Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else had problems with Fuel in oil? Ideas?

Has anyone else had the problem of fuel getting into your oil? What was the cause? Even just replacing the fuel injectors you have to have B.U.D.S., right? What else could cause the fuel to get into the oil? Thanks for your ideas.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-15-2023 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s.... ;-)
    2008 GS SE5 , silver/black

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately any number of gaskets & none simple. Is there just smell or additional evidence?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msgoodwrench View Post
    Has anyone else had the problem of fuel getting into your oil? What was the cause? Even just replacing the fuel injectors you have to have B.U.D.S., right? What else could cause the fuel to get into the oil? Thanks for your ideas.
    I see you have a V-Twin engine ..... when I had my 08 GS there was a tube that went into the air cleaner, by-passing the air filter .... after taking Ron's advice I disconnected that line and plugged the hole in the air box .... my engine ran better after I did that ..... Have you done this to yours? .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-15-2023 at 06:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Is there just smell or additional evidence? asks Bf

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Thank you, yes, checked oil because it seems to use some, and the level was way high! So I pumped some out, and that oil and the dipstick smell of gas. I ride 25 miles to work, so no short trip syndrome or long idling time for this machine. Wondering if it has to have B.U.D.S. connected really, or can I change out the injector without that? Thank you much for your input.

Spyder Garage

I bought this machine used 2 years ago. I had the air box off last winter to change filters, really don't know about this hose... I will need to take that airbox off again because of high oil level, so I want to know what to check. Anyway you have a photo? Thank you so much.

Spyder Garage

I bought this machine used 2 years ago. I had the air box off last winter to change filters, really don't know about this hose... I will need to take that airbox off again because of high oil level, so I want to know what to check. Anyway you have a photo? Thank you so much.
    NO photo .... If you remove the left side panel and expose that side of the engine you should see a short hose that connects to the left side of the air box ... remove it from the air box ( plug the hole ) & put a Fuel filter on it. you can add a hose to the other end and direct it down thru the tupperware under panel .... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

thanks for your info. So put a filter on the end I plug? use the other end to add to and use as a 'drain tube"? Thank you so much, I appreciate the help you guys give. I put a new fuel filter on it last winter when I changed the air filter, oil and filters, new plugs and wires. I didn't do anything with the B.U.D.S. then, breaking into the fuel line, so was wondering if it is absolute that you use B.U.D.S. when removing injectors?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Unfortunately any number of gaskets & none simple. Is there just smell or additional evidence?
    Thank you, yes, checked oil because it seems to use some, and the level was way high! So I pumped some out, and that oil and the dipstick smell of gas. I ride 25 miles to work, so no short trip syndrome or long idling time for this machine. Wondering if it has to have B.U.D.S. connected really, or can I change out the injector without that? Thank you much for your input.

Spyder Garage

thanks for your info. So put a filter on the end I plug? use the other end to add to and use as a 'drain tube"? Thank you so much, I appreciate the help you guys give. I put a new fuel filter on it last winter when I changed the air filter, oil and filters, new plugs and wires. I didn't do anything with the B.U.D.S. then, breaking into the fuel line, so was wondering if it is absolute that you use B.U.D.S. when removing injectors?
    I'm not sure about " so put a filter on the end I plug " ???? .... The " PLUG " goes on /into the hole in the lower rear corner of the AirBox ( after you dis-connect the HOSE ..... you put the Filter on the end of that hose and a drain line to the bottom area near the oil reservoir ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't rely on my nose to identify fuel in oil. Either have a sample tested or put fresh oil in and keep a close check on the level over a few weeks. Take the guesswork out of it - but that's just me.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not sure about " so put a filter on the end I plug " ???? .... The " PLUG " goes on /into the hole in the lower rear corner of the AirBox ( after you dis-connect the HOSE ..... you put the Filter on the end of that hose and a drain line to the bottom area near the oil reservoir ..... Mike
    ok, sorry, misconception! That's why I ask. Pull the hose, plug the hole in the airbox, put filter on end of pulled hose, and install additional hose down to drain out. I have it right, now, correct?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I wouldn't rely on my nose to identify fuel in oil. Either have a sample tested or put fresh oil in and keep a close check on the level over a few weeks. Take the guesswork out of it - but that's just me.
    ok, I can do that, wasn't sure just how much it could stand. I don't want to ruin it. But, I checked the oil again last night and it has stayed the same; smell test on dipstick wasn't overall convincing either. So, I may try it again, fresh oil. Thank you for your thoughts. It is hard to tell just where the oil is, and where the 'splash' is when I check it hot. Much easier to tell if it has risen if I check it cold, and relate to earlier checks. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

ok, sorry, misconception! That's why I ask. Pull the hose, plug the hole in the airbox, put filter on end of pulled hose, and install additional hose down to drain out. I have it right, now, correct?
    BINGO .....Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re way overthinking this. The procedure for getting an accurate reading of oil level is to check it hot. Not when the coolant is hot, but when the oil is hot. Come home from your ride, turn off the engine and check it immediately. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it, screw it all the way back in, pull it out and check. There’s no splash. If you delay, oil will gravity drain from the tank back into the sump over time. You can get a 3 inch rise on the dipstick between cold and hot.

When oil level is proper, it doesn’t even show on the dipstick when cold. Checking it cold is bad information and shouldn’t be done.

The vast majority of oil level issues on the 998 is just improper technique checking and adding oil. And besides, your riding style and habits would preclude gas accumulating in the oil, anyway. The high oil temperature will evaporate off any accumulation of gasoline.

So, check it and adjust the level correctly. Only when hot. Then follow the trend in oil level. Personally, I think you’re fine. Yes, go forward with that crankcase breather mod. Helps with other issues.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-17-2023 at 12:16 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re way overthinking this. The procedure for getting an accurate reading of oil level is to check it hot. Not when the coolant is hot, but when the oil is hot. Come home from your ride, turn off the engine and check it immediately. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it, screw it all the way back in, pull it out and check. There’s no splash. If you delay, oil will gravity drain from the tank back into the sump over time. You can get a 3 inch rise on the dipstick between cold and hot.

When oil level is proper, it doesn’t even show on the dipstick when cold. Checking it cold is bad information and shouldn’t be done.

The vast majority of oil level issues on the 998 is just improper technique checking and adding oil. And besides, your riding style and habits would preclude gas accumulating in the oil, anyway. The high oil temperature will evaporate off any accumulation of gasoline.

So, check it and adjust the level correctly. Only when hot. Then follow the trend in oil level. Personally, I think you’re fine. Yes, go forward with that crankcase breather mod. Helps with other issues.
    Dose he have a evap system on that bike?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Dose he have a evap system on that bike?
    Yeah. all of the Spyders have evap / charcoal canister systems. If the engine is running, any fuel or vapors are just re-burned in the engine - rear cylinder on the 998. If the engine is not running, any excess or overflow of liquid gas just goes out the vent onto the ground underneath the machine. A faulty purge valve would present itself in other ways. It's just not realistic that a dripping fuel injector(s) adds anything significant to the oil level in the oil tank. It would be so flooded it would be impossible to start, and it's not a gravity fed system. Replacing the fuel injectors doesn't require BUDS, anyway. Testing them does, but that is only an electrical test. If one wants to do a leakage test, then you do a fuel pressure test and then watch for how fast the pressure decays after the fuel pump is turned off. An issue that is typically corrected with some fuel system cleaner.

All I can do is lead the OP to the watering-hole.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    BINGO .....Mike
    So glad for your input! I did finally find that old thread where Ron posted his comments and pictures. Also I looked at your fix in your album for the canister-ectomy; looks good! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by msgoodwrench; 08-17-2023 at 09:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Yeah. all of the Spyders have evap / charcoal canister systems. If the engine is running, any fuel or vapors are just re-burned in the engine - rear cylinder on the 998. If the engine is not running, any excess or overflow of liquid gas just goes out the vent onto the ground underneath the machine. A faulty purge valve would present itself in other ways. It's just not realistic that a dripping fuel injector(s) adds anything significant to the oil level in the oil tank. It would be so flooded it would be impossible to start, and it's not a gravity fed system. Replacing the fuel injectors doesn't require BUDS, anyway. Testing them does, but that is only an electrical test. If one wants to do a leakage test, then you do a fuel pressure test and then watch for how fast the pressure decays after the fuel pump is turned off. An issue that is typically corrected with some fuel system cleaner.

All I can do is lead the OP to the watering-hole.
    Wow, thank you! Lots of good info. Finally someone who answered about the B.U.D.S. Thankfully it sounds like I won't need to worry about it anyway. I mean, this thing only has 25k on it. I am getting some cleaner to run thru it anyway. So, yes, I have now read many many things to suggest that it is imperative as to how you check the oil! I think it is still too high. My problem was that there appeared to be more and more oil in the sump. That is why I suspected fuel in the oil. I thought maybe it smelled like gas, but wasn't entirely convinced. First off, I just need to very carefully and correctly check that oil level! I will go from there and see how things progress, to see if there really is an issue. Right now, cold, it is a little over half way up the stick, so it is already too much. When I suspected fuel in the oil I was afraid to ride it anymore and really wreck something else. New oil, and carefully check level... Many thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions - great forum!