to find out the issue. BTW, my modded parts have never caused these issues before. All I have is cold air intakes and a new exhaust...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-07-2023 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Why 3 posts??

Spyder Garage

The guy said it was covered so you may just have to go and see. If you're hit with a bill that seems unreasonable leave the bike and call Can Am. Come back and let us know.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Will do

Spyder Garage

What kind of mods did you have on it?

Spyder Garage

Cold air intakes and exhaust
    Going in tomorrow will update everyone

Spyder Garage

Like Ron said this whole thing don't make a bit of sense, you have a set of clutches and a gear box that transfers that to the wheels, no tranny! Now the popping your hearing, yes could be from your mods, that have been installed and the bike is not tuned for the mods and probably needs some sort of fuel management system on there to make it right. Good luck anyway it plays out!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

OK I got one big update

Went to service they covered everything yay!

Bad news

We drove it 15 miles on the highway home. The check engine light came on and the battery light

Got into the drive way we turned it off and it didn't start back up.
    Called service they said to jump start it and bring it in. We did. Got a mile down the road and the brake lights limp mode brr check engine light was blinking. basically the whole dash wa lit up.

We got off called them they still asked we we could drive it like no!!
    We had to jump start it 3 times and push it down the road to get it home. They told us to get it home and they would pick it up in the morning

My gorgeous bike is all messed up now it seems. I'm praying it's just a ultra low battery.
    However when we where jumping it the battery registered at 15 Volts.

I now have a lot of concerns. I assume they will fix it. I don't know if I should call can am or not yet. Wait and see what they do?

Spyder Garage

Exhaust and cold air intake have nothing to do with the transmission. I'm still not clear if we are talking about the drive belt/CVT or the gear reduction box. But either way, your mods have nothing to do with either of these components. Like changing tires to fix a water pump issue.

So far, (unless I'm missing some crucial input) all I can see is virtually no information on what the actual problem is. And a lot of time and money throwing parts at components that can't possibly make any difference. Not a good combination.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-13-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmilitaria View Post
    OK I got one big update

Bad news

We drove it 15 miles on the highway home. The check engine light came on and the battery light

Called service they said to jump start it and bring it in. We did. Got a mile down the road and the brake lights limp mode brr check engine light was blinking. basically the whole dash wa lit up.

We had to jump start it 3 times and push it down the road to get it home. They told us to get it home and they would pick it up in the morning

My gorgeous bike is all messed up now it seems. I'm praying it's just a ultra low battery.

I now have a lot of concerns. I assume they will fix it. I don't know if I should call can am or not yet. Wait and see what they do?
    IMHO ....Dealer Incompetence ...........Good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes I am thinking the same thing. We'll I guess the dealer better fix my ryker now. I'll keep everyone updates yes a lot doesn't make sense. The dealership is brp certified and sells a ton of can am

Spyder Garage

Yes I agree I have no idea what they are doing but now they have really messed up my bike they seem to think the problem now is just a low battery when I was on the phone, guess we will find out. Should I call can am and report the issue?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-17-2023 at 07:17 AM. Reason: batter .... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelmilitaria View Post
    OK I got one big update

Bad news

This seems more like a Hot Mess than an Update.

Spyder Garage

They said it needed a new battery and relay. I go and pick it up next week. Prayers that it works.