Spyder Garage

Default Removing magnet from Left Passenger Footpeg

IMG_6220.jpg

Here is the magnet in that circular appendage on top of the left footage. As that passenger peg is deployed the magnet moves into a position to activate more stability control and block out Sport mode. Well I have a problem with that. Riding two-up you lose power and get slammed around making left turns. $200 at a dealer and they can duplicate the issue, confirming right hand turns are not a problem. They reset a longitudinal sensor and the SAS (whatever that is). Got a hint that removal of the footage magnet might help.

Well look at the picture. Do I drill out the magnet?

Will removal of that ring allow me to just knock out the entire magnet housing?

How about grinding off the magnet ring without removing the outside housing?

Kind of concerned they may be some kind of spring inside to cause me trouble if I take the thing further apart. What do you think?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    IMG_6220.jpg

Here is the magnet in that circular appendage on top of the left footage. As that passenger peg is deployed the magnet moves into a position to activate more stability control and block out Sport mode. Well I have a problem with that. Riding two-up you lose power and get slammed around making left turns. $200 at a dealer and they can duplicate the issue, confirming right hand turns are not a problem. They reset a longitudinal sensor and the SAS (whatever that is). Got a hint that removal of the footage magnet might help.

Well look at the picture. Do I drill out the magnet?

Will removal of that ring allow me to just knock out the entire magnet housing?

How about grinding off the magnet ring without removing the outside housing?

Kind of concerned they may be some kind of spring inside to cause me trouble if I take the thing further apart. What do you think?
    It appears that a TORX bolt is holding it in ?????? .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It appears that a TORX bolt is holding it in ?????? .....Mike
    That's easy. Only thing is if I take that apart my gut feeling is there is a spring that will "unspring" and cause me hell. If not, then there may be a way to get inside that ring and knock that magnet assembly out.

Kind of one thing I am hoping to find out. I will not unscrew that until I either have a clue what might happen or give up and just go for it.

Got another idea and that is to drill a hole in the bak part of that magnet housing. It looks like the thing is epoxied in. Might be able to pound it out and maybe re-insert it if need be.

Spyder Garage

Can you look at a breakdown of those parts in the manual?

Spyder Garage

Ok, mine is new and the icon on the dash would not come on when the footpeg was down.
    Took it to the dealer and they had it fixed in no time.
    They said there was a tab covering the magnet.
    Might try just putting something over the magnet.
    Not saying it will work, but easier than taking things apart.

Spyder Garage

Might try just putting something over the magnet.
    Not saying it will work, but easier than taking things apart.

Maybe. Not sure what might block a magnet from working and how it would stay there when the footage is going up and down.

Something to think about.

Spyder Garage

Y’all Assuming is just one sensor, to detect passengers granted requirement of max mount & components makes possible but not guaranteed especially with safety involved. There are probably redundancy sensors or something.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    That's easy. Only thing is if I take that apart my gut feeling is there is a spring that will "unspring" and cause me hell. If not, then there may be a way to get inside that ring and knock that magnet assembly out.

Kind of one thing I am hoping to find out. I will not unscrew that until I either have a clue what might happen or give up and just go for it.

Got another idea and that is to drill a hole in the bak part of that magnet housing. It looks like the thing is epoxied in. Might be able to pound it out and maybe re-insert it if need be.
    Go to an on-line parts seller and look at the FICHE' for that area.... it will show ALL the parts involved ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Fixed my own problem and now YOU get an education.

IMG_6221.jpg

Here is the magnet and a keyed center piece removed. What I thought was a spring holding it into a detent turned out to be a ball detent. Of course any slop in that ball detent would allow the peg to rattle in either an up or down position but that's another issue. In the picture I have removed the keyed holder with the magnet. What is left is a rather large open hole.

Solved that issue with a series of washers to both cover and hold the center mounting screw tight.

IMG_6222.jpg

After this picture I primed the washer pack to deter corrosion, put the mess back together and --- SPORT Mode with the left passenger peg down. Other modes will access so I guess there is some traction control available in those modes. In Sport Mode, which I never could access as I only ride two-up, I also noticed a symbol saying something like "no Traction Control". GREAT. Now we can play without some stupid computer saying we can't.

Too old to go slow in the twists.

Spyder Garage

There is a TRB out on the left turn issue you have on the RYKER. Do a search.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Safecracker, what is a TRB? I don’t have passenger seat or pegs on my Ryker and I have the left hand curve/rear wheel wobble issue. Thanks

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Sarah, search the is site. There is a fix for the left wheel lifting and turning the nanny on when turning hard left. check out this link. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...left+wheel+fix
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Yep, got it, thank you!

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport