Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I got the Ryker back last night. I had a bunch of engine codes pointing to the steering sensor. they would reset it, take it for a ride and when they got back and checked it, it would be off again by a few degrees.

they changed out the bushing on that sensor. Its fine for now, but will be interesting how long it'll last for.

the most interesting part is that my Ryker is now out of warranty, but BRP honored this as a "warranty" repair because it's now become a "known" issue.

I smell a recall coming once they can actually pin down the cause and get an actually fix for the problem. But it does seem like they are trying to figure it out.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. I filled out the NHTSA form a while ago, hope everybody does.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix38 View Post
    they would reset it, take it for a ride and when they got back and checked it, it would be off again by a few degrees.
    Exactly what mine did, AFTER I installed the Steering Update Kit. I had to also replace the SAS to fix.

Spyder Garage

Same problem with a happy ending (not that kind) so far.
    2021 600 with just under 12,000 mi. Dealer was able to replicate it every time but no clue what to do. Sent them a copy of this thread (hope that was ok) which they said was very helpful (thanks everybody). They changed yaw sensor, no change. Installed steering update kit, no change. Changed steering stem bushing, fixed. He said something about the pitman arm bushing had just a touch of slop causing the sas to throw everything off. Only got to ride about 50 mi but it seems ok. The best part? All it cost me was a round trip.
    Hope this helps.
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

Super helpful! Thank you, MarkN.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

MarkN,

Would you have any idea the part number for the steering stem bushing?

https://www.canamoemparts.com/oempar...teering-column

#70, I'm guessing?

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Sarah,
    That might be the one but the part number is different. They put in #709402919. I have the work order but don’t know how to post it. Hope this helps.
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

I believe #709401956 (Sarah's #70) is superceded by your #709402919.

https://alloutcycles.com/Shopping/OE...6-0ab35a061446
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

Thanks, you two. So the old part number is listed for my 2022, and 709402919 is listed for the '23 and '24 bikes. Hopefully it's an upgraded bushing. My bike has never thrown a code. If you were in my shoes would you buy the bushing and change it yourself, or go to the dealer with the sad story and try to get them to do it? I have the extended warranty.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Double checking with the BRP parts catalog confirms the change for 2022 Rykers too.

steering column bushing part numbers.jpg

Don't know your dealer or your relationship with them but if it were me, I'd start there. You have a warranty and you can always do it yourself later. imho
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

Well heck. canamoemparts.com lists the old part # for the 19-22 bikes. Thank you, StalkyTracker.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Something to think about - If you take it to the dealer and hopefully it’ll be covered 100% like mine was, it’ll get put in the system and maybe BRP will take notice and do something about it and make a whole lot of people happy.
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yes, you're right, both of you. I'll start with a call to Can Am.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

OK, The Can-Am rep gave me a customer service case number and offered help finding a dealer in case I wasn't aware of the options in my area. Once the bike is at the dealer I'm to ask the service tech to contact Can Am Technical Department first thing. I have an appointment with CC Powersports in Louisville next week. I'm going in with with the TSB, part numbers and a pile of notes. Those poor folks will be

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

When they did my left turn issue, it was detected right away. The problem was that every time they fixed something, the weather was so bad they couldn’t test it so it took quite awhile. I hope your experience goes as well as mine did.
    Hopefully they’ll do the fuel pump recall while it’s there.
    2012 RSS
    2022 RT Limited
    2021 Ryker 600
    2021 600 , Black/Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the fuel pump reminder, I'll add that to my list.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Doug's dad required surgery and a long hospital stay, so we've been running behind. Dropped the bike off at the dealership day before yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Picked up the bike yesterday. Long story short, per Can Am Headquarters all bets are off as long as I'm running a car tire on the rear. Nathan (service manager) said he didn't volunteer the information, Can Am asked specifically. Nathan said the rep told him the bike must be wearing the factory tire and throw a code or the tech needs to be able to replicate the issue. Once that happens the rep will authorize whatever fix is necessary. Nathan said my '22 already has the updated steering kit and steering stem bushing, so MarkN's fix didn't apply, and all those components were in fine shape per their inspection. Nathan and Josh (service tech) said they both rode the bike and couldn't get it to act up in any way. That doesn't surprise me, it was at least 8,000 between bobbles on our trip last summer. So they told me put the Kenda on the rear, ride till I throw a code and bring it right back to them. They had me sit on the bike while they reset the SAS and YAW rate sensors, with some weight stacked on the rack to serve as luggage. They also installed the DESS key post and programmed my keys. Didn't charge me for anything, and were as kind, patient and respectful as they could be. This was at CC Powersports in Louisville KY, and based on my experience so far I'd recommend them to anybody. So I got on the bike and rode the 100 miles home and sure enough, the bike bobbled on that one particular curve coming in from town. Wouldn't you know it.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

In my case, the SAS was bad and would not hold a reset (actually a rezero). That is, I would zero it, ride, then it would be off by about 5 degrees. When they reset the SAS, they would have seen what the reading was before rezroing it. If it was at or near zero, the SAS is likely OK, but if it was off when they reset it, I would question if it is good.

Another clue is if your turn signals often do not self cancel.
    Last edited by DickB; 02-05-2024 at 05:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you DickB, I didn't ask any questions when they reset the sensors on Friday, but I'll call Tuesday and see what I can find out. My left turn signal has failed to cancel at least twice. Thanks again.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Picked up the bike yesterday. Long story short, per Can Am Headquarters all bets are off as long as I'm running a car tire on the rear. Nathan (service manager) said he didn't volunteer the information, Can Am asked specifically. Nathan said the rep told him the bike must be wearing the factory tire and throw a code or the tech needs to be able to replicate the issue. Once that happens the rep will authorize whatever fix is necessary. Nathan said my '22 already has the updated steering kit and steering stem bushing, so MarkN's fix didn't apply, and all those components were in fine shape per their inspection. Nathan and Josh (service tech) said they both rode the bike and couldn't get it to act up in any way. That doesn't surprise me, it was at least 8,000 between bobbles on our trip last summer. So they told me put the Kenda on the rear, ride till I throw a code and bring it right back to them. They had me sit on the bike while they reset the SAS and YAW rate sensors, with some weight stacked on the rack to serve as luggage. They also installed the DESS key post and programmed my keys. Didn't charge me for anything, and were as kind, patient and respectful as they could be. This was at CC Powersports in Louisville KY, and based on my experience so far I'd recommend them to anybody. So I got on the bike and rode the 100 miles home and sure enough, the bike bobbled on that one particular curve coming in from town. Wouldn't you know it.

Sarah
    the rear tire makes no difference. The bike doesn't know what brand tire is on the back, just the tire size itself matters. anyone, including BRP techs that say otherwise have no idea what they are talking about. Also, many of us are having the same issue with the stock crap kenda tires.. so it's not a rear tire issue. BRP gets really defensive about their deal with Kenda because the tires are junk.

I'm waiting for spring to hit so I can get more miles on mine. But after the last fix it seemed to be ok.

are your tire pressues right? if the front tires are low it can cause issues too. I run anywhere from 18-22 psi in the fronts depending on what kind of riding I want to do.

if your signals are not canceling that its the SAS sensor.
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

Yes, I run my tires in that range, and I've had the left signal stay on at least twice. The shop guys knew it had nothing to do with the tire, but the Can Am rep asked for the details. The Ventus V2 is right at the wear indicators and I've got a near new factory rear in the garage so I'll mount it up and we'll see how it goes. Might as well use it up anyway. I'd just shut up and shell out for a new SAS if I knew it'd resolve the issue.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

I understand it's a trip for you, but it might pay to go back to your dealer, have them hook up BUDS, and read the SAS angle to see if it has strayed off zero.

Spyder Garage

Hmm. That's a fine idea. I suppose I should put the factory tire back on first, otherwise that will be a hitch in things. Thank you very much, DickB.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

I understand that they're being a stickler about the tire, but that would have nothing to do with a bad SAS. Leave the tire as is, consider it a nice diversion ride, take it in and have them check (might as well check the yaw sensor as well).