Thread: The "Snake"

Spyder Garage

Default The "Snake"

Yesterday I decided to go for longer ride, so I did 130 miles of the mountain twisty's. I pushed the F3 a bit hard, and today I'm actually sore from the workout. Riding these Spyders hard is very physical. Today I think I'll just clean her up. I seen at least 6 spyders yesterday. Mostly near Grandfather mountain in NC.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the report. I had heard from a few friends with Gold Wing trikes that they used a lot of upper body muscles for riding.

After seeing the photograph in your signature, I looked up the “Snake” last night and did some research. I had not heard of the Snake before. The Dragon of course, the Rattler too are familiar, but I didn’t know about the Snake. Thanks for provoking my interest. Now that is on my list of rides to make.

SP

Spyder Garage

I usually just ride the section between Bristol TN to the country store, but yesterday I did the whole thing. The section between Shady Valley and Mountain City TN is my favorite part. Then you head towards Banner Elk NC; then Roan Mountain TN; down Hwy 19E towards Elizabethton TN; and eventually Johnson City TN and/or Bristol TN. I'm blessed I have this in my backyard basically. I usually ride it at least once a week. Being retired is nice since I can go during the week and stay out of the way of the Squids. It is quite a spectacle watching all the sport-bikes going fast. Lots of people set up lawn chairs on the turnouts to watch them. There's even a photographer that takes pictures on a particular turn, and then puts them on his web page for sale.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2023 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Caps

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderpilot View Post
    Thanks for the report. I had heard from a few friends with Gold Wing trikes that they used a lot of upper body muscles for riding.

After seeing the photograph in your signature, I looked up the “Snake” last night and did some research. I had not heard of the Snake before. The Dragon of course, the Rattler too are familiar, but I didn’t know about the Snake. Thanks for provoking my interest. Now that is on my list of rides to make.

SP
    Look up " the southern dozen" for awesome rides here in East Tn.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, if you want to push the Spyder on the turns, it takes a little effort. I'll be sweating in the hot summer ride on Tail of Dragon after that 11 miles of PUSHING IT!!! Otherwise, on a hot summer ride might be HOT, just not sweating
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

When is the best time of the year to go to the southern dozen? I usally plan trips toward the middle or end of June?

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

The "twisties" can be a lot of fun. I did similar the other day, and felt like I had a real workout.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am one of those odd people that actually feel more relaxed and enjoy riding my spyder than my 2 wheeler in the twisties. I have good upper body strength, but when riding the 2 wheeler, it tends to take more core strength. But that is just me. Yep, I rode the Snake on the way home from Grundy, Va by taking the long way, throught Boone (back in June). Then in August the wife and I did this on the mustang during a 5 day trip. We also did the Back of the Dragon both times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I just booked my yearly bike trip to do the Southern Dozen. I booked June 20 to 26, 2024.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

A couple of weeks ago the wife and I went on a road trip. I took one of my favorite roads in Northern Ca. Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna. I have ridden this road many times on 2 wheels and its a blast. I am still a fairly new Spyder owner (1 year this month). I also should mention that I like to ride very spirited. This stretch taught me how much upper body you use with these things. But I still had a blast...
    20230907_125937.jpg
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    A couple of weeks ago the wife and I went on a road trip. I took one of my favorite roads in Northern Ca. Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna. I have ridden this road many times on 2 wheels and its a blast. I am still a fairly new Spyder owner (1 year this month). I also should mention that I like to ride very spirited. This stretch taught me how much upper body you use with these things. But I still had a blast...
    20230907_125937.jpg
    I'm from Eureka living in TN now, but hwy 36 was my track for years. My Brother lives in Fortuna and he rides 36 every week. Did you stop to eat at the Burger Bar in Mad River? Our homestead is 2 miles up 36 from Mad River. I always thought that 36 was the epitome of a good mountain road. He's been out here this past week, on a BMW GS 1200 That I rented for him, and we rode the Snake twice (my home track), and he wishes he had such a road in Cali. He really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Dasmoetorhead; 09-23-2023 at 01:13 PM.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    Did you stop to eat at the Burger Bar in Mad River?
    No, we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Fortuna. The Eel River Brewery is right across the parking area from the hotel. I found this place years ago the first time I rode Hwy 36. Now every time we are that far north we stay there and that's the go to place for dinner.
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
    No, we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Fortuna. The Eel River Brewery is right across the parking area from the hotel. I found this place years ago the first time I rode Hwy 36. Now every time we are that far north we stay there and that's the go to place for dinner.
    It's a good place. Try the Lost coast Brewery in Eureka.

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

I ride the TN Portion of "the Snake" weekly. In fact, the 2nd day I owned the F3S I took it up the snake.
    On Tuesday after riding the Snake for probably 10 times, I really scorched it. I'm very comfortable on it and the Spyder now. My Brother, who is a sport bike guy, was barely keeping up with me on the BMW GS 1200R, so I think I have pushed the F3 as far as I want to. It's one heck of a workout, and I think that's as fast as I will ever go. I proved to myself that I can hang with the 2 wheelers now. My F3S performance wise just has the Lamonster end links. Stock swaybar, no cat delete, no pedal box, and no tune. I have no plans on changing anything on it. I actually like the stock exhaust sound. I was planning on adding all that stuff after reading on this forum about all of it. Glad I didn't waste my money. I pushed it so hard I had the back tire sliding and lifted a wheel on one corner. Just a tap in the brake pedal, and she settled down.
    From now on in I will ride more conservatively and enjoy the twisties at a slower, more enjoyable pace. The Spyder in my opinion is just fine in its stock form, if you're willing to hang on. This is just my opinion, YMMV. Morale of the story is, before going out and spending lots of money on these after-market goodies, try pushing yourself and the bike.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2023 at 09:31 AM. Reason: wirh; + ... ;-)

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen

Spyder Garage

I ride the TN Portion of "the Snake" weekly. In fact, the 2nd day I owned the F3S I took it up the snake.
    On Tuesday after riding the Snake for probably 10 times, I really scorched it. I'm very comfortable on it and the Spyder now. My Brother, who is a sport bike guy, was barely keeping up with me on the BMW GS 1200R, so I think I have pushed the F3 as far as I want to. It's one heck of a workout, and I think that's as fast as I will ever go. I proved to myself that I can hang with the 2 wheelers now. My F3S performance wise just has the Lamonster end links. Stock swaybar, no cat delete, no pedal box, and no tune. I have no plans on changing anything on it. I actually like the stock exhaust sound. I was planning on adding all that stuff after reading on this forum about all of it. Glad I didn't waste my money. I pushed it so hard I had the back tire sliding and lifted a wheel on one corner. Just a tap in the brake pedal, and she settled down.
    From now on in I will ride more conservatively and enjoy the twisties at a slower, more enjoyable pace. The Spyder in my opinion is just fine in its stock form, if you're willing to hang on. This is just my opinion, YMMV. Morale of the story is, before going out and spending lots of money on these after-market goodies, try pushing yourself and the bike.
    I agree with you as far as stock performance with one exception.... I upgraded the sway bar with BajaRons swaybar after almost 2yrs of riding... The twisties seem to be less of a work-out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2023 at 05:42 AM. Reason: seams... ;-)
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree 100% I rode my 2014 RT and my 2016 F3T for over 45k miles before finally upgrading the sway bar. But before that, I ran away from many people that had better sway bars, shocks, power commanders, etc. Although the sway bar did help, I still like the pedal commander as my number one add on. It helps giving you more response for coming out of the curves. It will take a little getting used to, as it will shock you with the difference. But if I had only one add, that would be the one. Going to the spyder rally in 10 days on my 2021 RTL. It has the pedal box as it's only add on. And after riding aggressively with my 2 wheeled buddies in June, that is all I need. Now sway bar needed.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Until another Spyder passes me on the twisties, I'm staying with the stock bar. I do like the Lamonster billet end links compared to the original plastic/resin ones. Just makes sense. I looked at BajaRon's end links, but they didn't look as stout as the lamonsters.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2023 at 11:43 PM. Reason: since ... ;-)

Shad bags
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen