Spyder Garage

Default Should I replace just brake pads on my Spyder, or discs too?

So I need new pads in the back. Generally for my cars, when I have the pads replaced, I replace the rotors as well. I feel like it minimizes noise.

For the Spyder, not sure if replacing the rotors are typically necessary as well. So what do you guys recommend? Just pads, or do them and the rotors?

Be aware, I need to replace them, but they are not so far gone that they are metal to metal.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-23-2023 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

70k miles on my 2015 F3S - very aggressive rider. Never felt the need to replace the rotors. Using EBC pads and braking has always been very good. If the Rotors were grooved at all - I'd replace them but staying on top of the pads - the rotors are still smooth and still stopping on a dime when I need it. Just my 2 cents...
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Using Brembo pads will not wear out rotors quick. 600k miles on 2 & 3 wheelers and never replaced rotors. EBC pads are great for scoring and damaging rotors but it would take better than 50k miles to do it. I still have a GL1800 rotor in my garage and some the wing with just over 91k. Rotors were still fine.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 08-23-2023 at 12:50 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As others have said..... NO .... not needed ..... at 150,000 mi I would measure them for thickness .....Mike

Spyder Garage

I know that Slingmods sells rotors. I know that mine are the factory rotors. Are they the same thing? I know my pads are original as well.
    2018 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I know that Slingmods sells rotors. I know that mine are the factory rotors. Are they the same thing? I know my pads are original as well.
    How many miles on the bike? Pads can wear out around 15-30k miles depending on how you ride. If the fluid is low then the pads are pretty worn.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    How many miles on the bike? Pads can wear out around 15-30k miles depending on how you ride. If the fluid is low then the pads are pretty worn.
    I have 32K right now.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Measure for thickness as long as have NOT gone metal to metal & any gouging, should be good. Also no warping. Very well should be good over 100k miles. Course if just want to -keeping OCD happy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I'm sure your rotors are fine. The only stock rotors we've ever had to replace have been due to either metal on metal because the pads were completely gone. Or warpage. I've not yet seen a rotor wear out otherwise. Regardless of which pads are used. Minor wear or scaring from pads are rarely sufficient enough to warrant replacement.

The OEM rotors are softer than they should be. I highly recommend replacing them with EBC or similar if the need does arise. Better quality rotors improve stopping power, plus resist wear and warpage much better than the OEM rotors.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...