Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension 190 on ground = how much wheel off ground?

I ask this because I’ve searched and read until my eyes are crossed and not found the answer or formula.
    I had a new rear tire installed at the dealer and now have a bad belt vibration that can start at 54 mph and continue up to 72 mph (I haven’t tried faster).
    I want to go into the dealer on Monday and have them set the belt tension to 190 wog but if they don’t want to do it with the wheel on the ground, I want to be prepared with what tension to ask them to set it at.
    I also have printed the bulletin from 2015 to show them.

Thanks everyone
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    I ask this because I’ve searched and read until my eyes are crossed and not found the answer or formula.
    I had a new rear tire installed at the dealer and now have a bad belt vibration that can start at 54 mph and continue up to 72 mph (I haven’t tried faster).
    I want to go into the dealer on Monday and have them set the belt tension to 190 wog but if they don’t want to do it with the wheel on the ground, I want to be prepared with what tension to ask them to set it at.
    I also have printed the bulletin from 2015 to show them.

Thanks everyone
    I doubt very much that they will accommodate you on this .... Dealers follow the BRP manual for settings and repairs ..... However if you get lucky, I have my RT at 160 lbs measured On - the - Ground .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I doubt very much that they will accommodate you on this .... Dealers follow the BRP manual for settings and repairs ..... However if you get lucky, I have my RT at 160 lbs measured On - the - Ground .... good luck .... Mike
    Found the same with our local dealer, I also run 160 on the ground. On random times it's get the belt vib but only seems to happen while Cruise Control is on.
    2001 Honda CBR 929 (145k miles)
    2010 MV Agusta Brutale 990 (55k miles)
    2015 MV Agusta Brutale 675 (25k miles)
    2021 Spyder RT LTD (24k miles)

Spyder Garage

I guess I didn’t explain myself very well.
    What I’m looking for is a way to translate the belt tension with the wheel on ground to the belt tension with the rear wheel suspended.
    So 160 wog = ??? With wheel suspended.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Two things: The belt tension will go to zero if you jack up the cycle enough. If you do this, disconnect the linkage for the air-ride suspension height first, else you will break it. IMHO wheels on the ground is the only sensible place to measure tension.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

So this vibration began to occur immediately after a rear tyre change. Alarm bells ring for me.

Why?
    You do not have to mess with the adjusters to remove the rear wheel as you can walk the belt off. Then you can remove the axle and then the wheel assembly. Again without messing with the adjusters. Replace the tyre and refit. Refit the wheel assembly. Walk the belt back on, again without messing with the adjusters. So nothing should have changed with the tension.

I would revisit the new tyre and check its mounted correctly and ....gasp....shock ....horror....ensure its balanced.

I would also suggest a Krikit belt tension gauge. Easy to use and it takes only moments to check the belt tension.

PS please enter your ride particulars as it makes a difference when asking for advice. Year and model that is.

Here is how to remove a rear wheel without messing in any way with the adjusters so you can see what im on about.

Good luck. Over to you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=juVK1ogc1BA
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    So this vibration began to occur immediately after a rear tyre change. Alarm bells ring for me.

Why?
    You do not have to mess with the adjusters to remove the rear wheel as you can walk the belt off. Then you can remove the axle and then the wheel assembly. Again without messing with the adjusters. Replace the tyre and refit. Refit the wheel assembly. Walk the belt back on, again without messing with the adjusters. So nothing should have changed with the tension.

I would revisit the new tyre and check its mounted correctly and ....gasp....shock ....horror....ensure its balanced.

I would also suggest a Krikit belt tension gauge. Easy to use and it takes only moments to check the belt tension.

PS please enter your ride particulars as it makes a difference when asking for advice. Year and model that is.

Here is how to remove a rear wheel without messing in any way with the adjusters so you can see what im on about.

Good luck. Over to you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=juVK1ogc1BA
    Thanks. My ride particulars are in my signature. I do see that the dealer removed the old wheel weights and installed new ones.
    I’m actually familiar with the belt vibrations and this isn’t my first Spyder and maybe I’m just noticing it more because I was looking for a vibration (and found it).
    I’ll take it into the dealer on Tuesday and get his thoughts. I did notice that although I don’t yet have a Krikit, I’m able to turn the belt to 90 degrees with 1 finger and thumb even with my arthritis.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Why?
    The issue is that the OP had the dealer do this change, ISO, and the BRP guidelines have the wrench release the adjusters etc rather than just walking the belt off. They then put it all back together and set the adjusters for the specified BRP alignment and tension. Anything you do personally gets over-ridden, unfortunately. That’s why things have possibly changed with the tension……and they will not let the Spyder leave the workshop if it is not to BRP spec…..believe me, I’ve tried….hard

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

This week I got my sprocket done and before at 140 pd cricket I had No vibration until 75+ NOW after the adjustment I,m at 180 Cric and getting that annoying vibration I never had at 65-67 mph. I will drop it to at least 160 or lower and send the vibration higher.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Anybody know the answer to the original question? 160 with wheel on the ground equals ? with wheel in the air?
    2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Nobody came up with an answer Bunson. After much investigation I’m guessing the on the ground is about 20 pounds more than in the air.

So just to update.
    I took it into the dealer this morning and asked them to reduce the belt tension due to the vibration.
    The lowest they would go is 900 newtons or 202 pounds. It is much better. Still a slight vibration under certain conditions but better than it was.
    I got to talk with the technician when he brought the spyder out and based on the 2015 tst bulletin that I showed him, he said he will be willing to adjust it as low as 800 newtons but told me to try it for a week as see how it is.
    Of course he said that he was completely unaware of the bulletin despite the fact that he’s been working on spyders at the same dealership since 2008.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    Nobody came up with an answer Bunson. After much investigation I’m guessing the on the ground is about 20 pounds more than in the air.

So just to update.
    I took it into the dealer this morning and asked them to reduce the belt tension due to the vibration.
    The lowest they would go is 900 newtons or 202 pounds. It is much better. Still a slight vibration under certain conditions but better than it was.
    I got to talk with the technician when he brought the spyder out and based on the 2015 tst bulletin that I showed him, he said he will be willing to adjust it as low as 800 newtons but told me to try it for a week as see how it is.
    Of course he said that he was completely unaware of the bulletin despite the fact that he’s been working on spyders at the same dealership since 2008.
    I did mine today 2015 F3 after they did the sprocket. I adjusted it to 140 in the air and its 160 on the ground. Thats with the krikic which you should purchase.

Spyder Garage
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I imagine that the below procedures may have been different for earlier Spyder years, but for those with a 2020+ Spyder, here is what the 2020+ Service Manual page 189 says:

PS: I removed the part that says to use expensive ultrasonic BRP Belt Tension Meter (P/N 529 036 115).

Drive Belt Tension Setup pg 189.png Drive Belt Tension pg 189.png
    Last edited by GFrog; 08-17-2023 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Typo
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to add a couple things. Yesterday I lowered my tension again to about 125 in the air after running bike to adjust. This equaled 140-145 on the ground. Roughly 20 pound difference with bike only 2 inches lifted. If you just start and NOT touch the throttle when adjusting the bike it won,t go into vss faults. Also , when I put thje bike down after adjustment it made a screaching sound when moving forward and back in garage? 3 hours later I went back and moved it out and in garage and ALL was fine. I think right after the jacked up adjustment this may occur. My belt is now in the middle in front and 2-3mm from the back sprocket inner wall. This is back where I was before the Sprocket replacement and there is no vibration through 75mph and I rarely go over that in CT.

Spyder Garage

I ran mine with its ass in the air and adjusted the alignment on the rear pulley.
    Had the front wheels chocked .....and ran in gear on the idle.

I did get a fault code.

Nanny must have picked up the front wheels were not turning as normal. And threw a code. I asked about it on here, take it for a ride and it will clear itself was suggested.

Sure enough it cleared between the shed and my front gate.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I ran mine with its ass in the air and adjusted the alignment on the rear pulley.
    Had the front wheels chocked .....and ran in gear on the idle.

I did get a fault code.

Nanny must have picked up the front wheels were not turning as normal. And threw a code. I asked about it on here, take it for a ride and it will clear itself was suggested.

Sure enough it cleared between the shed and my front gate.
    Mine does not throw a code when doing that. Mine is a 2020 though.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Mine also and it's a 2012
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My thinking was if you don,t give it any throttle the computer thinks its standing still? Couple years ago I adjusted it and gave it a little throttle and it threw the code-which cleared. Mine has the clutch.

Spyder Garage

I dont think I operated the throttle at all. Just started it and let it run. Key, buttons, brake and starter. But it turned out all good in the end.
    2017 F3 Ltd