Spyder Garage

Default Oil light stays on after change - is there a High Level switch? What else?

I just changed the oil on my 2010 manual transmission 998 spyder. I took it for a run afterwards and the oil light stayed on. I checked the level and it was at full/a hair above. My question is there a high level switch to detect over filling or is there something else at play? I did not get a engine light/pressure fault code come up (which I have seen in the past)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2023 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jonbaker View Post
    I just changed the oil on my 2010 manual transmission 998 spyder. I took it for a run afterwards and the oil light stayed on. I checked the level and it was at full/a hair above. My question is there a high level switch to detect over filling or is there something else at play? I did not get a engine light/pressure fault code come up (which I have seen in the past)
    " high level switch " ..... not that I've heard of, if there was lots of folks might not be riding around with over 2 Qts. in excess oil ..... Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jonbaker View Post
    The things is, that there is no oil LEVEL switch. That light is strictly regarding LOW OIL PRESSURE. Yes, I would have expected code P0524 for an actual low pressure condition. But, putting that on the back burner for now, you'll need to troubleshoot if this is an actual low oil pressure condition or an oil pressure switch failure, or during the course of doing this work a wire connector was removed or damaged.

Because this has happened right after an oil change, that maintenance item would be a first place to look. Pull the oil filter and check for proper oil filter installation - was it put in backwards - the oil filter on the 998 has a front and back to it (the hole with the rubber gasket around it goes towards the engine) - check to see if maybe a piece of paper towel was left inside the housing or damage to the filter on installation - providing the correct filter was used. There are probably a host of other ideas as well. But bottom line - there is no oil LEVEL switch. Check the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-30-2023 at 06:35 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238