Spyder Garage

Default Headlights on when battery charger is hooked up. Why?

Strange thing going on. I have my spyder up on lift. It was working and started just fine 2 days ago. Installed new airbag. Wanted to test everything before I reinstall shock. Turned spyder on to start and it’s dead. Checked connection real quick all good. Checked volts and it’s dead. Must have left something on to kill it. So hooked up jump start and spyder starts immediately without hesitation. Checked volts yep pulling 14.4 so it’s charging too. Turned machine off and hooked up a charger to charge battery. Headlights turn on, with key out and they won’t go off? Is that normal or do I need to totally disconnect everything to charge? Why would headlights be on while charging? I disconnected and for giggles connected in my tenderizer that I use over winter. Headlights not on but bikes taking a charge. Why are headlights on when charging dead battery? Sort of defeats the purpose.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Now that’s really strange. No tail or running lights are on when charging. I just jump started again and they all come on as normal. Turned off machine. Sits for 30 seconds everything clicks off (dash, headlights, taillights) connect charger and headlights come on again but nothing else. I just disconnected everything and removed battery and starting to charge. Any ideas why headlight come on while charging?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Any add-on lights or electric farkles? are you connecting the charger direct to the battery terminals or have a remote connection point?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have a backfeed you need to find, if everything was ok before the airbag install start there to make sure no connections are crossed or polarity reversed .

If there are any accessories directly connected to the battery I would disconnect those as well as a starting point to start troubleshooting.

Check for any nicks or exposed conductors around the area you were working in.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Any add-on lights or electric farkles? are you connecting the charger direct to the battery terminals or have a remote connection point?
    My first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Sounds like you have a backfeed you need to find, if everything was ok before the airbag install start there to make sure no connections are crossed or polarity reversed .

If there are any accessories directly connected to the battery I would disconnect those as well as a starting point to start troubleshooting.

Check for any nicks or exposed conductors around the area you were working in.
    My 2nd thought. Seems like it would have to be one of these 2. Or possibly a bad ground somewhere. Wiring issues can be a bear to troubleshoot.

Disconnect one wire at a time so that if you cure the issue. You know what cured it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Angry

I walked through the circuit flow again and backfeed would be exceptionally difficult to achieve. Essentially the Lo Beam circuit is Always-On with RFB R2 N-O terminals closing only when commanded by the ECM. So to achieve a backfeed you would have to carefully search out, isolate and connect to the Lo Beam side of RFB R2. Unlikely is applicable here.

WRT ground, Yes if the RFB R2 - Coil connection (nominal Pin 85 in ISO terms) was grounded but then the Lo Beam would be illuminated all the time not just when charging.

I keep returning to something is telling the ECM the engine is running and therefore it commands RFB R2 to close.

I looked at the TAS (two Hall Effect sensors) wiring and the PedalBox installation video. Maybe the service manual explains but I'm thinking the TAS is like the ABS with an encoded tone wheel which has a No-Throttle and a Full-Throttle code. The PB sits between the TAS and ECM and must be trained with No and Full throttle positions while the ignition is On (engine NOT running) which means the PB (1) gets its power soley from the ECM and (2) emulates the Hall Effect sensors. My conclusion is even an improperly installed PB will not cause the ECM to determine the engine is running and therefore command RFB R2 to close.

Which brings us back to ... wiring damage when the Spyder was on the lift.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I walked through the circuit flow again and backfeed would be exceptionally difficult to achieve. Essentially the Lo Beam circuit is Always-On with RFB R2 N-O terminals closing only when commanded by the ECM. So to achieve a backfeed you would have to carefully search out, isolate and connect to the Lo Beam side of RFB R2. Unlikely is applicable here.

WRT ground, Yes if the RFB R2 - Coil connection (nominal Pin 85 in ISO terms) was grounded but then the Lo Beam would be illuminated all the time not just when charging.

I keep returning to something is telling the ECM the engine is running and therefore it commands RFB R2 to close.

I looked at the TAS (two Hall Effect sensors) wiring and the PedalBox installation video. Maybe the service manual explains but I'm thinking the TAS is like the ABS with an encoded tone wheel which has a No-Throttle and a Full-Throttle code. The PB sits between the TAS and ECM and must be trained with No and Full throttle positions while the ignition is On (engine NOT running) which means the PB (1) gets its power soley from the ECM and (2) emulates the Hall Effect sensors. My conclusion is even an improperly installed PB will not cause the ECM to determine the engine is running and therefore command RFB R2 to close.

Which brings us back to ... wiring damage when the Spyder was on the lift.
    I am assuming no codes. Usually, if there is damage to a sensor or wiring harness, that will throw codes. But you can't always trust those as low battery voltage will also cause the ECM to throw random, unrelated codes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: through... ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am assuming no codes. Usually, if there is damage to a sensor or wiring harness, that will throw codes. But you can't always trust those as low battery voltage will also cause the ECM to throw random, unrelated codes.
    There were. Check this thread for the full story. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ase-help/page2

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My first thought.

My 2nd thought. Seems like it would have to be one of these 2. Or possibly a bad ground somewhere. Wiring issues can be a bear to troubleshoot.

Disconnect one wire at a time so that if you cure the issue. You know what cured it.
    Right on Ron! I just finished a two day battle with an electrical issue on a different machine. It was a loose ground attached with a squeeze connector located in an unseeable location. I finally fingered everything rather than just looking and it fell loose without any pressure applied at all. So you never know. It came from the factory that way.

Spyder Garage

Wmoater, what did you remove to get at your airbag to replace it?
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because they are afraid they will be tenderized!!!