Spyder Garage

Default Is BUDS good for all Can Am Spyders, including 2008?

I have a 2008 Spyder GS. It is in "Limp Home" mode.

The local Can Am Dealer says that they don't have any equipment to diagnose a Spyder that old. (NOTE: They just bought out the previous Can Am dealer)

That doesn't sound right to me. If I have to, I'll trailer my Spyder to Tennessee to get it fixed. But, I need to know if Can Am's BUDS works on all years of Can Am's?

Thanks for any information.

The Old Medic

Spyder Garage

BUDS (1) is good up to 2016... So yes, it should work on your 2008. BUDS2 is for 2017 and newer... Contact Joshua Ramsey (ram.josh@hotmail.com) for the best price that I have found when getting mine...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2014 Spyder RT last week, and the previous owner bought the BUDS Software and the MPI Adapter so they could de-activate their keys last year. They gave me the MPI unit but said their License expired, so I found a seller online that sells the BUDS License Megatech 10 years for only $30.00. I received the Key in a email and activated the software and it works as advertised. License covers all BRP vehicles 1996-2016: SeaDoo, Can-Am, Skidoo. You must already have the MPI unit and adapters. The $30 is only for License. Just FYI.

Here is the address - diag-systems.com/buds1_megatech_10-years

John
    Montana

If this type of Reply is not allowed please remove.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-19-2023 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Removed post title - many can't see them & they mess with Searching... ;-)
    14 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I bought the BUDS2 setup from Mr Ramsey 2 yrs ago. It works fine for my 2015 T-S Special Series. He told me that it'll work for 2008 thru 2019.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldMedic View Post
    I have a 2008 Spyder GS. It is in "Limp Home" mode.

The local Can Am Dealer says that they don't have any equipment to diagnose a Spyder that old. (NOTE: They just bought out the previous Can Am dealer)

That doesn't sound right to me. If I have to, I'll trailer my Spyder to Tennessee to get it fixed. But, I need to know if Can Am's BUDS works on all years of Can Am's?

Thanks for any information.

The Old Medic
    I might be interpreting your message different than the others here. Some are pointing you to buying BUDS yourself - I'm not convinced that's what you were after. So let me address what I see in your post from a slightly different angle.

1) Yes, the Original BUDS will work on your 2008 no problem. BUDS2 is for the newer models as outlined in other replies here. I'll add that you have to have BUDS to get BUDS2.
    2) Given the dealer was just bought out - its possible their answer is in ignorance - HOWEVER, it's far more likely it's the same growing "We don't work on anything older than 10 years" answer that more and more dealers are giving - not just Canam - all brands - Motorcycles and Cars.
    3) The 2008 Spyder GS is almost identical to the 2016 Spyder RSS mechanically - which makes the "we don't work on anything older than 10 years" even more frustrating for owners.
    4) Do you know the error code being generated? If you press and hold the Set and Mode buttons while pressing the Turn Signal Cancel - it will display on the screen a Letter and 4 digits - this is the actual error code causing you fits - and can help us point you in the right direction - possibly without even needing to hook BUDS up to it.

Not sure where in KY you are located - I'm in Indianapolis, IN - with a Megatech 10-year license for BUDS. Doesn't mean I can help - but I'm willing to discuss this further to see if I might be able to.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-10-2023 at 03:00 PM.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Well, maybe not really 'Way Old', but it does always pay to check out the dates of the First Post in the thread and at least the last few replies before adding your response, Folks! This thread was started in August; got a couple of responses pretty much immediately; then there's been nothing added until these last two 'revival' posts (before mine/this post that is ) that've been added just recently, some 3 months later.... Yeah, I know, it's not yet 'Thread Archeology', but still...

And even tho the Original Post in this thread was put up by TheOldMedic back in August this year, and it looks like all the replies are at least trying to help him, I'd suggest that there's no real point/benefit in continuing for the OP's benefit UNLESS he ever comes back to look at any of these replies?! And that is something he hasn't done - not in 3 months; and not even to read the first two responses!! It looks like the Original Post was put up and immediately abandoned....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-10-2023 at 03:27 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!