Spyder Garage

Default A New way of selecting Reverse on the 2024's......

I was just watching a video by Shawn Smoak who was showing one of the new 2024 Can Am's. He pointed out that the Reverse button, usually located on top of the left hand multi function switch was missing. He showed that now to shift into reverse you step on the bake, roll forward on the throttle like you do in the start up for the Ryker, then depress the - paddle button. Pretty neat.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I was just watching a video by Shawn Smoak who was showing one of the new 2024 Can Am's. He pointed out that the Reverse button, usually located on top of the left hand multi function switch was missing. He showed that now to shift into reverse you step on the bake, roll forward on the throttle like you do in the start up for the Ryker, then depress the - paddle button. Pretty neat.
    Ahhhhhhh. Thanks Greg, I was wondering about that……and great to hear Shawn has recovered

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

It strikes me that they took something that was relatively simple and made it needlessly more complicated
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    It strikes me that they took something that was relatively simple and made it needlessly more complicated
    Think about it, it is NO more complicated than the current method... Both press the brake, both press the - shift lever, just instead of reaching across and pressing a button, you roll forward on the throttle... same stuff, different wipe...

I am in no mood for a new ryde, but I for one would love to have my 2015 this way... It is a much quicker way once the brain is retrained and safer if you are in a spot where you need to get it done faster....

On a side note, those LED headlights on the '24's are FUGLY!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2023 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Bypassing 'unacceptable word' filter... :-/

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Concur with hypurone, both ease of use and safety of operation.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also agree with Hyperone , those new f3's are fugly as can be. The section with the headlights looks like somebody took the pieces from an rt and just slapped them on there, it just doesn't look like it belongs there.

It's like someone took a front end of a gremlin and try to slap it on a pacer. (those with some age on them will recognize my reference!) The only way you could make it uglier is make it in a manta green.

I also have to give an attaboy to BRP for alienating all of the android users that are out there.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 08-22-2023 at 01:26 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

HUNH??????
    Am I understanding this?
    Instead of reaching over right to left to hit a button, you now have to advance the throttle ??
    So you run the engine rpm up and THEN put it in reverse ??
    Even with the brake engaged, wouldn't that hurt the transmission ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    HUNH??????
    Am I understanding this?
    Instead of reaching over right to left to hit a button, you now have to advance the throttle ??
    not that way. REVERSE throttle action. like a Ryker
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

No you are not. Advancing the throttle will not do anything to the engine rpms.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

IMO, using two hands do something one did is senseless. My left foot isn't doing anything, why not put a reverse button on the footboard?

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    .... Well what does " advancing the throttle " do .....?????? I know what it does on 14 RT, what does it do on your 12 RT ???? .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    HUNH??????
    Am I understanding this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    not that way. REVERSE throttle action. like a Ryker
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... Well what does " advancing the throttle " do .....?????? I know what it does on 14 RT, what does it do on your 12 RT ???? .... Mike
    As Woodaddict mentioned, it's not OPENING the throttle or twisting Down to increase the revs, it's the Reverse of that, pushing the other way, just like you hafta do before starting a Ryker - it's actually CLOSING the throttle or pushing the top of the throttle Forwards, so it's not gonna do anything to the revs.... except maybe ensure that your engine IS at idle before the g/box tries to select Reverse!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It's a good move. Very intuitive. Never liked the button. Change always brings consternation. But we didn't get from sandals to traveling to the moon without it.

Granted, some change is a step or 2 backwards. But this one is going to be a crowd pleaser. It's a 'Try it, you'll like it' upgrade.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    As Woodaddict mentioned, it's not OPENING the throttle or twisting Down to increase the revs, it's the Reverse of that, pushing the other way, just like you hafta do before starting a Ryker - it's actually CLOSING the throttle or pushing the top of the throttle Forwards, so it's not gonna do anything to the revs.... except maybe ensure that your engine IS at idle before the g/box tries to select Reverse!
    Thanks for clearing this up ..... I was commenting on .... WHAT WAS WRITTEN .... I'd remove my comment , but I can't do that anymore ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Think about it, it is NO more complicated than the current method... Both press the brake, both press the - shift lever, just instead of reaching across and pressing a button, you roll forward on the throttle... same stuff, different wipe...
    I guess we handle the reverse shift operation differently. First, you do not have to press the brake to shift into reverse. 1st gear yes, reverse no, although doing so is a good safety practice. Then I use my left thumb to push down the R button and hit the paddle with my left middle finger. I don't reach across to shift. Why do you?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    First, you do not have to press the brake to shift into reverse. 1st gear yes, reverse no, ...
    Really? I guess I have gotten so accustomed to using the brake before leaving Neutral (in either direction), I never noticed that you don't have to. I'll have to try it this afternoon.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I guess we handle the reverse shift operation differently. First, you do not have to press the brake to shift into reverse. 1st gear yes, reverse no, although doing so is a good safety practice. Then I use my left thumb to push down the R button and hit the paddle with my left middle finger. I don't reach across to shift. Why do you?
    My 2015 F3S WILL NOT ENGAGE reverse UNLESS the brake is applied.... I reach across because my left hand is damaged to the point that if I "tweak" it the wrong way I have to sit and wait for it to recover.... Others may not be that dexterous or when the bars are turned full lock can't manipulate it that way... Any other questions I can help you with?

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm very comfortable with how I do it on my 2021 RT. Keeping both the starting of the engine and getting into Reverse not truly untuitive is also a deterrent to theft. I would guess most bike thieves would be stymied trying to start a Spyder, never imagining that the Mode button must be pressed. And being unable to get it into Reverse easily also would discourage a thief who would need to back the bike up to ride it away.

I'm quite happy with my 2021, and if I were asked what changes BRP should make for future model years, changing the way to get into Reverse would not be high on the list.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    My 2015 F3S WILL NOT ENGAGE reverse UNLESS the brake is applied.... I reach across because my left hand is damaged to the point that if I "tweak" it the wrong way I have to sit and wait for it to recover.... Others may not be that dexterous or when the bars are turned full lock can't manipulate it that way... Any other questions I can help you with?
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe a physical limitation is why you reach across. Makes perfectly good sense. The wording in the owners' manual for operating in reverse for both the F3 and RT is identical. Neither one explicitly states the brake must be depressed to shift into reverse. So it's interesting that one requires it and the other doesn't, even though the engine and transmission is the same for both. That, of course, does not mean the electronics are the same, which is what controls the shift operation. Maybe that was a change from MY 2014 to 2015. After all, 2015 was the first year for the F3.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-24-2023 at 02:01 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)