Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Funny that you should mention that. I had the recall done on mine, but had a conversation with the repair shop during the process. Although they have done some repairs because of the red dust, most of their repairs and failures in their shop were from the older RSS and RT models with the V-twin. He tends to think that it is the luck of the draw as to whether there is a failure or not. Mainly caused by incorrect assembly in the manufacturing process.
    Interesting ...... You've been here almost as long as I, but I don't recall the " V-Twin " Spyder's as having SPROCKET issues. ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    If one reads the data for Loctite 648, the cure is dependent on material (in this case steel), gap between fitted parts, and temperature. 50% cure strength is achieved in 1 hour @ 22C (72F) with a gap of 0.05mm (0.002"), with 90% strength @ 24 hours. [https://docs.rs-online.com/5d25/0900766b800b9992.pdf]. If the shaft was worn, creating a larger gap (0.25mm/0.010"), the material will only achieve 65-70% of design strength.
    Loctite 609 is what is stated to use.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting ...... You've been here almost as long as I, but I don't recall the " V-Twin " Spyder's as having SPROCKET issues. ..... JMHO .... Mike
    See reply 3

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...67#post1629367
    Last edited by Freddy; 08-09-2023 at 07:34 PM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Thanks for that ..... I guess the reason I didn't recall those posts was because it was posted in ..... 2010 ..... I wasn't here until 2011. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that ..... I guess the reason I didn't recall those posts was because it was posted in ..... 2010 ..... I wasn't here until 2011. ..... Mike
    It was May last year that you replied to and acknowledged those earlier threads.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    askitee

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    HEY ASKITEE, I think you could clear this up in your mind and ours by posting all of the part numbers off of your dealers paperwork.
    Your making claims for sprocket repair 4 times is unheard of and confusing.

I have posted the correct sprocket numbers in an above post and below for the sprocket recall.

COPY OF RECALL SERVICE BULLETIN, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V352-1338.pdf

T.P.
    I don't have the paperwork. I know the 2nd last sprocket replaced was the recall version, the one prior was the white one, and was told by the dealer the sprocket was done again this visit.

While ASKITEE posted this about his sprocket recall work, He has no paperwork from his dealer to prove what was done.
    T.P.
    The question was asked on the forum and I replied, and there is no confusion in my mind. Once I've had a chance to read the paperwork I don't keep it.

• The original was replaced with the White Painted Sprocket
    • The next was the recall, the then service manager indicated he'd get it done while in for the service (cant recall if it was 60K or 75K).
    • The last was while it was in for some insurance work + Wheel alignment a month or so ago (84k Kms). The Wheel alignment didn't get done because they had to redo the sprocket.

Additionally I have just received another recall letter from BRP. I might email the workshop and see if they can offer come details.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I mentioned that to them also. Saying that I thought it was a sprocket on the 1330's issue. But he assured me that he had done more repairs on the older models. But this was also when I was having the repairs done on my 2016 F3T, which is when they were using the white sprocket. I know that another has come out since then, and is the one that they used on my 2016 F3L. Not making it up, just sharing the information that was provided to me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    It was May last year that you replied to and acknowledged those earlier threads.
    Thanks for this also .... I APOLOGIZE for any and all errors I make due to age related memory loss .... One of the wonderful things that a few members here do is monitor posts and threads by other members and correct any errors they find ....... again Thank you for your diligence ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I was planning on getting the recall done while it is in there for a Spark plug change. But I have the white sprocket that I had put on 2 years ago. And the white sprocket has no red dust. Maybe I need to not get the sprocket replaced.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I was planning on getting the recall done while it is in there for a Spark plug change. But I have the white sprocket that I had put on 2 years ago. And the white sprocket has no red dust. Maybe I need to not get the sprocket replaced.
    Did you get a recall notice, acdc? If not, then there is definitely no need. But if you did, you really should take it in for the mandatory recall, otherwise you may find it declared “not roadworthy” at some point.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this also .... I APOLOGIZE for any and all errors I make due to age related memory loss .... snip>:
    You and me both.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Did you get a recall notice, acdc? If not, then there is definitely no need. But if you did, you really should take it in for the mandatory recall, otherwise you may find it declared “not roadworthy” at some point.

Pete
    I did get the recall notice. But since that time, I just check it once a month and no red dust at all. Nice and clean. That was why maybe I shouldn't let them screw it up possibly when I have a perfectly good working sprocket as it is. :-)
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I did get the recall notice. But since that time, I just check it once a month and no red dust at all. Nice and clean. That was why maybe I shouldn't let them screw it up possibly when I have a perfectly good working sprocket as it is. :-)
    Yeah, I completely understand that very understandable logic, acdc. But not having a mandatory safety recall done may bite you on the bum a little later on.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

So is the correct Loctite 609 or the 648? Does it come with the recall sprocket ? Can we conform for all to read ... and the correct cure time is 24 hours to achieve the correct bond?

Lastly, should we be insisting that the dealer/ installer leave it set over night as per the BRP instructions, not just the vague NHTSA recall one?

OT but it seems to me that we should also be insisting that pics of the removal and install including bolt and spacer be taken to ensure they actually do it correctly...

What do you guys think?
    2024 RT SEa To Sky ( back ahome after screen issues fixed looking forward to the BajaRon event May 1-5 )

2023 RT Sea to Sky Shadow Green ( guess what NO errors at all in 8 months of owning....)

Spyder Garage

Also,is responsibility of tech to check the expiration date of the Loctite before use. Things like that and cure times is not on job plans or bulletins cause is common sense of a real tech to read instructions of the chemical products they work on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    So is the correct Loctite 609 or the 648? Does it come with the recall sprocket ? Can we conform for all to read ... and the correct cure time is 24 hours to achieve the correct bond?

Lastly, should we be insisting that the dealer/ installer leave it set over night as per the BRP instructions, not just the vague NHTSA recall one?

OT but it seems to me that we should also be insisting that pics of the removal and install including bolt and spacer be taken to ensure they actually do it correctly...

What do you guys think?
    These are the questions a lawyer would be asking BRP in the event of a compensation claim for damages arising from further pulley failures. Some dealerships have live video of any work but I'm unaware of any in my area.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

I'm more worried that the tech will not do a good cleaning job before installation than the down time before use. Many will have a good coating of moly on the splines and if not cleaned off completely it won't matter how long you let it set.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V352-1338.pdf

This is still the last information on the sprocket recall at 317 days old. LOTS of miss-information still being posted here.

https://datasheets.tdx.henkel.com/LOCTITE-609-en_US.pdf

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 08-13-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WRCLVR View Post
    Your first question is answered on the Recall notice itself posted above, WRCLVR - it is 609 or 603 (603 is the global version). The correct cure time is whatever is displayed as the application instructions on those products.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Loctite 609

TYPICAL PERFORMANCE OF CURED MATERIAL
    Adhesive Properties
    After 24 hours @ 22 °C
    Compressive Shear Strength, ISO 10123:
    Steel pins and collars N/mm² ≥15.8LMS
    (psi) (≥2,290)
    After 1 hour @ 22 °C
    Steel pins and collars N/mm² ≥10.3LMS
    (psi) (≥1,490)

So in simple terms half as strong again at 24 hours v riding off after 1 hour.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    TYPICAL PERFORMANCE OF CURED MATERIAL
    Adhesive Properties
    After 24 hours @ 22 °C
    Steel pins and collars N/mm² ≥15.8LMS
    (psi) (≥2,290)
    After 1 hour @ 22 °C
    Steel pins and collars N/mm² ≥10.3LMS
    (psi) (≥1,490)

So in simple terms half as strong again at 24 hours v riding off after 1 hour.
    Very interesting, Cobwebs. Hopefully, 1490 will be strong enough to prevent issues

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.