Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default '22 RT glove box USB won't charge iPhone as GPS - any work around?

Noticing the usb plug in front glove box isn’t enough to keep up with iPhone when using as gps. Any work around?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Add a USB port to the handlebars with a high enough amperage to feed the iphone.
    Check with the vendors here for products.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I added a marine grade dual usb $10 the blank near heated seat on off switch. Order from Amazon.

Discussed a few times before … here is a recent thread.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...usb+power+port
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2023 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does charge. Need to use an approved cable. Make sure the port in the phone is clean. Shut the phone off once in a while to refresh it.

IMG_1862.jpg

https://youtu.be/V3NWwgARuwc?si=7eGsiBsA90oS5_wp
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 08-27-2023 at 10:44 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    It does charge. Need to use an approved cable. Make sure the port in the phone is clean. Shut the phone off once in a while to refresh it.

IMG_1862.jpg

https://youtu.be/V3NWwgARuwc?si=7eGsiBsA90oS5_wp
    The last time we waltzed down this path, the problem was that the front USB socket did indeed provide current, but not enough to keep the IPhone charged. That is, a net loss all the time the phone was on. I second the idea of installing a separate USB charger jack.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    The last time we waltzed down this path, the problem was that the front USB socket did indeed provide current, but not enough to keep the IPhone charged. That is, a net loss all the time the phone was on. I second the idea of installing a separate USB charger jack.
    Sorry. But my video shows my phone at 19% and after only 26 miles the battery was up to 30%. 5v is plenty to charge an up to date phone.

I find it hard to believe another USB outlet will do any better as they only put out 5v. So adding an extra port is a waste.

“As the cigarette lighter/accessory port provides a nominal 12 volt output, the car USB charger converts this voltage to the 5 volts required for the USB supply”. https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...20USB%20supply.

Now if you have a phone that is older than 2 years then the OS is causing the battery to not work as good. In a way they want to force you to buy a newer phone. As far as I’m concerned the USB works fine because I don’t continue to use old tech as I don’t expect it to handle new stuff very well.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 08-27-2023 at 04:48 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry. But my video shows my phone at 19% and after only 26 miles the battery was up to 30%. 5v is plenty to charge an up to date phone.

I find it hard to believe another USB outlet will do any better as they only put out 5v. So adding an extra port is a waste.

“As the cigarette lighter/accessory port provides a nominal 12 volt output, the car USB charger converts this voltage to the 5 volts required for the USB supply”. https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...20USB%20supply.

Now if you have a phone that is older than 2 years then the OS is causing the battery to not work as good. In a way they want to force you to buy a newer phone. As far as I’m concerned the USB works fine because I don’t continue to use old tech as I don’t expect it to handle new stuff very well.
    The voltage has nothing to do with the charge rate per se. Well unless it is a fast charger charging at 9.6 , 12 or 15 volts, but that is for another discussion. The amperage is what is important. A PC's usb port charges at 5 volts but only .5 amps. That won't keep up with any modern phone. A decent charger will charge at at least 2 amps and that is about right for charging a phone while using gps. My glove box usb charges my Samsung S22 Ultra just fine while is use. The problem is iPhones seriously curtail the amps allowed when the phone gets hot. This has been discussed here, and all over many times. It is a problem for iPhones specifically. Android phones don't suffer this same fate. I have not tested my Spyder specifically, but I believe they output 2 amps. 5 volts x 2 amps = 10 watts and that is enough to keep up with any modern phone.

Anyway back on topic. Showing 5 volt charging on your little box means exactly nothing Flamewinger. All usb chargers charge at 5 volts (not counting my example above).

Brentc you can add an auxiliary usb port as others have suggested. But unless your iPhone is hot (or there is a problem with your Spyder's data connection cable) you should not need it.
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 12-12-2023 at 06:33 PM.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The OS also affects how the phone charges as well as how fast. Phones (if you do a little research) need only 5v to charge and it’s how your phone is set up and/or how old it is. Phone manufacturers can control how your phone charges as they want you to buy new. If you don’t know by now, check it out and learn about it.

“For most mobile devices, the voltage to recharge the battery is typically five volts of direct current, shown as 5V DC. It's critical to match the voltage of a power supply or charger to the device you're charging. If the device specifications read “5V DC,” then 5V DC must be applied to the product.”

https://www.lockncharge.com/blog/ind...0the%20product.

Do some research: here’s one. https://youtube.com/shorts/W9_NAXd6V...ByZNXprf0t8GOK
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 09-01-2023 at 12:09 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry Flamewinger but FrogmanDave is correct.
    2021 Dark Red RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I have an iPhone 13 Max Pro and have never had a problem with it charging while connected in the glove box and running BRP Go. This evening, when I plugged the phone in to the usb in the glove box, it was at 70%. I went for a 45 mile ride with apps running and when I got home the phone was at 100%.

I use 1 ft cable that is both charging and data transmission.
    2022 Spyder RT Petrol Metallic Blue.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depending on how old the phone is and the OS the USB’s 5v is plenty enough to charge any phone.

Any vehicle USB will only have 5v and is more than enough to charge most phones. Do a Google search and learn about charging phones.

The 2024 models will have the same USB so better be prepared with an up-to-date charger phone.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2023 at 01:28 PM. Reason: to charge a charge ... ;-)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I added a "docking station" to my 22 RTL. One side has dual USB plugs and the other side has a 12v lighter socket. On long trips, if my phone isn't charging, I just plug into the USB port and solve the problem.
    Scott (slhanks004)
    Gilbert, AZ USA

2022 Spyder RT Limited - Carbon Black
    • Pedal commander
    • Baja Ron sway bar
    • TricLED tail lights
    • TricLED driving lights
    • Corbin seat
    • BRP rider backrest
    • Lamonster topcuff (2) w/ RAM mounts
    • 12v/USB docking station
    • Garmin Zumo XT
    • RLS cat delete pipe
    • IPS highway pegs
    • IPS belt tensioner
    2022 RT-L , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slhanks004 View Post
    I added a "docking station" to my 22 RTL. One side has dual USB plugs and the other side has a 12v lighter socket. On long trips, if my phone isn't charging, I just plug into the USB port and solve the problem.
    The thing is the phone controls how much it takes in. So, whether it's 5v or 12v, the phone won’t take in any more voltage.
    The working principle of the car charger is to convert the 12V voltage of the cigarette lighter socket to 5V USB voltage, and then charge the electronic products through the charging cable.

https://www.bituoelec.com/new/confus...arging%20cable.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2023 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

My issue with my 2022 RT-L S2S was the phone would charge; but when using it for a GPS, it would not keep it charged. It's a Garmin GPS. I put the combo USB and the 12-volt Socket Plate on; hooked it into the accessory wire; and that solved the problem. GPS now works fine, and stays charged on trips.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-04-2023 at 07:36 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JDTOLLAND View Post
    My issue with my 2022 RT-L S2S was the phone would charge; but when using it for a GPS, it would not keep it charged. It's a Garmin GPS. I put the combo USB and the 12-volt Socket Plate on; hooked it into the accessory wire; and that solved the problem. GPS now works fine, and stays charged on trips.
    You’re supposed to use your phone for GPS. The USB in the glovebox is not for a Garmin. Smartphones have 3 antennas - WiFi, Cell and GPS.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Noticing the usb plug in front glove box isn’t enough to keep up with iPhone when using as gps. Any work around?
    So Brent, no one has asked you the key question that will assist in determining who is on the right track………which model iPhone do you have? I.e. how old is it?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pete, I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then if you keep it up to date it should charge just fine. There shouldn’t be any issues with charging. Try a different cable.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The USB does actually charge and if you do any research you'll find any vehicle has the same 5V USB port for phones.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks Brent…..and your IOS is up to date? If not, try updating. If yes, and you have a good “data” cable, there is something Flamewinger is missing.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks Brent…..and your IOS is up to date? If not, try updating. If yes, and you have a good “data” cable, there is something Flamewinger is missing.

Pete
    Using an approved cable is a given. Shouldn’t use a cheap knockoff.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Using an approved cable is a given. Shouldn’t use a cheap knockoff.
    Sure, but that may be where Brent is going wrong, Flamewinger There is obviously a disconnect somewhere.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Sure, but that may be where Brent is going wrong, Flamewinger There is obviously a disconnect somewhere.

Pete
    By now this should be known by anyone using a smartphone or similar device.

“Using a non-Apple certified USB cable to charge your iPhone can be dangerous and may cause damage to your device. Non-certified cables may be too long, too short, or the wrong type of wire, which can cause the current to be too high or too low, leading to overheating or even fire. In addition, these cables may not be compatible with fast charging, meaning they could take longer to charge your device. To ensure your device is safely and properly charged, it is best to use an Apple-certified Lightning cable.”

Again (as mentioned many times in a lot of posts) - reading the owners manual instead of guessing works best.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 12-07-2023 at 08:45 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the advice everyone. We can close this thread now.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the advice everyone. We can close this thread now.
    I understand, Brent, but it would be good to get to the bottom of this issue if possible, as it pops up regularly. All that is required is to confirm whether you are using an Apple certified lightning cable. If you are, then there is a further “gotcha”, that is preventing charging. If you are not, would it be possible for you to get one to try?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.