Spyder Garage

Default Is there a reason people seemingly don't research correct prices?

Being new to Spyder and trying to buy a used 2016 - 2018 Rt I’ve noticed the totally unrealistic pricing of these,
    My question is,, is there a reason people seem to not do any research on the correct price? Jd Powers, Nada, KBB.
    I must be missing something here, I do know I’ve owned bikes for 45 years and this is the craziest market I’ve encountered.
    I sure would appreciate any help with this so I can understand.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-18-2023 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

These pricing agencies are typically way behind the power curve in todays crazy, fluctuating market. Even more so with a niche market product like the Spyder/Ryker. Add in that you can find wildly varying prices between a dealership (normally very high) and a private sale (usually much lower) for essentially the same thing. This is a typical situation, but usually not on the scale that I've seen the Spyder/Ryker.

If price is your primary concern (I'm with you there). The hunt is the key. As with any hunt, a wise combination of research and patience are critical. Prices will go down as the weather gets colder, wetter, etc.

My primary rule, (which, admittedly I don't always take my own advise). Is, 'Always be willing to walk away!' If not, buyers remorse is usually right around the corner.

Buying a toy like this can be an emotional event. Just be sure to save the emotion for AFTER the purchase.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-17-2023 at 09:32 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I do agree that patience and waiting for the snow to blow in are the key factors to getting a fair deal. I don’t mind paying a fair price but some of these are totally unrealistic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kensouthdakota View Post
    I do agree that patience and waiting for the snow to blow in are the key factors to getting a fair deal. I don’t mind paying a fair price but some of these are totally unrealistic.
    True. Case in point. Dealership has a used 2021 RT priced at $27,000. It is low mileage. But it's not much below what you'd pay for the same thing in a 2023. I think the dealership is just trying to get lucky. But who knows. They might get it.

I don't necessarily think you have to wait until it's snowing. Hard to test drive a Spyder in 4" of white stuff. And don't be afraid to travel. I've actually purchased a motorcycle or 2 that were a few thousand miles away. Had them shipped to me. A little bit bigger roll of the dice. But they worked out well. The bigger your net, the more fish can be caught.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Being new to Spyder and trying to buy a used 2016 - 2018 Rt I’ve noticed the totally unrealistic pricing of these,
    My question is,, is there a reason people seem to not do any research on the correct price? Jd Powers, Nada, KBB.
    I must be missing something here, I do know I’ve owned bikes for 45 years and this is the craziest market I’ve encountered.
    and do you think the prices that the HD owners at asking are much better? How about the prices for a used HD trike, or GW trike? All the pricing or eventual price paid is based on supply and demand. As new prices go higher, so do used prices.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I spent about 2 months looking at new and used Spyders (multiple models) before deciding to buy new last month. I was going to buy used but like you, seeing used prices within a few thousand of a brand new unit had me questioning why would anyone buy used. I went new mainly for the fresh warranty even though I've dumped a ton of cash into accessories in the past few weeks that I could have gotten already installed on a used one.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO dealers are going to charge the most ..... however look at IMotorsports ( a sponsor here ) ( there are many happy folks here who used them ) ... their prices are pretty good and they ship for FREE .... Private sellers can give to best prices, however they may not completely truthful annnnnnnd they may not be local to you, so you may have to ship ( $$$ ) or fly and drive .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have seen people asking more for a 2018 RTL than I paid for my 2020 in January of this year. Sellers can ask what they will but it is up to the buyer to try to negotiate to what they think is fair or be ready to leave it there.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Unless you are trying to get rid of an item ASAP and don't care what it brings then it stands to reason to start high - you may as well get as much as you can for it.
    You might accidentally come across the person who will pay the high price.
    One can always lower the price but I have never seen a price increase over the original asking price throughout the sales process.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I do agree that you should get a fair! Price but to gouge a person just goes against my grain.

Spyder Garage

When considering the difference between dealer and private sellers prices, make sure you're looking at down the road prices..... Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I know what you mean, Mr. Ken. Logically a tricycle should cost 1.5 motorcycles. But a running Honda Goldwing is being advertised near me for $2500. If I told my CanAm dealer I wanted a Spyder for $3750, he'd bust a gut laughing.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True. Case in point. Dealership has a used 2021 RT priced at $27,000. It is low mileage. But it's not much below what you'd pay for the same thing in a 2023. I think the dealership is just trying to get lucky. But who knows. They might get it.

I don't necessarily think you have to wait until it's snowing. Hard to test drive a Spyder in 4" of white stuff. And don't be afraid to travel. I've actually purchased a motorcycle or 2 that were a few thousand miles away. Had them shipped to me. A little bit bigger roll of the dice. But they worked out well. The bigger your net, the more fish can be caught.

Can I ask you, when you bought the bikes and had them shipped, how do you handle the payment, tittle, etc? Also, what carrier did you use to ship them?

Spyder Garage

(Plz don’t take wrong ) blah blah blah .....
    Ya prices all over place with or without extras(farkles- customization). Maybe try narrowing down a reasonable list of models & features that win you over. Were few production changes to know;
    Brake system, engine & dash. As well as recalls. While killing some time go get friendly with dealer -do some test rides -feel out the various seating positions & test the dealers knowledge of the list above. We are only spyder lovers(customers) they are the representatives still up to your interest/preferences. Good luck on the hunt & miles of smiles to come.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

supply and demand i buy late model used cars for a chain of new car dealerships we can not get some new models of vehicles we are paying for used clean vehicles with miles over new sticker price and customers are buying. when dealers have big supply of new cars or spyders used prices will come down. its going to be awhile

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The key is to be patient, but ready to pounce when the right deal comes along. 2021 purchased a 2016 F3L special series with 3700 miles and $4,000 worth of extras for $1000 less than what my local dealership paid me for my 2016 F3T with 28k miles and no extras (took them all off). Last October I purchased my 2021 RTL with 467 miles for $5000 less than a local dealership paid a friend of mine for his 2021 RTL with 8,000 miles. There are 2021 F3 in the local area for as low as $10k-$12k. But at the same time there are some priced for as much as $20k. My thoughts are to purchase as close to trade in value as possible, but not to pay over private party value. Even when I bought my first new spyder (2014 RT SM6), I paid $17,500 new in September of 2014 and my buddy purchased the same bike for $22,000 the previous February.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Spyder RT in the summer of 2021 the difference in price between a new one off the showroom floor of the dealer, and a 2 year old used one from a private seller was about $2,000. It was worth that much to me to get a brand new one. Demand was high and I did not expect, nor get, anything off the MRSP for that Spyder, but I was given a very fair trade in value on my 5 year old Goldwing. And buying one off the floor meant that the time factor from when I walked in to look at Spyders, and when I rode away on a new bike was only 2 days.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)