Spyder Garage

Question Dropped bolt down steering column hole - is it ferrous? Likely recovery locations?

Welp, I dunnit. Was re-installing my Lamonster handlebar clamp GPS mount on my '23 F3-T and fat-fingered the swivel bolt, dropping it down the hole of the steering column. It clattered around for a second or so on its way down, but failed to emerge from the bottom of the bike. Few questions for anybody able to help:
    1. Anybody know if the swivel bolt on this product is ferrous? https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...unt-lamonster/ I fished around for a while with a magnet on a flexshaft from home depot but came up empty - would be helpful to know if it's aluminum and that's just a waste of time.
    2. Any particularly likely locations? I have a lighted endoscope and poked around the guts a bit but came up empty - still no clue where the thing actually landed.
    3. Yes, I know I should've stuffed rags everywhere before doing anything, and I will definitely do so in the future, but here we are: in the middle of learning a lesson the hard way, so any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2023 F3-T , Petrol Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looking at the L-M pictures I'd say it was ferrous but not in the way you'd want https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

You're going to get to know your Spyder better.

PS happens to all of us. Many of us more than once.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Least is F3 & less panels to remove but it’s still the “Void”. Might get lucky & it landed on the skid plate under panels. The V thing would catch some & some oil getting sticky & nasty. Bit if & when objects made it then sometimes got stuck & sometimes found. Be sure double check above & around belt -really bad if it finds way in there. Bout to get good & personal with naked spyder

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

That units got more than one bolt, try to see if a magnet works on them, I would say they are stainless steel but may be a low grade that mayyyy grab to a magnet lighty, good luck, hope you find it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You might try a mechanic's claw tool. Looks like this;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have a cheap detail vacuum with a 1/2" hose.
    When I do the same thing, I Just put the hose in there, turn it on and fish around.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, those are great suggestions - picked up both the grabber and the vacuum, gonna have a go at it again this evening after work. I've taken off the side panels and dug around inside for a while, but still haven't actually found the thing.

Spyder Garage

I still remember dropping a nut in the void shortly after buying my F3 in ‘16. I couldn’t find it anywhere and bought a new one and forgot about it. A few years later, I was reversing into the garage and a bird flew in, so I braked suddenly. I heard a small “snick”, and found a nut on the floor when I checked. I spent the next week seriously worrying about what the heck it had fallen off, and should I ride? Suddenly, the penny dropped. It was the nut I lost years ago, shaken free by an emergency stop in reverse. Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Update! I found it! Thank heavens for the endoscope - there is zero chance I'd have been able to locate it any other way. And boy howdy, that mother is in there - lodged between two frame components between the air box and the engine. Tried to ram it with the endoscope to dislodge and see if I could drop it within reach, but it didn't budge. Gonna try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone!

Spyder Garage

Final update: finally managed to extract the blasted thing. Had to dislodge the front headlight (and so take off all the front fairings that cover their bolts, which is a lot), run the endoscope up the right side over the engine so I could see what I was doing, and have a buddy hold a vacuum line while I impotently whacked it multiple times with a flexible part grabber (grabber fingers couldn't get around it itself due to how it was wedged in). It was pretty much open heart surgery, Spyder-style. Lesson learned: rags EVERYWHERE the next time I so much as tighten my phone mount. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Spyder Garage

Good work. Rags. Yup. What can possibly go wrong. Worelll....

Ya didn't happen to spot a vagrant 6 point 1/4" drive 10mm socket I spose. Mine seems to have gone AWOL.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by awebneck View Post
    Final update: finally managed to extract the blasted thing. Had to dislodge the front headlight (and so take off all the front fairings that cover their bolts, which is a lot), run the endoscope up the right side over the engine so I could see what I was doing, and have a buddy hold a vacuum line while I impotently whacked it multiple times with a flexible part grabber (grabber fingers couldn't get around it itself due to how it was wedged in). It was pretty much open heart surgery, Spyder-style. Lesson learned: rags EVERYWHERE the next time I so much as tighten my phone mount. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    ....... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd how many hours have you been working on this .20 bolt. ....... Back in the day I used to go to great lengths to retrieve bolts , nuts etc. until I realized was it really worth the time & effort. ..... since then, I no longer do this and have either provented losing them or just put in / on a new one. ..... I'm NOT dissing you about your efforts just giving a different perspective ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd how many hours have you been working on this .20 bolt. ....... Back in the day I used to go to great lengths to retrieve bolts , nuts etc. until I realized was it really worth the time & effort. ..... since then, I no longer do this and have either provented losing them or just put in / on a new one. ..... I'm NOT dissing you about your efforts just giving a different perspective ..... Mike
    Yup, I'm still a relatively new rider, I am not doing this again. Still, feel it's a right of passage and I've earned some kind of badge for the effort, so I'm all-in-all happy with the outcome.

Spyder Garage

That's great that you found and retrieved it. I have worked on a lot of cars, rv's and mc's. This ride eats nuts and bolts and hardly ever spits them out.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by awebneck View Post
    Yup, I'm still a relatively new rider, I am not doing this again. Still, feel it's a right of passage and I've earned some kind of badge for the effort, so I'm all-in-all happy with the outcome.
    I'm glad you were not upset by my post .... the clapping emoji was for your effort ..... I've learned a ton of stuff about Spyders on this forum also ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Glad you found it - for your sanity and sleep! Void? Hmm. On the GoldWing, it is referred to as the "Honda Hole".
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I just dropped the positive bolt off of the battery and no I have not found it, have I looked for it yes with no luck which = no riding the Spyder, so I ended up going to the battery dealer who had a some spares so I am back on the road, where the bolt is I have no idea I just hope it’s not pressing against the rubber radiator pipes.
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
    I just dropped the positive bolt off of the battery and no I have not found it, have I looked for it yes with no luck which = no riding the Spyder, so I ended up going to the battery dealer who had a some spares so I am back on the road, where the bolt is I have no idea I just hope it’s not pressing against the rubber radiator pipes.
    You get new bolts and hose with every battery you buy. Old bolts are usually still in good shape. I put all the extra bolts, nuts, and vent hose for the motorcycles, the mowers, and generators, which all use about the same size batteries, in a jar in my shop. Always have extras in easy reach if I lose one or have to replace one that has corrosion on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver