Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker turning left Issues

I have this really weird issue when I left at random speeds. The right tire will will act like the vvs or abs is kicking in and just bog down. It happens randomly on any type of turn at any speed. Or the fun part, it doesn't happen at all on some rides.

turning right is no issue at. I can hit a long right hand sweeper and full throttle no problem at all. If I try to take the same turn the other direction going left, it shuts me down right away.

The handlebars also fight me on left turns. Another weird thing, I hit a bump, heard a metal sound and all of sudden the issue was gone for a while.

I don't get any warning lights at all on the LCD screen, so I'm thinking this is a mechanical issue, but I just can't pin down what it getting binded up or what is rubbing somewhere, its just so random I can find it.

Anyone else run into something like this?
    2013 RS , Custom black and green

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I should have mentioned I have a 2022 Ryker Sport. Looks like the 22's already came with that fix.

Not sure how I can find out if it actually came with it already installed or not. This is a recent problem. I already have 7000 miles on it and bought it new.

Spyder Garage

Maybe this follow-up from Captainmal may help.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...senger-Footpeg
    2023 Ryker Rally - Heritage White III
    Sport Windshield
    GPS Holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix38 View Post
    I should have mentioned I have a 2022 Ryker Sport. Looks like the 22's already came with that fix.

Not sure how I can find out if it actually came with it already installed or not. This is a recent problem. I already have 7000 miles on it and bought it new.
    Question is, was it broken in on all 2022s or partway through the model year? I would call Can Am and ask. I called with questions about this update kit, and the person with whom I spoke was very helpful.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...ontact-us.html

Spyder Garage

Even if you have the newer parts, the problem could be due to a faulty SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) or yaw rate sensor. After installing the kit, I determined that my SAS was faulty, and a replacement SAS finally cured everything.

Spyder Garage

I removed the rear passenger peg and it actually got a little bit better, but it is still there. Just really weird.

I don't have time to have it sit at the dealer for 3 weeks right now. I'll take it when I can and see what they say. If that SAS sensor wasn't such a pain to take out I would just do it myself.

Spyder Garage

I’ve got the random left hand curve/rear wheel wobble thing. Lots of folks do according to the FB groups. Per the talk there, right hand curve problems are due to the SAS sensor, left hand curve problems are due to the YAW sensor. I don’t know. I can take right hand curves like a demon and never have a bobble, but a left hand curve is liable to give the bike fits. It’s never thrown a code or caused anything on the dash to flash.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    Per the talk there, right hand curve problems are due to the SAS sensor, left hand curve problems are due to the YAW sensor.
    That's not correct. There are three potential contributors, right, left or both: SAS, yaw sensor, and pitman arm bearings PLUS additional parts needed. I had to apply the Steering Update kit and replace a faulty SAS to fix the problem on my 2019 Rally.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for the information DickB. I want it fixed so I’ll be taking all this to the dealer.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for the information DickB. I want it fixed so I’ll be taking all this to the dealer.

Sarah
    I hope you have better luck than I did. Let us know what happens. This is from a recent post of mine:

As I got more comfortable with the motorcycle a few weeks into riding it, I noticed a definite left turn bias in the stability control kicking in. In fact, it would never kick in on right turns, no matter how aggressively I cornered. Finally, at 11,100 miles, I took it to a dealer. I had read this service bulletin:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81946-0001.pdf

which I pointed out to the service writer. He was a bit arrogant and dismissed it. I doubt he even mentioned it to the tech. Both he and the tech said that they rode the motorcycle, and there was no problem. I suspect that they just didn't push it hard enough in corners. “TEST RIDE AT LOW AND MODERATE SPEEDS, TURNS BOTH DIRECTIONS. NO ABNORMAL FEELING... NORMAL FOR A RYKER.” The tech said tire pressure, alignment, sensors were all good. $170 for basically nothing.

Still frustrated with this left turn thing, a couple months ago I decided to order the Ryker Steering Update Kit P/N 219800513 and install it myself. Installation calls for resetting the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) and yaw sensor, which I found to be necessary, so I bit the bullet and got a BUDS2. I like to do my own repairs, so I should have gotten the BUDS2 day one. The closest dealer is 2 hours from me, so any trip to a dealer costs me a day, or in some cases two days and a trailer rental. No more. $30 for the kit; $600 for the BUDS2 (which I have also used on my Sea Doo Spark). The left turn bias was now gone, but the stability control still seemed wonky, kicking in on what I felt was not-that-aggressive cornering either left or right. Had I taken a step backwards? I reconnected BUDS2 and noted that the SAS was off by 4.9 degrees, so I reset it again. The wonkiness continued. Checked SAS a third time, and it was again off by about 5 degrees. This is not normal. I bought a used SAS for $90 (Can Am is pretty proud of that SAS, as a new one is $225), installed it, and rezeroed it. Finally, the problem was fixed – I now get stability control kicking in only on very aggressive cornering.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for sharing your experience and the details. I hope it goes better than that for me, but we’ll see. It’s a fairly random occurrence on my bike I can see how a tech would be left scratching their head.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

So finally took it to the dealer. It was out of alignment. They did an alignment and reset the sensors. It's better than it was and much more ridable now. But something is still off, which is weird, because it tracked straight, and I don't see any abnormal tire wear. But hey, it's better, but not perfect.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Glad you've seen some improvement, at least. But if the bike can hang any sort of right hand curve every single time without a bobble, it ought to to do the same for the left. Sometimes my bike takes so many left hand curves without the issue that I think it's cured itself, but then Bang! there it is again. My bike has never thrown a code, either. Frustrating, for sure.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

it's so weird. some corners it's fine. Took a nice sweeping left turn at 50mph.. no issues. another slow corner at 30mph.. it does the weird thing..

just doesn't make any sense. I'm going to remove the wheel sensors and do some testing. It'll be in limp mode, but I'll be able to see if it's a mechanical problem, or if it really is the VSS system going crazy.

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted, I'm anxious to hear how it goes. Good luck!!

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Another weird thing, I hit a bump, heard a metal sound and all of sudden the issue was gone for a while.
    Anyone else run into something like this?
    I would suspect that the SAS is bad. A clue for me was that my turn signals would not always self cancel. In my case, I would reset the SAS with BUDS2, drive, then check and the SAS was off again by 5 degrees. The SAS is used to determine that the handlebars are straight again after a turn. Do you notice your turn signal not cancelling?

Spyder Garage

it's most definitely the VSS system. I took the speed sensors off and did some testing, got the wheel to raise off the ground pretty high on a turn. so it's not a mechanical issue. BRP really needs to sort their electronics out.
    so far left turns have been ok, seems not to freak out as much. But if it starts getting worse again I'll have to have them reset it yet again.

Spyder Garage

Rode just under 100 miles yesterday and mine acted up several times, definitely more often than usual. And on one occasion the left turn signal failed to cancel, that's never happened before. By "speed sensors" do you mean the YAW and SAS sensors? Thanks so much for posting with an update.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

And on one occasion the left turn signal failed to cancel, that's never happened before. Sarah
    That's indicative of a SAS issue.

Spyder Garage

Yep. The bike had very few miles on it when this first occurred, so it would seem like a faulty sensor from day one. It's never thrown a code, and the issue is so random I expect it will be difficult for a service tech to recreate. If I were to buy a new sensor and replace it myself I'd be concerned the new one is just as wonky as the one in it.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

so some updates. I disabled the vss and did some testing. I did not have any issues. Although I did get it up on two wheels. So the issue is 100% the VSS system or sensors involved with that system.

It's currently at my dealer now to look at again. the tech told me he's got 3 other rykers right now in the shop with the same exact issue. He's been back and forth with BRP HQ about it.

It's a platinum dealer and they know me pretty well, he cannot officially tell me anything, but he said without saying that he fully expects a recall on this issue once BRP has a solid fix for it.

Spyder Garage

Disabled VSS? How?

Spyder Garage

it's an unwritten rule here not to explain how to actually do it. There's a couple different ways, I did the easy route just for testing.

there's enough info out there on how to do it if you search hard enough in the right places.

Spyder Garage

so some updates. I disabled the vss and did some testing. I did not have any issues. Although I did get it up on two wheels. So the issue is 100% the VSS system or sensors involved with that system.

It's currently at my dealer now to look at again. the tech told me he's got 3 other rykers right now in the shop with the same exact issue. He's been back and forth with BRP HQ about it.

It's a platinum dealer and they know me pretty well, he cannot officially tell me anything, but he said without saying that he fully expects a recall on this issue once BRP has a solid fix for it.
    Good to know, thank you.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport