Spyder Garage

Default Is this a good Ballpark price for a used 2017 F3S?

I have a friend (88 years old) who is suffering from dementia and alzheimers. He was a professional drag racer his whole life, so he rides like a madman. He doesn't want to quit riding. He has a total of 5 motorcycles plus the Spyder. I you even mention selling them he comes unglued. His wife asked me what could be expected if she can convince him to sell the Spyder. I have been over there twice this week showing him how to start it, even though he has had it for years and put over 15k miles on it. It is really sad. Anyway, it is a 2017 F3S, semi auto. He has added hard bags and a small top case. I think they are Shad brand. I told her they should get at least 15-17K for it. It is in nice shape. Don't want to get any more detailed (or photos) until he comes around to letting it go. Thx.

Was I setting the right expectations?
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 08-17-2023 at 05:38 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

you can look up used prices on Kelly Blue Book, and assorted websites to get the value. You may have miss typed, Shad is the top case or saddlebag name
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is really sad.
    I see only one happy way out of this situation: he sells the F3 to his dear friend RJ. For some price you arrange with his wife. Whether it is a real sale or not is between you and his wife. Then you arrange the real sale on this forum, CycleTrader, etc. It's time for him to leave the Spyder behind.

Best wishes and for your lucky friend.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Most people price at private party sale. That is in between "trade in" and "dealer" ask. They try to get around $5K more than the trade in these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sounds like I am pretty close as KBB shows trade in of just over 13k.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a friend (88 years old) who is suffering from dementia and alzheimers. He was a professional drag racer his whole life, so he rides like a madman. He doesn't want to quit riding. ... I have been over there twice this week showing him how to start it, even though he has had it for years and put over 15k miles on it.
    My apologies for misunderstanding your primary objective. I thought it was to arrange a smooth transition of the Spyder away from your friend so he would no longer be a hazard to himself or others.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

no apology needed

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your pricing sounds fair. It all depends on your location. I have seen some for less, but there are some higher in this area. I feel for your friend and his family. I sold my 2014 RT to a guy that I used to ride with in the local goldwing group. About 2 years after the purchase he was suffering from dementia and other health problems. In those 2 years, he only put about 300 miles on the bike. He actually let the bike sat for almost another 3 years. After his wife finally convinced him to sell, I brought the bike to my place and cleaned it up (he had it outside, but under a full cover). Posted the add and made arrangements for viewing and helped with the sale. All he and his wife had to do was show up and sign the title. It was the best that I could do, as it was hard seeing him suffering and not being able to ride. They were very grateful, and I was more than happy to help. I gave him a good deal on it, and he was actually able to sell it for within $1000 of what I sold it to him 5 years ago for.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white