Spyder Garage

Default Heated glove question

I want to buy Gerbing heated gloves (G3's). Can I connect them directly to the battery without going into limp mode? The wiring has its own inline fuse. For me, 32 degrees is cold but 31 hurts so I'm just getting ready for those days. I can't wait to try the spyder in the snow.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

I don't think your Spyder will ryde so good in the snow? You'll need a skidoo for that.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frig View Post
    I want to buy Gerbing heated gloves (G3's). Can I connect them directly to the battery without going into limp mode? The wiring has its own inline fuse. For me, 32 degrees is cold but 31 hurts so I'm just getting ready for those days. I can't wait to try the spyder in the snow.
    Yes, you can attach the Gerbing harness either directly to the battery, or to an auxiliary fusebox fed directly from the battery. Nancy's is hooked up directly, and works fine for both gloves and jacket, or for my heated vest.

Clean snow or slush is fun for a few minutes, but a chore after a while, fighting the nanny. The thought of cars sliding into the Spyder isn't too comforting, either. BTW, salt is murder on vehicles!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Scotty. As for the snow, I thought I'd just go around my small development for a mile or so. Just to see what it's like. I would not ride it in traffic for fear of being hit. Another teacher at work lost a leg years ago from being hit by a car so I'm all about trying to stay away from those situations.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yes, you can attach the Gerbing harness either directly to the battery, or to an auxiliary fusebox fed directly from the battery. Nancy's is hooked up directly, and works fine for both gloves and jacket, or for my heated vest.

Clean snow or slush is fun for a few minutes, but a chore after a while, fighting the nanny. The thought of cars sliding into the Spyder isn't too comforting, either. BTW, salt is murder on vehicles!

I hooked my heated jacket directly to the battery. About snow,
    I tried to ride in the snow last winter, Won't try that again, Down hill side ways, Uphill no ways. Wait till the plow's clear the way.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I go directly to the battery and the colder it gets, the more I wear.
    Start with the gloves, then the jacket liner, then the pants and for those days when the temps drop below 10, the socks keep my toes nice and toasty.

Just be careful... you can wreck your battery real quick if you have multiple items. I have a Y splitter that keeps my gloves on full time, then a toggle switch for everything else. Always shutdown/unplug a reasonable distance before you arrive at your destination so as not to shut down with a drained battery. Normally if my RPMs drop below 4k, I shut down the heat until I can get going again. I think our magneto peaks out around 5-6k so that's where I try to stay.

Also, be sure to treat the gloves with NikWax. Not only are they then waterproof but the wax also works to keep the cold out. Don't be shy with it, rub a ton in and let them sit over night... then be sure not to wipe your visor with them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nickcaro View Post
    Also, be sure to treat the gloves with NikWax.
    Hmm...NikWax...sounds like a product endorsement for someone named "Nick"...

Seriously, I will be doing this since I'm sick of my hands freezing...and I've tried several different gloves for cold weather. I know...I should get heated grips and all...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Seriously, I will be doing this since I'm sick of my hands freezing...
    I used to know an old school rider who always preached about keeping your hands warm, to maintain nice blood flow and maintain reaction time to grab the front brake and clutch.

As good as those G3 Gloves are, if you go below 35 and plan to be on the highway, they wont be enough. In those times, I have an XXL pair of GoreTex snowboarding gloves that go on top and them I'm good all the way to -10.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I started with the Gerbings heated jacket on a variable control switch. Turned up justover halfway it has made things very comfortable at 30 degrees and I suspect I can make it into the teens before I regret selling the car. My commute is 8 miles- how cold can you get in 15 minutes? As for snow, I think it will be a challengs and on snow days I will use my wifes car, but the day after I will be back on 3 wheels, probably slipping around, but I'm going to give it a try.

Spyder Garage

We've had Gerbing gear for years. For more than 10 minutes, you will probly want a Heat Troller (www.warm-n-safe.com), electronic/non-rheostat current controller. Ours are mounted to the bike/Spyder, ready to just plug in as needed.

on the snow ryding - not so much the nanny as the large footprint for low weight. Brakes do work well, however, once you get moving.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

http://www.warmnsafe.com is the right web sight take out the hypines

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    I hooked my heated jacket directly to the battery. About snow,
    I tried to ride in the snow last winter, Won't try that again, Down hill side ways, Uphill no ways. Wait till the plow's clear the way.
    How about studed tires?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Put on some Oxford heated grips about 12 months ago. Just great even in 30-32 F. Best part of Spyder in winter is I've never had cold feet or knees riding it as I do on two wheels. A "turtle fur" balaclava that I bought about 10 years ago is probably one of the best bits of winter kit I've purchased.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Spyder Garage

Needed opposite riding gear here today. Last night the minimum was 30 and today max was about 38. However that was not degrees F. It was degrees C. Tad warm and it's still spring here. Not even summer. I guess some Texans and others from down south can relate to being too hot to ride rather than too cold. At least a Spyder doesn't have a side stand than sinks into bitumen on a hot day.
    ɹəpunuʍop ɯoɹɟ oʞɔıp

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dicko View Post
    I guess some Texans and others from down south can relate to being too hot to ride rather than too cold. .
    Im from Alabama so i know what u mean about heat!