Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing Belt Guard touching the tire - is this normal?

I purchased the missing belt guard for my 2021 Spyder RT Limited. I had put one on my 2019 RT and don't remember having any problem. This one I put on three different times just like the instructions said but it touched the tire each time. I took it off and trimmed it little. I have it on now but there is not much clearance from the tire. There is probably only 1/16 of an inch. Is this normal, it is closer to the tire than the belt? I have put about 400 miles on it with no problem.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2023 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're correct. The guard should not touch the belt or the tire. A miss is as good as a mile but a 1/16" is a bit spooky. You don't mention which guard you installed and if your tire and belt adjustments were spot on or could be adjusted to provide a little more room. My guard is very close too but I'm looking at at least 1/2''. My first guard was plastic and didn't fit well at all. I trimmed and adjusted it until I was blue in the face and then tossed it and went with the aluminum guard which was much easier to fit and worked well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You're correct. The guard should not touch the belt or the tire. A miss is as good as a mile but a 1/16" is a bit spooky. You don't mention which guard you installed and if your tire and belt adjustments were spot on or could be adjusted to provide a little more room. My guard is very close too but I'm looking at at least 1/2''. My first guard was plastic and didn't fit well at all. I trimmed and adjusted it until I was blue in the face and then tossed it and went with the aluminum guard which was much easier to fit and worked well.
    Yes, my tire and belt are all lined good. I have the aluminum guard. I think it would be worst if it was near the belt.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should be good just keep an eye on it. I was able to bend my guard enough to split the difference between the tire and belt and you are right, there's not a heck of a lot of room in there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You should be good just keep an eye on it. I was able to bend my guard enough to split the difference between the tire and belt and you are right, there's not a heck of a lot of room in there.
    I measured it and it is at least 1/8 of an inch from the tire.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS