Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I have a Honda XR150L, in addition to my Spyder F3L. The Honda can go places I do not want to take the Spyder. Honda on dirt roads and Spyder on the pavement.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Overall, how did you like the semi auto honda?
    I have a 2021 Honda NC750X DCT and I really like it. We recently bought the RT Limited so my wife could ride along in comfort.
    As woodsman said the shift levers are different on the two bikes. On the RTL the thumb shifter is an upshift and on the Honda it is a down shift. I don't view this as a problem because the DCT is fully automatic making both the upshifts and downshifts. The only time I manually shift the bike is on long uphills where it tries to hold a high gear too long. Thats when I downshift. If you want you can put the bike in full manual and do the shifting yourself.

The thing I find difficult to adjust to is having the horn and turn signal buttons reversed between the two bikes. I have tooted the horn several times on the RTL thinking I am canceling the turn signal. I am sure it will become second nature as I get more miles on the RTL.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 08-31-2023 at 06:00 AM.
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

Great thread……Several years ago, I sold my ‘13 Gold Wing and Hannigan trailer. Sadly I must say because the reliability of that machine was awesome. In fact there is one fella on a GW that frequents Daytona Bike Week, and last time I saw his rig he had 540,000 miles on it. I still have a 400 Ninja that weighs only 350 pounds. It IS 2 wheels and I ride it every once in a while, just to keep the wind in my face. I just recently bought a ‘14 RTL and when it gets back from the mechanic’s I hope to give it some seat time. The important thing for me and wife is that after some health issues I just wasn’t able to handle the large bikes at the walking speeds around the garage/parking spaces. With the Spyder, my wife is looking forward to riding on the back again.

If I find we really like the Spyder, I would like to find a later model (‘20 or above) and get rid of the Ninja.
    Time will tell…

SP

Spyder Garage

Never left----------- Still ride the poor, old, slow V-Max when I can.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Never left----------- Still ride the poor, old, slow V-Max when I can.
    Lew L
    I still get a kick when you mention your V-Max. That was/is a real machine. I had an 83 Venture which was equipped with that V-Max engine. Even on a BIG tourer, it was neither poor, old, or slow.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I still get a kick when you mention your V-Max. That was/is a real machine. I had an 83 Venture which was equipped with that V-Max engine. Even on a BIG tourer, it was neither poor, old, or slow.
    Ya just have to make sure you are pointed in the right direction when the V-Boost hits.....
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

After 40 years on 2 wheels, the last 5 of which on a Goldwing, I decided at 78 that I needed either a lighter bike or 3 wheels. I traded in that Goldwing for a new RT 2 years ago and have never regretted that decision for a moment. I still have my Honda PCX150 scooter which is a real hoot to ride and can do 65 mph if there is no headwind, so that is how I get my 2 wheel fix when I feel the need. At some point I might sell the scooter and pick up a 300 to 500 cc motorcycle just for short fun rides. Switching back and forth from leaning the scooter in curves to steering the Spyder in curves is intuitive. At 80 years old now I suspect that from here on in I am a 3 wheeler, hopefully until I am on the wrong side of the grass.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    . I still have my Honda PCX150 scooter which is a real hoot to ride and can do 65 mph if there is no headwind, so that is how I get my 2 wheel fix when I feel the need. At some point I might sell the scooter and pick up a 300 to 500 cc motorcycle just for short fun rides. Switching back and forth from leaning the scooter in curves to steering the Spyder in curves is intuitive. At 80 years old now I suspect that from here on in I am a 3 wheeler, hopefully until I am on the wrong side of the grass.
    I have been thinking a lot lately of getting one of the new ADV160's to putt around on. I know I could never trust anything heavier again because of my knee's.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Still going back and forth between the Street Glide and the F3T despite hip, knee and now back issues. I'll give up 2 wheels when I just can't hold up a Honda Shadow... but 2-up we're always on the F3T for the wife's sake.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Overall, how did you like the semi auto honda?
    Overall, I loved it. Truly loved it.

The fact that I could override gear choices with the paddle shifter gave me most of the control I was used to. It took me a little re-learning to master slow speed maneuvers without a clutch to slip (the answer, of course, is to rely on the rear brake), but that was about it. From there on, I just rode the thing and loved it.

I'd give a lot to try one of Honda's more recent-generation DCT trannies, which are more sophisticated than what I had. Bet they're fantastic.

But I sold the Honda last year. Half broke my heart, but the truth is I was riding the F3-S way, WAAY more.
    2016 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

I still ride my Indian RoadMaster (1800cc) but have been considering downsizing. My wife doesn't ride on it anymore (prefers the RTL) so I always ride the RM solo. Big beautiful bike but can be a handful at times. I visited a Moto Guzzi dealer last week and they offered a great trade-in on a new Moto Guzzi V7 Special. That machine is pretty well a naked bike so I'm considering making the change for a completely different experience. I figure the MG will be a great bike for hanging out with my 2 wheeler friends and we would continue to use the RTL for travelling with the missus. I figure getting a bike that's a bit more manageable will help extend my time on 2 wheels. Great thread BTW.
    Cheers
    Kevin
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

I still have a few beemers in the stable along side the Spyder. We initially got the Spyder for my wife but quickly found out she is not strong enough to drive for very long. That relegates our two-up rides to the Spyder as I no longer feel stable enough at 69 to have her on the back of two wheelers. I currently prefer my bikes to the Spyder but choose the Spyder if my hips and knees are feeling weak when I get to the stable.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Started riding 15 years ago at 56. Have had seven 2-wheel bikes interspersed with 3 Spyders in that time.

The combination of being 70+ yo now and recently moving to a major urban centre got me onto my 3rd Spyder, an RTL, and there’s no going back. Safety, comfort, visibility, and because my wife will only ride with me on the Spyder all mean I’ll be ryding for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by RodO; 09-11-2023 at 08:45 PM.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>