Spyder Garage

Question Recommend any luggage racks for pre 2020 RT's? What covers still fit?

Hi All,

I am planning a big ride in the spring and am thinking about a luggage rack. I am hoping to leverage the vast knowledge and experience offered by this community. So, a few questions,

1. Any recommendations? I two types, tubular that sit on an angle and flat that sits parallel with the street. Anyone know of any others?

2. I use a half cover at night when traveling to keep rain, droppings, and the curious away at night. The cover fits pretty tight and is secure. Does anyone with a luggage rack use a cover and if so, any issues or brand that works best?

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Once I installed the rack on my ‘14 RTS I was unable to find a cover to fit. On trips, I’ve been parking overnight without. I do remove all items from the bike though. No problems yet, and it has been 5+ years. I have the rack that sits on an angle.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I have the tube rack that sits at an angle. When I mounted it I put big chrome washers under the legs to spread the weight out. That has worked well as there are no cracks in my lid although it is easy to overload. Having said all that if they had been available at the time I would have gone with the parallel mount. With my rack at an angle everything ends up clumped at the bottom edge.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 08-19-2023 at 10:36 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All good comments ...... However I think the weight limit for the Trunk ( assembly ) is only 20 lbs. .... and if you Add a trunk rack / platform it's still only ...20 lbs. ..... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-19-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Have the old style angled one on my 18 RTL... never had any issue with my half cover fitting when I travel, or my full cover when in winter sleep in the garage.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Here's an easier way to solve the problem. (1) make a list of everything you plan to take, (2) cut the list in half, (3) review the shortened list and look for items for which you can get double duty use out of and make switches accordingly. Most important, retain the final list and when you return from your trip delete from that list things you did not use.

Admittedly I travel solo, but I am burdened with a darn CPAP machine that fits with three 20 oz bottles of distilled water in my left saddlebag. My right saddlebag holds my foul weather gear, a pair of boat shoes and a windbreaker for cool evenings. I can live indefinitely with what fits in my frunk. I use a set of Hopnel soft sided bags, the smallest of which holds all my tools and spares in the trunk. The larger of the trunk bags I do not use but have a trunk organizer and stow snacks, extra eyeglasses, sunglasses, etc. atop the tool bag. As you can see from my avatar, I lived an important part of my life with my house on my back, so I don't carry anything I don't really need, but I always carry a book to read and a small laptop computer.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

On my previous 2011 RTS, I had the Show Chrome angled rack. It served us well. Used it alot. We used it with a duffle bag to put our jackets in during hot weather. 15 to 20 lbs max in it. I am planning on putting a Show Chrome on our new to us 2021 RT Ltd.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Thanks JayBros, I like your approach and it would be easier if just me. Have been working with the wife on the less is more approach to packing.

I also have to lug a CPAP with me. Pre COVID I traveled a lot for work and invested in a travel CPAP. It fits in the palm of my hand and saves on a lot of packing space. I did not buy the humidifier as it would take up more space. When traveling, I pick up a saline nasal spray for $5 or so. Two squirts before bed, two in the morning keep me from drying out.
    Last edited by Sentinel; 08-26-2023 at 05:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks All.

Thanks all for sharing your experience and advice. Much appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the angled trunk rack and I also mounted it using larger washers. I had both my covers modified to fit with the rack. I also load it light. Over the years I've trained my wife to only take what is needed. We can do three/four overnighters very easily without taking the trailer.