Spyder Garage

Default Idiots and Screwdrivers - damaged ignition, can I move the Locked Spyder?

Hi Everyone,

Some idiot with a screwdriver thought he could steal my Spyder by trashing the ignition switch. Well, he did trash the switch! And ripped the drivers-side mirror off, too. Knocked my elderly neighbor down onto the concrete when he tried to stop him. (My neighbor is bruised, but ok. I'm madder about that, than the Spyder!)

I live in Garland, TX, which is a suburb of Dallas. The couple of dealerships I've called either can't or won't help. I can fix it myself, but the insurance company tells me I need a dealership to write an estimate for the parts and labor

Long story short, I'm ready to bypass insurance and dealers altogether. But I've never worked on it w/o being able to move the handle bars or release the parking brake. I've got a stand that I use to move it around the garage, but wanted to check and see if anyone here had any experience working on a "frozen" Spyder without tearing up the tranny or something else important?

It's a 2016 RT Limited.

Thanks for any help! BeePer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Buy an electronic service manual. There is a Flat Rate Manual section. Use this to calculate labor hours.

Here's the link to BRP PartsHouse so you can calculate parts costs. https://www.canamseadooskidooparts.c...t-000g3g-parts

Perhaps your insurance company will accept this information if presented as quasi-repair order.

I never locked my handlebars so have nothing to contribute.

Parking brake is fairly easy to disconnect at the rear caliper.

The clutch is engaged via line pressure while engine is running therefore disengaged when engine isn't running. There will be clutch drag but that's all so push to your heart's desire.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 08-02-2023 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added repair order suggestion
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Bert! I have the Service Manual and know about the Flat Rate Section. Ins Adjuster said it needs to be on dealer letterhead. At this point, I think I'll send a screen shot of the flat rate and invoice the parts.
    Appreciate it! Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear probably also messed up cables for seat & frunk & antenna for the DESS. You will NEED Original key(s)if any programming is to be done later. Good luck
    PM sent

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Front tire on a small furniture dolly will steer a locked front end for moving around the shop.

You state insurance commissioner might help convince the dealerships to move off the pot.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 08-03-2023 at 05:20 AM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your troubles, your friend should have gone out with a bat instead of a cane and cracked the dub between the eyes. One thing I can tell you about the ignition switch is there's a whole lot going on behind that tumbler, I replaced a seat cable once, swore to God that is I had to mess with the key switch again I would let a dealer do it. Good Luck! I was not smart enough to get the tec manual that I have now, nor did I take the key switch out to get behind it, I know I was a dumb @#$, and yes, I came out bleeding like a stuck pig. It was a blast!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Any luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Any luck
    No sir! Dealership never returned my calls after the initial one. Called BRP to figure out which parts I needed because the ones in my manual didn't jive with BRPs website or the ones at the website Mr. Bert gave me. All BRP was concerned about was finding out "exactly what the dealership said", after I told her they were lame! I asked why she cared more about that than answering my questions about the part numbers. Well, then she got this smart-a__ tone in her voice and I said I'm hanging up now. Have a nice day.

I'm not a complete dingbat . Ok, maybe a little, but I have an A & P license and know my way around a toolbox and Tech/Service manual. Heck, they even gave me an RN license and people let me work on them, too! But I digress. Since I've never done this particular work before on a Spyder, I want all my ducks in a row, if possible. I think I'm gonna have to tear it down and see if I can match some numbers. I looked at what goes into replacing the ignition switch. I think filming myself tearing it down will help me get it back together correctly. I have limited time to work on it. Maybe a couple of hours one day a week.

Anyway, thanks to all for the info and advice. I'm all ears if anyone can think of anything else. Thanks again, Brenda

Spyder Garage

Here is the online catalog, it is rather hard to use but with time you should be able to find what you need:
    https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/..._ONR_EN_US_USD

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brandr View Post
    Thanks, Bert! I have the Service Manual and know about the Flat Rate Section. Ins Adjuster said it needs to be on dealer letterhead. At this point, I think I'll send a screen shot of the flat rate and invoice the parts.
    Appreciate it! Thanks again!
    Got an old invoice from them, make your own letterhead. Cut and paste from a scan should do it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze