Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use this cable and it works just fine.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B082V...b_b_asin_title

I also use a Lightning to USB C adapter for the new iPhone 15. Charges just fine. I’ve tried a different 90° USB C cable and found it doesn’t charge. So I had to experiment to find what works.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-09-2023 at 12:59 AM. Reason: I'm... ;-)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Flamewinger, please……this thread is not about you.

We are trying to get to the bottom of exactly why Brent is having his particular issue as it will help others in future.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Flamewinger, please……this thread is not about you.

We are trying to get to the bottom of exactly why Brent is having his particular issue as it will help others in future.

Pete
    I answered the OP question many times. If it’s not understood, it’s a shame.

It’s frustrating when people complain about not being able to make something work so they blame that something instead of trying to understand it. Technology is constantly changing and improving and if we don’t keep up with it we loose and unfortunately a few find it easier to complain about it rather than trying to understand it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Sometimes, occasionally, it's worth asking what might sound like a silly question. Can I assume the phone's screen and speaker are "off" (and you are using the BRP Connect)? That seems to be most of the drain. If some people are taking about the screen being on, and others not, that is large power drain.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

To everyone who has offered solutions, thank you. On a side note I have been in the information technology arena for the better part of 30+ years and intimately familiar with the iOS, and Apple nuances. I was just inquiring to see if there were any simple things that I may not have known of regarding the charging through the particular port in question that may be Spyder specific. I will diagnose further from my end, and again thank you all if I discover anything of note I will post.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Looking on-line it seems that a regular USB A type connector (looks to be the type on my RTL) can provide 100mA current at 5V (500mW). The manual does not provide any advice. If this is the case, then, if the phone app being used requires more than the available current then the phone's battery will provide the difference i.e. the battery will discharge. This also assumes that the correct charging cables are being used.
    I have not had any trouble with my phone discharging while using BRP Go and Genius maps.
    Kind regards ... Stuart

2022 Spyder RTL
    1952 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet, 1990 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    To everyone who has offered solutions, thank you. On a side note I have been in the information technology arena for the better part of 30+ years and intimately familiar with the iOS, and Apple nuances. I was just inquiring to see if there were any simple things that I may not have known of regarding the charging through the particular port in question that may be Spyder specific. I will diagnose further from my end, and again thank you all if I discover anything of note I will post.
    Brent, you could help significantly here if you were to nominate whether you have been using an Apple approved iPhone cable, and even more if you have not been using an iPhone approved cable but now tried one

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I am not an expert on the matter, but I thought there was a thread stating that the usb connector in the "glove box" could not provide enough current for charging while apps were being used, it was primarily for connection to the device.

We have a fuse-block (showchrome) wired to a dual usb mounted in the "glove box" for charging the iphones, then connecting via BT to our iphone for entertainment, calls etc.

Ken

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    I am not an expert on the matter, but I thought there was a thread stating that the usb connector in the "glove box" could not provide enough current for charging while apps were being used, it was primarily for connection to the device.

We have a fuse-block (showchrome) wired to a dual usb mounted in the "glove box" for charging the iphones, then connecting via BT to our iphone for entertainment, calls etc.

Ken
    That doesn’t make sense, Ken, as the phone needs to run apps like Sygic, FOBO etc to use BRP Go while plugged in to the glove box socket. It would have been given the power to charge at the same time.

Plus, users like Flamewinger, me, and others have no issue with their phones charging while they are running apps, so non charging has to be an “individual” thing. (Cheap cable etc?). That’s why it would be good to get to the bottom of exactly which circumstances prevent a phone from charging.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 12-13-2023 at 02:37 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    That doesn’t make sense, Ken, as the phone needs to run apps like Sygic, FOBO etc to use BRP Go while plugged in to the glove box socket. It would have been given the power to charge at the same time.

Plus, users like Flamewinger, me, and others have no issue with their phones charging while they are running apps, so non charging has to be an “individual” thing. (Cheap cable etc?). That’s why it would be good to get to the bottom of exactly which circumstances prevent a phone from charging.

Pete
    Well, Pete. It may not make sense, but my ‘23 behaves the same way. iPhone 12, Apple cable. When connected to BRP Go using Sygic, for example, the phone screen is dimmed. The USB connection can slightly break even with the phone power needs. Mine would charge about 5% in about 2 hours. I would expect that to vary by phone, and the number of Apps running in the background.

If using the phone as a GPS by itself - which I thought was what Brent was doing - the screen is always on at full brightness. The phone uses way more power than that USB port can provide, and the battery discharges. Maybe the MY 2021 are different, I don’t know. But I don’t think that USB port was ever intended for that type of usage.

Yes, it’s not about the voltage at the USB port, it’s about the wattage available. A 5 watt charger and a 20 watt charger both have the same USB standard voltage. The 20 watt charger can supply more charging energy faster. What is the available power from the Spyder? Don’t know. Can’t do anything about it, anyway.

The video that was posted is misleading, in that the phone was connected to BRP Go, the screen was dimmed until she shutdown, and she stated that the phone was in Low Power Mode when she started the ride. Thus, its power requirements are reduced, mainly but not limited to the cellular radio, processor speeds, and background operations. That would help it to charge faster. An iPhone stays in Low Power Mode until 80% charge.

I agree with Brent. The horse has been pretty well beaten.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-14-2023 at 06:57 AM. Reason: if... ;-)

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I’m happy to stop flogging the horse Doug, but it just bugs me that I (and others) can run my iPhone 14, with all BRP apps running like Sygic, FOBO, Accuweather, Music and have my iPhone fully charged after a ride on my ‘21 RT. Others can’t. I would love to know why.

I’ll stop flogging the horse now, but you know it will be raised again as a question shortly, and since we don’t have an answer, the same vagaries will be trotted out. As an ex IT person who is used to fixing issues at the root cause, that scenario runs against the grain, as it is time wasting of the first order

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I just finished a small test on my 2022 RTL using an Apple approved cable with the glove box USB. The iPhone was at 55% so it was charging and I was running Genius Maps and music. The charging voltage was 5 Volts and the charging current was steady at 900 mA - 4.5 Watts or 450 mW. I guess this power is on the marginal side, however, it seems to be enough to provide enough to charge my iPhone.
    I would have taken a photo of the setup to confirm, but could not move the phone around due to the connection.
    Kind regards ... Stuart

2022 Spyder RTL
    1952 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet, 1990 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet

Spyder Garage

I have an iPhone 14 with an Apple charging cable. When I was using the USB connector in the glove box while using Google maps or WAZE plus Sirius XM radio my phone would slowly discharge. In frustration I purchased a USB/voltage combo on Amazon and connected it directly to my battery. Now my phone stays fully charged at 100% while I am riding.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well, Pete. It may not make sense, but my ‘23 behaves the same way. iPhone 12, Apple cable. When connected to BRP Go using Sygic, for example, the phone screen is dimmed. The USB connection can slightly break even with the phone power needs. Mine would charge about 5% in about 2 hours. I would expect that to vary by phone, and the number of Apps running in the background.

If using the phone as a GPS by itself - which I thought was what Brent was doing - the screen is always on at full brightness. The phone uses way more power than that USB port can provide, and the battery discharges. Maybe the MY 2021 are different, I don’t know. But I don’t think that USB port was ever intended for that type of usage.

Yes, it’s not about the voltage at the USB port, it’s about the wattage available. A 5 watt charger and a 20 watt charger both have the same USB standard voltage. The 20 watt charger can supply more charging energy faster. What is the available power from the Spyder? Don’t know. Can’t do anything about it, anyway.

The video that was posted is misleading, in that the phone was connected to BRP Go, the screen was dimmed until she shutdown, and she stated that the phone was in Low Power Mode when she started the ride. Thus, its power requirements are reduced, mainly but not limited to the cellular radio, processor speeds, and background operations. That would help it to charge faster. An iPhone stays in Low Power Mode until 80% charge.

I agree with Brent. The horse has been pretty well beaten.
    When using the Glovebox USB and BRP Connect, the phone will go dark no matter what all apps you are using. I’ve had both Sygic and Genius running as well as music and FOBO and other apps. The screen stays dark and the phone charges just fine. It’s only when turning the bike off that the app being used in the dash is the app you see when the phone loses power. It’s normal and ANY smartphone integration system works the same. If not using BRP Connect, then the phone will be on and using more power for the screen. Use it the way it’s supposed to be used. Although I did use it with the phone as the screen for Genius and still had no problems changing.

One thing to try and do often is to shut the phone off and wait a few minutes then turn back on. This refreshes the phone and kinda unclogs the memory and system. The phone works better. I do it once or twice a month.

Most likely it’s the phone settings that might be a problem when using it this way. It is a smartphone and learns how it’s used. So it should improve by using it more often.

If you work in IT and can’t get this to work, then the company is going to fire you as this is what IT does. It’s their job to set up devices for use for the employees.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2023 at 04:16 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red