Spyder Garage

Default Your thoughts on F3 maintenance, costs, and reliability vs Ryker?

I currently own a 2019 Ryker Rally and while I have had no issues with the machine and love riding it - I am thinking about trading it in for an F3 Limited. I absolutely love the Ryker on the back roads but not so much on highways, though it will do highways. And my wife rides with me often. She says she is perfectly comfortable on the Ryker, but I would like a more comfortable ride for longer distances and more luggage space.

My budget does not include new models but used - I have found a 2019 F3 Limited with around 15,000 miles on it - the same amount as my Ryker.

The price jump is big, and I am wondering if I would be jumping into a machine with more expensive repairs or maintenance issues. The Ryker has been trouble-free and has low maintenance costs.

Just wondering - any thoughts on F3 maintenance costs, repairs, longevity - I plan on keeping my next bike as long as possible.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2023 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

It is much less expensive if you can do your own maintenance. Of course with the understanding that every individual machine is exactly that. Generally speaking, the F3 is very reliable. 15k is nothing at all if it has been reasonably maintained. I love the F3. It's my favorite ride. So I am biased.

15K puts you at a rear tire (if not already changed) and an oil service (if the 3,000 initial service was done at that time + the 9,300 2nd change puts you some over but still in the ballpark, so definitely check on that) If you like it, I'd say go for it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2023 at 04:48 PM. Reason: ff ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have both and its about the same yearly maintenance. I'm 74 and can't bring myself to just own one!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I sold my 2019 ryker rally a few months ago for almost the same reasons as you. I loved it on the back roads but hated it on the highway. I also never loved the cvt transmission. I only rarely rode two up but when I did, my wife never found it comfortable very long.

I currently am about to close on a 2017 f3 base sm6…

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is a CVT part on the Ryker that requires replacing every 12500 miles and it's not cheap. ..... maybe someone will name the part ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    There is a CVT part on the Ryker that requires replacing every 12500 miles and it's not cheap. ..... maybe someone will name the part ..... Mike
    Would you be referring to the CVT Drive Belt? Replacement @ 12k miles at a part cost of $370.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    Would you be referring to the CVT Drive Belt? Replacement @ 12k miles at a part cost of $370.
    I am guessing that is the part. That is one of the things that has kept me away from the ryker. That and the fact that i am 260 pounds. After buying my 2021 RTL, I miss the hooligan riding that I used to do on my F3T, so I considered a ryker after finding one for $6k. It got away before I could purchase it, so I have started looking at the F3 base model. I found a good deal on a 2017 F3 base and am hoping to close on it next friday. I figure I can ride it for a bit and if I decide to get rid of it, I can make someone a great deal and still get my money back.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

YES ......thanks ......Mike

Spyder Garage

I had already replaced the CVT belt on the Ryker. Im assuming the Spyders need to have the drive belt replaced at certain intervals as well?
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by snayl135 View Post
    I had already replaced the CVT belt on the Ryker. Im assuming the Spyders need to have the drive belt replaced at certain intervals as well?
    Looking in the F3 manual it states only Inspecting and Adjusting Drive belt @ 1 year or 9300 miles. No need to replace unless damaged or wore out.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by snayl135 View Post
    I had already replaced the CVT belt on the Ryker. I'm assuming the Spyders need to have the drive belt replaced at certain intervals as well?
    Yeah, possibly..... But apart from a few belts that suffered premature wear due to poor treatment; and a few more that've been unlucky enough to score some damage along the way (and I DO mean 'a few'!! ) then not too many Spyder owners have done enough miles on their Spyders yet to work out what HALF of their belt's 'expected life' might be! And you should be aware that there are a growing number of original belts out there still running around on Spyders that've now got close to One Quarter of a MILLION Miles up, and their OE belt's are still looking almost like they're new!

So I wouldn't be wasting too much time, money, &/or effort on planning to replace any Spyder's Drive Belt too soon. In fact, if you find yourself a Spyder that's been reasonably well maintained, looked after, hasn't spent too much time travelling on fresh chip-seal, and that's been ridden with some mechanical sympathy, and you try to continue those practices and only ride about the same miles as most of the Spyder Ryders that we see reporting their mileage here, then I'd reckon that there's a very good chance that if you decide to pass your Spyder on down thru the generations, then even your GrandKids might not need to worry too much about replacing the OE belt in their lifetime!!

Thinking about it, I reckon that while I've seen some Spyders that've done more than 250,000 miles, I've seen significantly more Spyders that've done more than 150,000 miles already that are still going strong on their original belts than I've seen Spyders that've needed to have their original belts replaced....

So IMHO, the OEM Belts on Spyders probably don't really qualify as 'need regular replacement' items in the Spyder's maintenance schedule; and for most owners who don't rack up tens of thousands of miles each year, then their Spyder's belt can probably be considered as something that'll 'last the life of their Spyder'!

Just Sayin'!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, I don't have a Ryker, but remembered some of the discussions that revolved around them ..... I remember back when Spyders first appeared and many, many members were changing out the wheel bearings with every or every- other tire changes. .... This was when Kenda tires were what most owners were still using. JMHO ....Mike

Spyder Garage

I have two F3 Limited's since 2020. Both have only needed oil change maintenance. None have had any mechanical issues. The 19 needed new tires and a new battery at 20K miles and 4 years on the clock.

That has also been my experience with both the 1330's and 998's that I have owned over the years. 7 spyders, 15 years, and now around 200,000 assorted Spyder miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just a note. Ryker OEM CVT belt is about $249.99 and aftermarket DynoJet $185.39. Unknown brands on Amazon are significantly less, if you trust them.
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

I have the same question, hence why I joined this forum (looking to purchase my first trike). I like the barebones simplicity of the Ryker, I want to like it over the Spyder but the storage space is lacking. If I could justify it by the Ryker having less computers/points of failure, or easier to do DIY repairs/maintenance, then those would be pluses for long-term ownership.

Thanks for posting, I have lots of research to do.

Spyder Garage

I had the Ryker 900 for 3 years (bought in first year 2019) and loved it around town but as others have said, on highways it was not so comfortable. I also found on longer rides with friends who have touring bikes, it was quite tiring. Last summer, I traded it on a 2022 F3T and it's been great. It's nowhere near as fun as the Ryker for raw acceleration or that "you are 2" from the ground" feeling (similar to a kart!) but it's wayyyy more comfy, love the storage space (I can ride to work without a backpack - woohoo!) and things like the integrated music system are nice.

Me in my 20s would have kept the Ryker. Me just turned 50, F3T is brilliant.

Spyder Garage

as far as F3 Limited goes, change oil and filter and kick the tires once in awhile is about all needed.