Spyder Garage

Default Just had Recall Sprocket fitted, now it's making noises - any ideas?

Just had the recall sprocket replaced, there is now noise coming from the sprocket at low speed in 2nd gear. Cruising at highway speeds, there's no noise & no vibrations. Should I be concerned? The noise was not there with the old sprocket; belt gap is good on the rear sprocket & riding on the outside edge of the new sprocket. I never ever looked at the old front sprocket to see where the belt was riding on it. Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-10-2023 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question; Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

If they only replaced the front pulley (not a sprocket) and used the same belt and rear pulley, then the wear patterns do not match up. Depending on how much wear there was on the belt and rear pulley, it may wear in. A dealership mechanic should know to change both pulleys and the belt if there is a significant amount of wear. You can't always depend on the dealership to do the right thing.

They may have also set the belt tension wrong.

Check the obvious stuff first.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks Gwolf,after I posted ,same thing I was thinking ,belt done 45th Kys,might bed in on new pulley,belt looks good,no vibrations at speed,smooth all through the gears changing up or down,seems to be riding on outside edge of new pulley,but about credit card gap on rear pulley on the inside.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Patt View Post
    Just had the recall sprocket replaced, there is now noise coming from the sprocket at low speed in 2nd gear. Cruising at highway speeds, there's no noise & no vibrations. Should I be concerned? The noise was not there with the old sprocket; belt gap is good on the rear sprocket & riding on the outside edge of the new sprocket. I never ever looked at the old front sprocket to see where the belt was riding on it. Thanks for any replies.
    Hi mate, I had my sprocket replaced a while ago and what I found was that the belt looked like it was tracking off the rear flange on the rear sprocket about half the thickness of the belt. So after a bit of adjustment it's now running fine, about the thinkness of a credit card off the rear flange, no wierd noises, but don't ask me... too many years in infantry, so I am more on the deaf side.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2023 at 05:19 AM. Reason: c's & ' 's ;-)
    2019 Can Am Spyder F3S
    ICSI Ride Hand Brake Kit as my right leg and foot does not work that well due to MS
    The Ultimate F3 Floorboard
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Shad Saddle Bags
    Lamonster F3 PACKRACK
    SHAD 58X in Carbon finish - Expandable TOP Case
    Pedal Box
    IPS Belt Tensioner and Handlebar Riser from Lamonster
    K&N air filter
    INNOVV K5
    Wilbers Nite Line Shocks
    RLS Cat Delete
    Floating Rotors with EBC Brakes for the front
    I am now broke

I Should mention the Boss has a 900 Ryker Ralli next to my bike
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, check belt alignment and tension. Neither should have changed if they did the job correctly as no adjustments should have been necessary to get everything back exactly the same. 'Should' and 'Done Correctly' being the key words in this sentence.

If done incorrectly. Both tension and alignment could be off.

If both of these are as they should be. Then ride for a few hundred miles and see if things settle down. If it is just a seating in issue. A small dab of valve grinding compound on a belt tooth can ease the transition. It will migrate to the rest of the belt.

Clover.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-13-2023 at 07:33 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I was just going to say the same thing Ron said. When I originally had my intermittent sprocket replaced, I had to completely take the belt off and wash it. The front sprocket was so clean it was squealing like a pig. I live on a dirt road so didn’t want to spray belt or use much grease to attract dirt. After I cleaned the belt I put one super small small dab of Mobil 1 synthetic grease with no moly on sprocket flange inside and outside and it stopped immediately and never came back. When I got my recall sprocket put on ( metal color) they followed everything to the T even waiting for 24 hours to let locktite set. They put a dab of BRP marine grease on it and said that it might move and make noise until the used belt forms to the new teeth. My belt was in good condition so he said no need to replace. It will form in. Mine does seem to be running a touch more out than before but I also got a new tire put on and the belt does move in and out as it’s driven. No vibrations ever and I have put just over 11500 miles on mine. Also make sure if you a running a belt tensioner roller that it is square against belt again. If not that tensioner will wear inside or outside and push the belt in or out a touch. I replaced my rooler, cleaned the tensioner, replaced the rear wheel all at same time almost as soon as front sprocket was put on due to my maintenance schedule. Just thinking out loud about double checking the belt tensioner alignment.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-13-2023 at 08:26 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your replies. I will try the lube first & then maybe adjust the alignment & experiment with the belt tension. Not much faith in my local Dealer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-16-2023 at 01:22 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I was just going to say the same thing Ron said. When I originally had my intermittent sprocket replaced, I had to completely take the belt off and wash it. The front sprocket was so clean it was squealing like a pig. I live on a dirt road so didn’t want to spray belt or use much grease to attract dirt. After I cleaned the belt I put one super small small dab of Mobil 1 synthetic grease with no moly on sprocket flange inside and outside and it stopped immediately and never came back. When I got my recall sprocket put on ( metal color) they followed everything to the T even waiting for 24 hours to let locktite set. They put a dab of BRP marine grease on it and said that it might move and make noise until the used belt forms to the new teeth. My belt was in good condition so he said no need to replace. It will form in. Mine does seem to be running a touch more out than before but I also got a new tire put on and the belt does move in and out as it’s driven. No vibrations ever and I have put just over 11500 miles on mine. Also make sure if you a running a belt tensioner roller that it is square against belt again. If not that tensioner will wear inside or outside and push the belt in or out a touch. I replaced my rooler, cleaned the tensioner, replaced the rear wheel all at same time almost as soon as front sprocket was put on due to my maintenance schedule. Just thinking out loud about double checking the belt tensioner alignment.
    Interesting. I may give this a try. Thanks.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...