Spyder Garage

Default Trying to find 2008 GS SE5 Shifter part number - help?

Hi all! I am trying to find the part number for my Spyder's shifter switch. I finally found the assembly/part drawing, but I am not sure about part numbers. It looks like there are 2 assemblies for the SE5, they are both the same price, but they look different in the pictures. The part numbers are #515176197, and #515176198. Can someone tell me which part(s) I need for my 2008 SE5?
    Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by msgoodwrench; 08-31-2023 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2008 GS SE5 , silver/black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the left handlebar, there are two separate switch assemblies. The outer part of the switch assembly (6197) is common to both the SE and SM transmissions, and the inner one (6198) - the one that says SE5, is just for the SE5. 6197 is common. 6198 contains the SE5 switch. See pics. And and I don't think they are the same price. But, I hope you have good luck finding one that is actually in stock and not just being backordered. Although, there might be a source on eBay. These things are kinda tricky to diagnose, and looking back over your previous posts, I see where you were once looking for just the paddle part of the switch. I thought that the Etsy product was good. Is this a new problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-31-2023 at 07:00 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your reply! I am looking for #3 in your pics. So the part #'s I found were on the Electrical Accessories, Steering SA parts page. Yes, I replaced the paddle part of the shifter about a year ago I think, because I broke it by a stupid mistake. Seemed to work well.

Now last month this problem started that the 'check engine' light comes on. I ran a code check and got PO826 - shifter. Doing some reading led me to believe that it isn't all that uncommon a problem. I'm just trying to pull some data together and check things out that would help, like checking connectors and wiring. But I wanted to see about sourcing a switch if I would need to go that route.

Ok, I just scrutinized that parts layout again, you are right, it shows the 2 different switches; I believe it is the multi switch, and then the shifter switch. They are listed each as $194. But I thank you for pointing that out! I don't know how long I poured over that picture and parts list trying to figure out why there were 2, and they were both for the SE5. I wasn't zoomed in close enough. When I did a search for parts, I picked the right one that I needed, so the correct pictures came up.

So, now I know what to look for if I need to go that way. Do you have any other suggestions as to what I might check out besides checking connections? It has been shifting without problem, even when that light comes on, but it makes me nervous. It went away for a few days, but now it has come on again. Strangely, both times it came on was right after I left the gas station after fueling up. But the last 2 days it came on before I even left the garage, so I didn't ride it, out of caution. I don't need to get stranded half-way to work or back.

Thank you again for your very helpful insights.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-31-2023 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & added spacing ;-)
    2008 GS SE5 , silver/black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, the manual isn't a whole lot of help on that. Just says "switch out of range". But it's still working. You could follow that wire harness out to the end and check for a rub through. Disconnect the connector, spray it with electrical cleaner and plug it back in, if it's readily accessible. That might save you 200 bucks. If it was me, I don't know if I would bother trying to take the whole switch assembly apart or just replace it. If you run that part number on Google, a lot of the places say out of stock or special order item from the factory. So, you know that might be a long shot. There does seem to be a place on eBay that claims to have one left and a couple of used ones on there, too. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17537734514...3ABFBMmrD6iMpi

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238