Spyder Garage

Default Riding the North Georgia Mountain region

My son and I will be visiting the mountains of North Georgia over the Labor Day weekend. We are rendezvousing at Walhalla, SC on Friday 9/1/23. He is starting out in Old Hickory, TN and I start my journey in Murrells Inlet, SC. Walhalla is approximately 300 miles for both of us. We hope to meet up around 3:00 pm and then ride North on the "Moonshiner 28" towards the Bartram Trail. From there we head over to Dillard, GA for the night. Dillard has a bluegrass and BBQ festival going on that weekend. Friday miles = 362 miles

On Saturday we head down to the Tallulah Gorge State Park - then to Helen and lunch at Troll Tavern - up to Hiawassee - over to Blairsville - down to Suches (The GA Dragon) - and then up to Blue Ridge for the night, with dinner at "Grumpy Old Man Brewery." Saturday miles = 156 miles

Sunday we head up to McCaysville - to Copperhill - to Ocoee - to Chatsworth - to Ellijay - to Dahlonega to Helen for the evening - Dinner at Alpine Brew Deck. Sunday miles = 156 miles

Monday we will say our good byes and head to our respective starting destinations. Monday miles = 270 miles for the boy and 350 miles for the "Ol Man.

This will be our first visit to this region of the country - does anyone have any suggestions of places not to miss - or not to go to?

I will have my camera and hope to catch the beauty of the area.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
    My son and I will be visiting the mountains of North Georgia over the Labor Day weekend. We are rendezvousing at Walhalla, SC on Friday 9/1/23. He is starting out in Old Hickory, TN and I start my journey in Murrells Inlet, SC. Walhalla is approximately 300 miles for both of us. We hope to meet up around 3:00 pm and then ride North on the "Moonshiner 28" towards the Bartram Trail. From there we head over to Dillard, GA for the night. Dillard has a bluegrass and BBQ festival going on that weekend. Friday miles = 362 miles

On Saturday we head down to the Tallulah Gorge State Park - then to Helen and lunch at Troll Tavern - up to Hiawassee - over to Blairsville - down to Suches (The GA Dragon) - and then up to Blue Ridge for the night, with dinner at "Grumpy Old Man Brewery." Saturday miles = 156 miles

Sunday we head up to McCaysville - to Copperhill - to Ocoee - to Chatsworth - to Ellijay - to Dahlonega to Helen for the evening - Dinner at Alpine Brew Deck. Sunday miles = 156 miles

Monday we will say our good byes and head to our respective starting destinations. Monday miles = 270 miles for the boy and 350 miles for the "Ol Man.

This will be our first visit to this region of the country - does anyone have any suggestions of places not to miss - or not to go to?

I will have my camera and hope to catch the beauty of the area.
    If you anywhere near the " Rattler " it's 5 times better than " the Dragon " ... I've dome the Rattler about a dozen times and never saw an LEO .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you anywhere near the " Rattler " it's 5 times better than " the Dragon " ... I've dome the Rattler about a dozen times and never saw an LEO .... good luck ... Mike
    We did the Rattler and the Dragon in May and we all agreed that the Rattler was a better ride than the Dragon.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Yeah, some good riding in that area..........

Not sure if it is still open, but "The Dillard House" had some good eating too.

Left the scooter parked many times and went on the narrower dirt trails on a 4 legged, 1 horsepower vehicle.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

+1 for the Dillard House. I won't go in there alone, it's too embarrassing. But you and son may be able to do it justice.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

This sounds like a great ride! You've chosen some of the best roads in North Georgia! The only advice I would give is to skip the Dillard House; I've eaten there several times and didn't think it was that special (kind of touristy). Just south of there is the great town of Clayton, GA and some terrific restaurants and shops. My favorite restaurants there are Universal Joint (great burgers and craft beer) and Fortify (a really great supper place that's a little fancier).

Like others have suggested, if you want to venture a bit further north, the Foothills Parkway is one of the absolute best and most scenic roads in the south, especially now that the northern section has been completed. The Dragon is fine, but so technical that my eyes are always on the road rather than the scenery.

Last week (mid-August), a significant storm destroyed portions of the Cherohala Skyway, and it's not possible to ride from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains without a very long detour. They may have it repaired by Labor Day weekend, but I would check to be sure if you're considering that roadway.

Have a great ride!

Spyder Garage

Not sure if the Richard B Russel Hwy is on your list but it's a good ride also. Ga Hwy # 348 It's off of hwy 180 between Helen and Suches.

Have fun, I really enjoy riding that area. Lots of crotch rockets around Suches so look out for them and just let them go on by.

Also I would consider taking Moonshiner 28 on up to Highlands NC and then come back down if that fits into your schedule. Moonshiner 28 is my favorite ride in that area by far.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 08-20-2023 at 09:33 AM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Not sure if the Richard B Russel Hwy is on your list but it's a good ride also. Ga Hwy # 348 It's off of hwy 180 between Helen and Suches.

Have fun, I really enjoy riding that area. Lots of crotch rockets around Suches so look out for them and just let them go on by.

Also I would consider taking Moonshiner 28 on up to Highlands NC and then come back down if that fits into your schedule. Moonshiner 28 is my favorite ride in that area by far.
    And wear a helmet going to Highlands. There is a golf course up there that goes across the highway, (or maybe the highway goes across the golf course). Wouldn't want to be riding along, looking at the scenery, and get beaned by a golf ball.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

You already have a great plan. And yes, there are LOTS of other roads waiting for your next trip there.
    I'm assuming that you'll have lunch at TWO (Two Wheels) when in Suches......Say hello to Bill.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case