Spyder Garage

Default What's needed to Install a Zumo 590 on a 2022 RT Ltd?

Hello. I've been away since 2018. I sold my Spyder after my wife was in a car accident that messed up her neck and she couldn't ride with me anymore.

I'm asking for a friend who I ride with that has a 2022 RT Limited. He traded his 2018 Limited back in November for the 2022. He kept his Zumo 590, but not the mounting hardware (it was mounted in the center of the handlebar on that 4-screw bracket). He has a cell phone but doesn't text or get on the internet, he hasn't used the built-in navigation for that reason. He wants to reuse the 590. I'm trying to help him with what is needed (& hopefully save him some money in the meantime).

I spoke with Lamonster Garage this morning and the woman recommended their bracket LG1023-1054.
    Link: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...unt-lamonster/.
    She said they don't sell the power cables for it though.

Garmin has discontinued the 590 on their website, but you can still view/buy available accessories. This what I had on my Spyder with my 590, and what I believe my friend has on his: zūmoŽ Motorcycle Mount PART NUMBER010-12110-00
    Link: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/148672/pn/010-12110-00

Does this seem like everything he needs? If so, my last question would be where can the GPS power cable be hooked into on his Spyder?

Any and all help would be appreciated. I'm going to try to do this myself for him, unless there is more involved, and the power connecting is beyond my ability.

Thanks
    Don
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2015 RTSS Limited, red/white, Lamonster NVB highway bars, Ultimate midrider seat with backrest, Show Chrome passenger armrests .................................................. .....

Spyder Garage

The Lamonster mount is one of many ways to attach the 590 base mount to the RT. You can also go with RAM hardware to raise the view higher.
    The RT has a 'GPS Power' connector inside the right side (black, shiny) panel. It's stored in a dummy socket. That 12v source is switched (key-on) power. Note a few of the RTs were wired in reverse - check polarity).

The 590/595 mount wire bundle is FAT! If you are so inclined, you can strip out the power (& speaker) wires and cut off the USB junk to make a cleaner installation.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I just installed the 590 on my 2022 RTL. I used the Lamonster GPS and the Garmin GPS mount as you show. I left the wire bundle intact. I zip tied it and it fits neatly next to the right lower speaker. I left the USB plug loose and fed it up near the handlebars to use for my cell phone. I left the audio cable accessible so I can use it to connect to a small speaker so I can hear the directions. I prefer to not hear everything through my cardo packtalk bold.
    I tapped into power on the right side of the trike. There was supposed to be a plug for power but there was none on my trike so I spliced into the wiring labeled power. The 590 turns on when trike with ignition.
    I will post some pictures later of all but the spliced wires, I do not want to remove the panels. Lamonster has a video on the power connection, the only difference is the 2020 he used had the plug for power.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

Here are the pictures. The final install, the small speaker attached to the audio out cable, and the speaker with the Spyder's speaker cover in place. I hope to find a more powerful speaker or perhaps someone knows how to connect it to the Spyder's audio system. You need a speaker with a 3.5mm plug to plug it into the Garmin audio out.

20230829_104334.jpg

20230829_104620.jpg

20230829_104648.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2023 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Since you saved your wire bundle, you can plug the 595 audio out to the RT Aux input. Only issue is you have to set radio source to Aux and lose the radio.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

OT but post #3 above mentioned the 2020+ RT has a hidden key on power plug. Can any one take a pic and post up, please? Descriptions of what needs removing would help too. I have a 2023 S2S and want to install a GPS or camera powered from that plug......

Thanks, WRCLVR !!
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    OT but post #3 above mentioned the 2020+ RT has a hidden key on power plug. Can any one take a pic and post up, please? Descriptions of what needs removing would help too. I have a 2023 S2S and want to install a GPS or camera powered from that plug......

Thanks, WRCLVR !!
    The GPS power (Key-on 12v) is behind the right gloss black panel. Lift the front seat and pull the panel out from the lower rear. That exposes the brake fluid res & oil fill cap. Look for a 2-wire line that is plugged into a DUMMY connector on the inner wall.

(Sorry, can't take a pic at this time.)

Spyder Garage

RayBJ
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Since you saved your wire bundle, you can plug the 595 audio out to the RT Aux input. Only issue is you have to set radio source to Aux and lose the radio.
    and
    The GPS power (Key-on 12v) is behind the right gloss black panel. Lift the front seat and pull the panel out from the lower rear. That exposes the brake fluid res & oil fill cap. Look for a 2-wire line that is plugged into a DUMMY connector on the inner wall.

First, Good idea using the AUX and I could snake the connecting plug through the glove box, so wiring our of sight. Ah, if only I want to listen to music through my packtalk bold.
    Second, on my 2022 RTL, I had the panels removed and did not see/have the GPS power line, so I spliced into the line labled power.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post

Thanks, WRCLVR !!
    As I stated I did not see/have the GPS power plug (RayBJ post 7) I removed all panels as Lamonster did in his video (https://youtu.be/SFt9541xWMM) but there was no line or plug, the hole to store the line is there but no GPS line. I spliced into the line labled power and my GPS comes on when trike is turned on. It was an easy install took me about an hour or so.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. My friend decided to make an appointment at Lamonster. He's going down next month.
    Don
    2015 RTSS Limited, red/white, Lamonster NVB highway bars, Ultimate midrider seat with backrest, Show Chrome passenger armrests .................................................. .....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dwade View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My friend decided to make an appointment at Lamonster. He's going down next month.
    Don
    Best solution. The older I get, I find the tool I use most is my checkbook.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey